Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Restart. Pre Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
A season of empty stadiums can only help us. No building tension and pressure from the crowd, no umpires getting off screwing Collingwood fans in the flesh. Just pure footy. Round 1 gave us a small glimpse.
\

If every week is like round 1, I'm all for no crowds all season haha
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:54 pm

K wrote:

The premiership race has been unfair for the past 35 years, if not more. Why do people think this is any worse?

Very true I reckon K. With the present plan of playing every other team just once, that alone removes one of the factors creating an uneven competition for the 8 this season.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
A season of empty stadiums can only help us. No building tension and pressure from the crowd, no umpires getting off screwing Collingwood fans in the flesh. Just pure footy. Round 1 gave us a small glimpse.

I agree with this entirely RH.

I have often wondered whether the crowds have far more effect on umpiring decisions, rather than on the players' efforts and performance?

In the past, coaches have openly suggested that home crowds have influenced umpires at venues like Adelaide Oval and Subiaco when interstate teams were playing there.
On the other hand, apart from the those exceptional circumstances where a hostile crowd will boo a particular player eg Adam Goodes, Jobe Watson, or have a particular chant that accompanies a player eg Toooooves, most players say they are oblivious to the crowd during a game - it's just there as background noise.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:03 am

K wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:
To me the only difference is that this year's flag may not be awarded to the most skillful or best coached team, ...

Shocked Shocked
How is that a difference?

The premiership race has been unfair for the past 35 years, if not more. Why do people think this is any worse?

Piesnchess wrote:
..., a Premiership won inside a massive empty stadium is NOT a true flag, many GFs have been decided by the roar of the crowd,make no mistake about that, 100 000 fans screaming their heads off is what REAL FOOTY AND GRAND FINALS is all about, this is not real, ...

That is really an extreme view. We lose GFs because of that stupid GF crowd. There weren't 100 000 GF crowds before the 1930s.

In the war years, the GF crowds were (in backwards order) 62986 (you think Carlton cares??), 43000, 42100 (you think Richmond cares??), 49000 (you think Essendon cares??).

Our 1927 flag was won in front of only 34551.
Our 1917 flag was won in front of only 28512.
Yes, those flags are real to me. Exclamation Exclamation

u totally forget the population of Melbourne and Victoria was far, far lower then, and for those days it was a damn good turnout of fans. Never has a GF been won with NO fans, there, no crowds, its insane, even my two sons had big crowd of a few hundred at their respective junior grand finals, this is just mickey mousse bullshit for the damn television rights, nothing more. Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 am

punkologist wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
\

it was just eerie and weird to me, just utterly ludicrous. u could hear crickets chirping in background nearly. Not for me.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:11 am

Piesnchess wrote:
u totally forget the population of Melbourne and Victoria was far, far lower then, and for those days it was a damn good turnout of fans. Never has a GF been won with NO fans, there, no crowds, its insane, even my two sons had big crowd of a few hundred at their respective junior grand finals, this is just mickey mousse bullshit for the damn television rights, nothing more. Rolling Eyes

That's irrelevant. The footballers hearing the crowd don't adjust the volume level to the total population of the state.

Before the war, in 1938, the crowd was 96486. (If you don't remember which club won and which side lost that GF, don't ask. Crying or Very sad ) In war time, things change.

You're elevating spectators to some cult status. Weird.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:12 pm

Piesnchess, so you're not going to even watch?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
this is just mickey mousse bullshit for the damn television rights, nothing more. Rolling Eyes

I really doubt whether the players and coaches will think it's mickey mousse!!! After all they will go through to get on the ground, I'm thinking they will want to make it well worth their trouble. Wink
Plus, you may be under-estimating how much most players love playing the game and engaging in the combative nature of it.

"damn televeision rights" are what's keeping the game afloat at the moment.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:12 pm

We can still play footy without a crowd (and win convincingly by 52 pts)

Without footy, a crowd becomes a pack of loiterers with no footy to watch.

Which comes first? Chicken or egg?

Footy or crowd?

It's a no brainer, but keep up with the whinging PNC Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
punkologist wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
\

it was just eerie and weird to me, just utterly ludicrous. u could hear crickets chirping in background nearly. Not for me.

I agree, it’s shockingly bad. But if it helps us win a flag, so be it.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 am

I think this fits here in the pre-game thread ..... I've been taking particular note, when viewing all media images and videos of the boys at training, of the condition of JDG. Blow me down, but I reckon he's become a lot leaner over the enforced lay-off. Smile Really pleased about this as I thought there was a risk he may have slackened off and ballooned out a bit instead. Pendles' biceps have gotten even bigger - he's rivalling Chris Tarrant in his hey day now Wink
K 

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
this is just mickey mousse bullshit for the damn television rights, nothing more. Rolling Eyes

I really doubt whether the players and coaches will think it's mickey mousse!!! ...

PPie, I'll have some of that Mickey Mousse, and if Pnc doesn't want his share I'll take his too.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Never has a GF been won with NO fans, there, no crowds, its insane, even my two sons had big crowd of a few hundred at their respective junior grand finals, this is just mickey mousse bullshit for the damn television rights, nothing more. Rolling Eyes

You're right, it's never happened, ever. So maybe you could wait until it does happen, or even until it is confirmed, before bellyaching about it any more. You're just repeating yourself ad naseum, we all know what you think about it. Had a gutfull of it frankly

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am

TV rights are 70 % of the AFLs income P&C and others, either stop whinging about it or come up with an alternative
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 pm

K wrote:

PPie, I'll have some of that Mickey Mousse, and if Pnc doesn't want his share I'll take his too.

Laughing Oh my, I'll have several servings of that!! Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12   

Jump to: