Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that the Left is calling on militias to save them from tyranny is a figment of your overactive imagination.

We both know that what the Left needs is Tommy Robinson to arrive as The Avenging (If Slightly Tarnished) Angel to citizen-arrest the VW combi the 2 guys from Antifa are driving around the US.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:09 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-04/george-floyd-police-derek-chauvin-charges-second-degree-murder/12319112

The former Minneapolis police officer who knelt on the neck of George Floyd during the incident which led to his death is now facing a charge of second-degree unintentional murder.

As he upgraded the charge, Minnesota Attorney-General Keith Ellison also charged the former officers who were with Mr Chauvin during the incident — Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao — with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

All four were sacked shortly after video of the incident came to light.

Mr Floyd's family believe the former police officer should be facing a first-degree murder charge, their lawyer Benjamin Crump said following the announcement.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:20 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The idea that the Left is calling on militias to save them from tyranny is a figment of your overactive imagination.

We both know that what the Left needs is Tommy Robinson to arrive as The Avenging (If Slightly Tarnished) Angel to citizen-arrest the VW combi the 2 guys from Antifa are driving around the US.

I was answering a question that David asked you blithering moron.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:21 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-04/george-floyd-police-derek-chauvin-charges-second-degree-murder/12319112

Mr Floyd's family believe the former police officer should be facing a first-degree murder charge, their lawyer Benjamin Crump said following the announcement.[/i]

Do they make those names up? It's a ripper.

Mind you, would you like to be defended by a lawyer called Benjamin Crump?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:57 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

The former Minneapolis police officer who knelt on the neck of George Floyd during the incident which led to his death is now facing a charge of second-degree unintentional murder.

As he upgraded the charge, Minnesota Attorney-General Keith Ellison also charged the former officers who were with Mr Chauvin during the incident — Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao — with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

All four were sacked shortly after video of the incident came to light.

Mr Floyd's family believe the former police officer should be facing a first-degree murder charge, their lawyer Benjamin Crump said following the announcement.

I hope they don't over egg this, the last thing that you'd want is to charge him with something that required intent to kill and he gets found not guilty.

There should be no doubt that Chauvin killed Floyd, we don't want him getting off because of reasonable doubt about intent.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:26 am

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hennepinus/residents/public-safety/documents/Autopsy_2020-3700_Floyd.pdf

He had Corona virus.

Also severe heart disease, fentanyl and meth in his system.

Obviously the callousness of that cop and lack of rendering assistance is going to have him end up with some kind of negligent homicide charge.

Not sure why we're meant to care so much about this guy though, there's a lot worse happening to a lot better people around the world and far more worthy causes to get passionate about than police violence in the USA. Why has the world gone nuts over this?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:58 am

Well, for one thing, I think everyone understands that this isn't about just one guy, but rather symptomatic of something that African-Americans have been enduring forever, basically. So a murder as brazen as this caught on video is like a lit match being dropped into a powder keg.

As for why it's big news overseas, that one's even easier to explain. America dominates the world politically and culturally, so anything that happens there reverberates to a much greater extent than anything happening anywhere else. I mean, case in point, we have a 170-page thread here on this Australian bulletin board discussing the American president; in contrast, how many people here could even name, say, the president of Mexico or tell you three things about India's prime minister? As a Wim Wenders film put it all the way back in 1975, "The Yanks have colonised our subconscious."

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:00 pm

Who is Wim Wenders?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:04 pm

K, I trust that you know how to use Google!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:07 pm

David wrote:
Well, for one thing, I think everyone understands that this isn't about just one guy, but rather symptomatic of something that African-Americans have been enduring forever, basically. So a murder as brazen as this caught on video is like a lit match being dropped into a powder keg.

As for why it's big news overseas, that one's even easier to explain. America dominates the world politically and culturally, so anything that happens there reverberates to a much greater extent than anything happening anywhere else. I mean, case in point, we have a 170-page thread here on this Australian bulletin board discussing the American president; in contrast, how many people here could even name, say, the president of Mexico or tell you three things about India's prime minister? As a Wim Wenders film put it all the way back in 1975, "The Yanks have colonised our subconscious."

You're right, but it's all so tiresome. Chinese putting people in concentration camps for their religion, Islamic Theocracies throw gays off buildings and murder their daughters for having boyfriends, North African Arabs selling black slaves in open air markets, Hong Kong fights for democracy and independence but we get wall to wall news coverage and black squares on social media and every corporation virtue signalling about a scumbag dying in a city that most people couldn't place on a map in Midwestern USA.

I think I'm ready to pull up a rocking chair and tell the kids to get off my dang lawn. Well, maybe after laughing at angry libs when Trump wins again Laughing
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:32 pm

David wrote:

Yes, but I don't know if he's worth the effort.

In the time it took you to post that, you could have told me 9 things about this guy.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Two good takes on the issue here.

https://www.facebook.com/thehodgetwins/videos/721496038411706/

https://www.facebook.com/realCandaceOwens/videos/273957870461345/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:11 pm

K wrote:
David wrote:

Yes, but I don't know if he's worth the effort.

In the time it took you to post that, you could have told me 9 things about this guy.

1) If it's not worth the effort to Google (in the time it took for you to post this), why bother asking in the first place?
2) I'm doing my best not to derail the thread, despite appearances Laughing

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:13 pm

I don't know whether it's worth the bother or not, so your point 1) makes no sense. (And Googling does not take the same amount of time as making a post.) I also could not have predicted that you'd refuse to say anything. When people ask me things here that technically one could Google, I don't generally tell them to Google.

About the thread topic... Crying or Very sad Shocked Crying or Very sad Shocked

Here's video of Trudeau's now-famous 21-second silence:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1969669&playlistId=1.4965291&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1

(The question went on for 15 seconds, so he had 36 seconds to think!)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:34 pm

A good piece on what’s gone wrong with American policing by Matt Taibbi:

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/where-did-policing-go-wrong

Quote:
For most of the 20th century the rate of incarceration in America was roughly 110 per 100,000 people. As of last year, the number was 655 per 100,000. Although the numbers have dipped slightly in recent years, down from a high of about 760 per 100,000 in 2013, the quantity of prisoners in America remains absurdly high.

Such aggressive, military-style policing would be not be tolerated by voters if it were taking place everywhere. It’s popular, and continues to be embraced by politicians in both parties, because it’s only happening in “those” neighborhoods (or, as Mike Bloomberg once put it, “where the crime is”). Even during the Covid-19 crisis, 80% of the summonses for social distancing violations are given out to blacks and Hispanics. Does anyone really think that minorities account for that massive a percentage of those violations? Do they think black people really commit 3.73 times as many marijuana offenses as white people?

Basically we have two systems of enforcement in America, a minimalist one for people with political clout, and an intrusive one for everyone else. In the same way our army in Vietnam got in trouble when it started searching for ways to quantify the success of its occupation, choosing sociopathic metrics like “body counts” and “truck kills,” modern big-city policing has been corrupted by its lust for summonses, stops, and arrests. It’s made monsters where none needed to exist.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 4 of 37   

Jump to: