Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Floyd Police killing and protests

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume this link will contain a reasonably accurate report - but it isn't what I read at the time: https://abc13.com/news/man-gets-max-sentence-for-burning-boy-as-a-child/511735/
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:39 pm

OK, that article is from 2015. The first was from 2011 and at that time he'd never been charged.

That's a pretty fkn disturbed 13 year old.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:45 pm

Yes - the link I gave was to the damages reported in the civil case, since that was what was being discussed. I just provided the other information as context from what I knew. As you'd expect, the details of a $150 billion damages claim tend to stick in a lawyer's mind.

Anyway, here's the Houston Chroncile's report. It provides a lot more detail and the procedural history (including that "The jury sentenced Collins to 40 years in prison, the maximum agreed to by prosecutors in order to have him stand trial as an adult") but I do proffer a "distressing details" warning.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/woodlands/news/article/Burned-boy-case-leaves-scars-on-victim-s-family-6081966.php#photo-7503336
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:09 am

Verdict just in - Chauvin guilty of all charges.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 am

On one hand I'm surprised at the guilty verdict for the 2nd degree murder charge, I didn't think they could prove that.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had been found guilty of trespass on Jupiter.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 am

With 6 whites on an American jury, it's a bloody miracle result. They don't have majority verdicts, remember - it only takes one holdout prepared to ignore the facts.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am

Tannin wrote:
With 6 whites on an American jury, it's a bloody miracle result. They don't have majority verdicts, remember - it only takes one holdout prepared to ignore the facts.

Perhaps, but I had a feeling Chauvin was always going to get the book thrown at him. He is, in a way, serving as a scapegoat for a lot of past police violence and failings of the US justice system – not in the sense that he himself isn't guilty of an egregious act of violence, but that there's no way that the murder he committed is being treated as an isolated act. Many will even think that's appropriate and celebrate whatever sentence he gets (which, knowing the normal operations of the US criminal justice system, will almost certainly be manifestly excessive), but the trouble with treating this case as an outlier is that it doesn't necessarily offer a deterrent or any indication that future acts of lethal police violence will be prosecuted fairly (if at all). It just seems like a lottery.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:16 am

Hopefully a step in the right direction. It wasn’t guilty beyond reasonable doubt, it was guilty without any doubt.

However, policing in the US needs to be overhauled and replaced by a uniform system across the states although that’s highly unlikely.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 pm

David wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Perhaps, but I had a feeling Chauvin was always going to get the book thrown at him. He is, in a way, serving as a scapegoat for a lot of past police violence and failings of the US justice system – not in the sense that he himself isn't guilty of an egregious act of violence, but that there's no way that the murder he committed is being treated as an isolated act. Many will even think that's appropriate and celebrate whatever sentence he gets (which, knowing the normal operations of the US criminal justice system, will almost certainly be manifestly excessive), but the trouble with treating this case as an outlier is that it doesn't necessarily offer a deterrent or any indication that future acts of lethal police violence will be prosecuted fairly (if at all). It just seems like a lottery.

I read a good article today, there was no way in hell he was being acquitted which unfortunately will provide valid grounds for appeal.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 pm

The Defence closing arguments went on longer than the 1990 premiership celebrations and with a lot less purpose. I fell asleep after an hour. It was painful. If I was on a jury I would have found guilty just to get out of the place. The jurors have probably all signed book deals. It is why Julian Assange will never get a fair trial in the USA. I think manslaughter was probably more appropriate. Bu there will be an appeal , especially if the judge gives him 40 years
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:17 pm

David, I agree entirely.

ronrat wrote:
I think manslaughter was probably more appropriate.

Under Australian law, sure. But this is US law (or one of the many variants of it they have in different states) where the terms for the same acts are different.

He has been found guilty of Murder 2, which is America-speak for "unintentional death inflicted during the commission of a felony". That is exactly right. It was an illegal assault (force far beyond that necessary to effect an arrest) and the man died as a result of it. Murder 2 all day long. No other way to spin it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:47 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/21/minneapolis-policing-practices-justice-department-investigation

Quote:
The US justice department announced on Wednesday that it is launching a sweeping investigation into policing practices in Minneapolis, less than a day after a white former officer was convicted of murdering George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, there.

The investigation will examine the use of force by police officers, including force used during protests, and whether Minneapolis police engage in discriminatory practices, the US attorney general, Merrick Garland, said in Washington DC on Wednesday morning.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Tannin wrote:
David, I agree entirely.

ronrat wrote:
I think manslaughter was probably more appropriate.

Under Australian law, sure. But this is US law (or one of the many variants of it they have in different states) where the terms for the same acts are different.

He has been found guilty of Murder 2, which is America-speak for "unintentional death inflicted during the commission of a felony". That is exactly right. It was an illegal assault (force far beyond that necessary to effect an arrest) and the man died as a result of it. Murder 2 all day long. No other way to spin it.

Disagree.

Quote:
The second-degree unintentional murder charge alleged Chauvin caused Floyd's death "without intent" while committing or attempting to commit felony third-degree assault. In turn, third-degree assault is defined as the intentional infliction of substantial bodily harm.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/19/us/derek-chauvin-charges-explain/index.html

There's an onus there that he knew he was committing felony 3rd degree assault. There's no way that charge should have got up, that was the hail mary charge.

The other 2 charges, 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter are no brainers really. Guilty. But the only reason he was found guilty of the first charge was external pressure. Politicians should be smarter than commenting on criminal cases before they're finished.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:49 pm

Yer right. He knew that the victim had stopped breathing. He knew that the victim had no pulse - one of the other officers took the victim's pulse and said "I can't find it" to him. And he continued with the physical assault regardless. Death is a "substantial bodily harm" in *every* jurisdiction.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 pm

"intentional infliction" is the key term here, it goes to intent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 32 of 37   

Jump to: