Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Assuming that they weren't deliberately trying to kill him, which just does not compute, I actually don't understand what they thought they were doing.

Was the goal to just hurt him until he agreed to not resist? Render him unconscious and load him in? I wouldn't consider either of those to be legitimate tactics for someone resisting arrest but I can't figure out what the goal was.

Me either! Totally subjective - but the photo of Chauvin with his hands in his pockets and knee embedded in Floyd's neck looking down at him with disdain - he looks like he is enjoying himself Shocked

Found this quite interesting - major cultural issues that it seems some have tried to change and failed.

Anger as local police union chief calls George Floyd a 'violent criminal'

Former Minneapolis police chief Janeé Harteau swiftly condemned Kroll in a tweet, and suggested that the letter reflected the attitudes that had blocked her efforts at reform of the police department.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/01/bob-kroll-george-floyd-minneapolis-police-union-chief

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm

I didn't think he looked like he was enjoying himself, to me it looked like he was feeling nothing. Not anger, not enjoyment, no visible emotion, he was just doing it like he was told to kneel on the footpath for 10 minutes.

That as much as anything is what does my head in about it, that surely cannot be a legitimate tactic that's frequently used and just went wrong this time.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:
interesting.

thanks for the explanation,

youd still think though, that saying results of the initial autopsy didnt give cause for criminal charges is a bit of a stretch.

But it did - the findings of the preliminary autopsy report were detailed in the criminal complaint that saw him charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter and the other three fired.

Now that the final report has been released with the ME classifying his death as a homicide, it will be interesting to see if the charges are upgraded (I don't know what 3rd degree murder actually means?) and the other 3 are charged?

Hopefully.

The first report on the first day said the finding didntpoint to criminal charges as there were extenuating circumstances.

Hopefully they all get charged hard

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I didn't think he looked like he was enjoying himself, to me it looked like he was feeling nothing. Not anger, not enjoyment, no visible emotion, he was just doing it like he was told to kneel on the footpath for 10 minutes.

That as much as anything is what does my head in about it, that surely cannot be a legitimate tactic that's frequently used and just went wrong this time.

This is what I have been saying, the fact none of them thoughtthey wer3 doing anything wrong. Look if he was swearing, kicking, spitting, obviously on some drug, Go for it, the tool deserves what ever, but this guy did nothing, he completely complied. I can’t get passed that.their attitude, like it was nothing. How many times has this not been caught on camera? I think 90% ofparents are much louderor stricter when no one is around, can you imagine when they are not being filmed? What were they thinking?

Now on another note, I hope everyone saw the news tonight, with manycops joining the protesters, taking a knee and trying so hard to mend bridges. All colours embracing, crying together. Floyd’s brother pleading for peace. That right there is the America I love.

This was always a powder keg ready to explode. The sheer quantity of people, the outdated constitution and those hanging on to their old beliefs, and of course the added threat of the guns. I was in Central Park the day a bomb went off there earlier in the morning, I was 2 states away when sandy hook happened, and I’ve walked the streets of Miami and New York late at night, and I’ve never felt afraid. Only once 27 years ago on our honeymoon in SAN Francisco, when a homeless man tried to take my bag. I ran into a shop and the shop owner chased him with a baseball bat! Yet I’ve been back to that city twice and loved it.

I’ve had many conversations about guns. Most don’t want them but feel they have no choice as there are so many on the street.

I don’t know where change will come from. Every time there is a mass shooting and the people rise up I hope this is the one. It’s an amazing place, so scenic, so diverse, a true melting pot. So much wrong. So much to be done. I don’t think my heart can shut the door on going back, and I truly hope to get there again one day. My next trip there will probably just be Alaska again, and Canada now.

I thought trump getting in would be a wake up call to other politicians. I’ve no idea what comes next. Hopefully someonewith the guts to make amendments to the amendments!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 pm

^

Yeah, well said, I agree and I'll go back when I can.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am

On the rioting and looting, I thought Amber Frost had a good observation (at around 19:25):

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/424-when-will-they-shoot-6120

Amber A’Lee Frost wrote:
People keep talking about, like, support the riots, support looting; don’t support the riots, don’t support looting; support the riots, don’t support looting ... but the thing about riots and looting is that, no matter who instigates them, they are not something that’s planned in some kind of a strategy – they’re a response to something. So saying like "oh, they’re good", "oh, they’re bad", that’s just like saying boiling water is good or bad. It’s like, look: the water gets to a certain temperature, and it will $$%^%%$ boil.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 am

Peter Hartcher, SMH:

"I was long baffled by the paradox of American competence – how could a nation with such supreme expertise in so many fields of endeavour produce such dismal national outcomes? A wise old Australian diplomat solved the puzzle for me quite a few years ago: "The expertise gets crowded out at the top.""

https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-us-is-tearing-itself-apart-because-its-political-system-has-failed-20200531-p54y6a.html
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 am

David wrote:
On the rioting and looting, I thought Amber Frost had a good observation (at around 19:25):

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/424-when-will-they-shoot-6120

Amber A’Lee Frost wrote:
People keep talking about, like, support the riots, support looting; don’t support the riots, don’t support looting; support the riots, don’t support looting ... but the thing about riots and looting is that, no matter who instigates them, they are not something that’s planned in some kind of a strategy – they’re a response to something. So saying like "oh, they’re good", "oh, they’re bad", that’s just like saying boiling water is good or bad. It’s like, look: the water gets to a certain temperature, and it will $�$%^%%$ boil.

That might hold water if there wasn't pallets of bricks being delivered around the country to riot locations. This might have started organically but it's been taken over by Antifa who've been masturbating about starting a revolution for the last 10 years.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PalletsOfBricks&src=typeahead_click
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:47 am

I saw someone suggest adopting this tactic from the Hong Kong protests: using bricks to stop police cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/mini-stonehenges-hong-kong-protesters-take-on-police-one-brick-at-a-time

Certainly a much more useful application of bricks than breaking shop windows, that's for sure.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 am

David wrote:
I saw someone suggest adopting this tactic from the Hong Kong protests: using bricks to stop police cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/mini-stonehenges-hong-kong-protesters-take-on-police-one-brick-at-a-time

Certainly a much more useful application of bricks than breaking shop windows, that's for sure.

I would love all these big corporates and social media virtue signalers to throw their weight behind pro-democracy rebels in Hong Kong instead of the barbarians at the gates in the USA.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:02 am

amen to that!

wont happen though, its racist!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:15 am

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:

I would love all these big corporates and social media virtue signalers to throw their weight behind pro-democracy rebels in Hong Kong instead of the barbarians at the gates in the USA.

I honestly suspect there's a lot less difference between the two than you think. Both are fighting an existential battle.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
David wrote:

I honestly suspect there's a lot less difference between the two than you think. Both are fighting an existential battle.

No they're not, but you sympathizing with Antifa isn't really a shock. This has absolutely nothing to do with the guy being killed by a cop anymore, if it ever did beyond the initial local protest.

What's going on now is chaos instigated by white communists. Plenty of video of otherwise peaceful protests turning when black bloc morons rock up and start smashing things and hurling bricks. Trump is about to send in the military and people are begging him to do it. All this will achieve is solidifying Federal power and after a few police hesitate and get killed by criminals they'll go back to what they were doing before.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Who's talking about Antifa? While I have no doubt they're involved in the protests and perhaps some of the destruction, they're hardly primary contributors. I think you (and Trump) are vastly exaggerating their numbers.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:02 pm

Apart from the people who're actually demonstrating about George and Police brutality against Blacks in general, the protests have been infiltrated by extremists of all flavours from Antifa on the left to Boogaloo and white supremacists on the right, all pushing their own agendas, instigating violence and illegal behaviour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 2 of 37   

Jump to: