Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Saints. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

All I wanted from this game was to win and score a goal in every quarter, which we did, so good stuff Pies!

This was not even a contest, just crushed their spirit early and cruised to the line. Would have been nice to slot another 10 through in the second half but at least we didn't go goalless.

The big plus for me today was Darcy Moore, he just didn't let anything get past him. He's fast becoming a very reliable KPD. Daics also looked really good and probably played his best game for the club. Tyler Brown as well, looked good too. We really are playing as a team, nobody stands out and nobody is asked to do too much, as it should be. Very accomplished performance.

MONCO: Your life.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:42 am

Good and strong victory, take that any day, saints were in good form, confident, and we pantsed em, take that for sure.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 am

Special mention to Johnny Noble: thought he did very well today.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:59 am

Monco Matt wrote:

The big plus for me today was Darcy Moore, he just didn't let anything get past him. He's fast becoming a very reliable KPD. Daics also looked really good and probably played his best game for the club. Tyler Brown as well, looked good too. We really are playing as a team, nobody stands out and nobody is asked to do too much, as it should be. Very accomplished performance.

Spot on MM. Equal contributions across the board. It's great to see. Darcy played very well and I'm hoping that he has not severely injured his finger. I think it was just a dislocation. You know, just a run-of-the mill finger pulled out its joint!!! Smile Wink
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 am

watt price tully wrote:

He did do well WPT, I agree.

Talking about special mentions - that goal from Billy on the boundary line, after driving himself into the ground to mark, was one of the most superbly crafted kicks I've seen from a Pies player in ages. Did you see the aerial view (so enjoy that camera angle on Fox) and the way it curved through the posts? Just sublime. Smile
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:44 am

watt price tully wrote:

Yes, he did! Doesn't get well treated by the umps though. If it was J.Selwood out there playing that same game, he would've got 5-6 free kicks!

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:46 am

think positive wrote:
90 nice wrote:
I love Chris Mayne

One hell of a smother! Second only to my spirit animal!

Mayne is terrific. Another great game. He always has a crack and forces so many contests.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:39 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

He did do well WPT, I agree.

Talking about special mentions - that goal from Billy on the boundary line, after driving himself into the ground to mark, was one of the most superbly crafted kicks I've seen from a Pies player in ages. Did you see the aerial view (so enjoy that camera angle on Fox) and the way it curved through the posts? Just sublime. Smile

Yeah, saw that great goal PP. Loved it.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:52 am

Best all round game for a while. Had people over so didn’t focus much in the second half which was still good defensively.
I think Cox is important and Cameron is a downgrade. He won’t deliver every week but he gives us a much better bail out option and will kick a few.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:04 pm

Jezza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Did we lose??????
Where is everyone???

I'm here Smile

Very impressed with the pressure we imposed on the ball carrier. It was very reminiscent of the way we played in 2018. I hope this is the norm going forward. Last year, I felt like we regressed in this area as we opted to play more like the Eagles with their chip kicking game style which won them the flag in 2018.

The defensive unit is outstanding. Since round 20 last year, these are a 'points against' numbers:

Round 20 2019 vs Gold Coast = 51
Round 21 2019 vs Melbourne = 53
Round 22 2019 vs Adelaide = 48
Round 23 2019 vs Essendon = 65
Qualifying Final 2019 vs Geelong = 51
Preliminary Final 2019 vs GWS = 56
Round 1 2020 vs Western Bulldogs = 34
Round 2 2020 vs Richmond = 36
Round 3 2020 vs St Kilda = 37

Taking into account that quarters have been shortened this year, the rounds 1-3 numbers would be around 42-46 points conceded in normal 20 minute quarters.

The inclusion of Stephenson benefited the team greatly. He looked great in the first quarters and questions will manifest in why he didn't play against the Tigers last week. He could have been the difference in the result.

Grundy was excellent after some doubts over his fitness during the week. We won the clearances (32-21) and he nullified the influence both Marshall and Ryder had on the game.

Looking forward to when Cox and Treloar return to the team. I think Cameron and Wills are the weak links in the team.

Jezza the one common dominator is NO LANGDON
Don’t under estimate how now having him on the field helps our cause
The other defenders only have to worry about there own man not cover Langdon’s man as well then he wanders off looking for daffodils or butterflies
We are a 3.48 goals per game better off straight away (that’s the average goals kicked by Langdon’s man per game) add to that the 3.8 goals per game his direct opponent gives upto team mate due Langdon’s losing 64% of his 1on1 contests
Right now Langdon’s is showing his true value to the team by not playing
As a AFL footballer goes he makes a sensational speed hump in car park or traffic cone
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:40 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
think positive wrote:
OMG my perfect day is getting better! **** you gggggglong

With you all the way TP!!! I've never barracked for Carlton before, but I did in that game tonight. ...

Geebung cost me money! Shocked Sad
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 pm

I looked at the video of Jamie Elliott's mark and banana goal and had a thought that maybe the players can see the goal posts better without the crowd and the movement the goes on.

It's a theory, so checking the first three rounds of 2019 we had kicked 37 goals 29 behinds = 66 scoring shots with a 56% accuracy.

Three rounds in 2020 30 goals 29 behinds = 53 scoring shots at 56.6% accuracy.

It was a great goal by Jamie, not such a great theory!!!

Note: after three rounds in 2019 we were one win from three, maybe the 0.6% has helped Cool

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:32 pm

That was a great win. We crushed the spirit out of them in the first half, then conserved our energy by entering cruise control in the second. It was in fact magnificent. Our tackling pressure was through the roof. In the first half, our agression with our movement of the ball overwhelmed the Saints, and was reminiscent of how we played in 2018, as has also been mentioned. Our marking and disposal were top quality - most notably Tay Adams distinguished himself with superb disposal. St Kilda, a team in form, were made to look second rate by our skill and our pressure. As others have pointed to, our defence is amazing, the best in the AFL. Credit to the players, to the coaching staff, to Bucks. It is a defence clearly based not just on the elite skill and physical athleticism of the defenders, but also on the strength of the team solidarity and willingness to play for each other that now so obviously animates our performances. Stephenson looked fantastic. I think we selected him at just the right moment for him to come out on the field and unleash his brilliance.
Like others, I also thought that Noble played an excellent game. His willingness to go in hard, and his rebound off half back, were fantastic.
Congratulations to Bruzzy on his 100 games. What an amazing defender he has become. As hard as steel and elite skills.
For me, Taylor Adams was our best. His performance was just courage, courage, courage and the will to win.
I must mention Mayne as well. He is just always there, in defence, or in our F50, forming an indispensable link in a key handball chain, or performing a decisive defensive action such as a tackle or smother.
Great game from the entire team.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:16 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

The other defenders only have to worry about there own man not cover Langdon’s man as well then he wanders off looking for daffodils or butterflies
We are a 3.48 goals per game better off straight away (that’s the average goals kicked by Langdon’s man per game) add to that the 3.8 goals per game his direct opponent gives upto team mate due Langdon’s losing 64% of his 1on1 contests
As a AFL footballer goes he makes a sensational speed hump in car park or traffic cone

Incredibly harsh and not true. Multiple other common factors could be concocted, such as:
absence of Linden Dunn
absence of Levi Greenwood
presence of John Noble

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Jezza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Did we lose??????
Where is everyone???

I'm here Smile

Very impressed with the pressure we imposed on the ball carrier. It was very reminiscent of the way we played in 2018. I hope this is the norm going forward. Last year, I felt like we regressed in this area as we opted to play more like the Eagles with their chip kicking game style which won them the flag in 2018.

The defensive unit is outstanding. Since round 20 last year, these are a 'points against' numbers:

Round 20 2019 vs Gold Coast = 51
Round 21 2019 vs Melbourne = 53
Round 22 2019 vs Adelaide = 48
Round 23 2019 vs Essendon = 65
Qualifying Final 2019 vs Geelong = 51
Preliminary Final 2019 vs GWS = 56
Round 1 2020 vs Western Bulldogs = 34
Round 2 2020 vs Richmond = 36
Round 3 2020 vs St Kilda = 37

Taking into account that quarters have been shortened this year, the rounds 1-3 numbers would be around 42-46 points conceded in normal 20 minute quarters.

The inclusion of Stephenson benefited the team greatly. He looked great in the first quarters and questions will manifest in why he didn't play against the Tigers last week. He could have been the difference in the result.

Grundy was excellent after some doubts over his fitness during the week. We won the clearances (32-21) and he nullified the influence both Marshall and Ryder had on the game.

Looking forward to when Cox and Treloar return to the team. I think Cameron and Wills are the weak links in the team.

Ouch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: