Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Correct on all counts

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:47 pm

https://newsbundleonline.com/australia/no-booze-until-menopause-whos-alcohol-guidance-sparks-female-backlash/

This week the WHO released its Draft Global Alcohol Action Plan 2022-2030 which said: “Appropriate attention should be given to prevention of the initiation of drinking among children and adolescents, prevention of drinking among pregnant women and women of childbearing age, and protection of people from pressures to drink, especially in societies with high levels of alcohol consumption where heavy drinkers are encouraged to drink even more.”

WHO recommending no booze for the girls until after menopause.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Yeah, that'll work.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Yeah, that'll work.

That will be totally ignored in Thailand and the Phillipines. And Cambodia as well.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:58 pm

I don’t think it will taken seriously anywhere.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:47 pm

^

correct again. You're on a roll. Wink Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:59 am

I think most of us would need a few drinks to be able to cope with that recommendation. Laughing

But seriously, this is why we need to be able to put WHO recommendations on COVID-19 responses in context: people at organisations like these have no clue about social consequences because that’s not how they think or how they see their jobs (whether they should is another question). Their job is to put forward recommendations to maximise public health, and yes, banning alcohol for everybody would achieve that, just as extended harsh lockdowns would ensure that COVID-19 has less chance to spread. But a pure physical-health-first approach is a necessarily blinkered one, and other factors need to be considered.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:07 pm

Aside from footy and husbands all the reasons to drink arepretty much done after menopause....thank god for husbands and footy
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:38 pm

In this current woke climate with multiple genders, I'm surprised it's still called "MENopause" Razz
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
In this current woke climate with multiple genders, I'm surprised it's still called "MENopause" Razz

Hehe

2 words I hope disappear woke and non binary! Oh and Karen!

Pa marmo posted a pic of a T-shirt the other day that said there are more than two genders, available in: ...... ladies or men’s sizes! You can’t makethis shit up. But somebody did! And no I don’t gave a phobia David, your male or female, whether trans or not, but you have to pick 1!

As for changin mum and dad to birthing and non birthing parent, just **** right off! How insulting is that to adoptive mothers? Giving birth doesn’t make you a mother, or a mom, and having sex doesn’t make you dad.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:04 pm

David wrote:
I think most of us would need a few drinks to be able to cope with that recommendation. Laughing

But seriously, this is why we need to be able to put WHO recommendations on COVID-19 responses in context: people at organisations like these have no clue about social consequences because that’s not how they think or how they see their jobs (whether they should is another question). Their job is to put forward recommendations to maximise public health, and yes, banning alcohol for everybody would achieve that, just as extended harsh lockdowns would ensure that COVID-19 has less chance to spread. But a pure physical-health-first approach is a necessarily blinkered one, and other factors need to be considered.

You've just accurately explained why epidemiologist advice also needs to be considered but not followed blindly.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:47 pm

Yep because without mental health physical health doesn’t mean mich
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:01 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Hehe

2 words I hope disappear woke and non binary! Oh and Karen!

Pa marmo posted a pic of a T-shirt the other day that said there are more than two genders, available in: ...... ladies or men’s sizes! You can’t makethis shit up. But somebody did! And no I don’t gave a phobia David, your male or female, whether trans or not, but you have to pick 1!

As for changin mum and dad to birthing and non birthing parent, just **** right off! How insulting is that to adoptive mothers? Giving birth doesn’t make you a mother, or a mom, and having sex doesn’t make you dad.

Look, I can’t say I totally understand non-binary gender identities, but I don’t think it’s really for those of us who don’t identify that way to say it’s not legitimate. There’s been a lot of harm done to intersex people in decades past under the rationale of having "to pick one", and that’s reason enough to take a step back from rigid enforcement of gender dichotomies, I reckon.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:30 am

I get where your coming from, however it just won’t work, identity wise, how do you describe a person, not just a criminal, but a missing person? I just think it’s a bridge too far,
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 am

Not quite sure what you mean – as non-binary people often present as being androgynous, it would actually make more sense to denote them as such (or not refer to gender at all) rather than trying to put them in the male or female box: e.g. "Police are asking for anyone who knows of the whereabouts of 25-year-old Jordan Smith [insert picture + height / hair colour / whatever] to urgently contact authorities." There are many such scenarios where specifically denoting gender could be unnecessary or even misleading.

Sometimes the unfamiliar seems difficult, but actually isn’t that unwieldy at all in practice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 29 of 66   

Jump to: