Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pipped in thriller. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Jezza wrote:
It doesn't appear we've been able to address the inability to take advantage of Grundy's ruck dominance over the off season, which is a problem that existed last year as well. We won the hitouts 55-21, but lost the clearances 36-31.

I wonder what the centre clearance count was. Probably worse.

We won the centre clearances 12 to 9. We lost the stoppage clearances 27 to 19.
PiesFan 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm

Particularly in the last few contests against the Giants - we struggle to move the ball or score when we don’t have the right mix of structure vs calculated risks. We have forced ourselves to be more aggressive in ball movement when behind on the scoreboard and in danger of being blown away. Let’s test the GWS players defensive mindset and put them on the back foot, instead of having this constant arm wrestle and ugly style of play - it hasn’t worked for us.

This has also been a common occurrence in our other wins (and draw) where we have been patchy and inconsistent.

I want to see more of the end of the 3rd and 4th qtr intent - minus the skill errors and bad set shot kicking. We should be backing our defense to allow us to be less risk averse in offense.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm

The Saints kick 15.3 what a difference it makes kicking straight.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Our win over the Saints now can be looked at in a new light...
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:23 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
The Saints kick 15.3 what a difference it makes kicking straight.

Yep. The opposite, bad kicking, is bad football. We also need to kick straight and play good football. Idea

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:12 pm

Player ratings:

1. Stephenson: cliché fast start slow Q2-4
2. DeGoey: don't dare ask for a pay increase on your current deal when you haven't improved. Coasted.
4. Grundy: forget the media Mumford praise, was one of our best again
5. Elliott: forgettable. Adelaide game aside last year, he is not the player he was.
6. T Brown: vanilla game
9. Noble; flaws exposed again
10. Pendlebury: our best especially in Q4
13. Adams: courageous again
16. Mayne: missed THAT goal. Unforgivable
17. C Brown: as I've said for 3 years, he cannot kick more than 35 metres and this was evident AGAIN when it counted.
21. Phillips: 2 goals aside, his inability to provide defensive grunt especially in one in ones in big matches. No wonder they wanted to offload him to the Cats. Trade bait again in October
22. Steele: another big game, another big tag and another big failure
23. Roughead: excellent
25. Crisp: solid
26. Daicos: again one of our better performers
30. Moore: excellent but costly mistake late
32. WHE: flighty, floaty and flagging
33. Rupert: cliché fast start and slow end. Fitness an issue
37. Maynard: Jekyll and Hyde performance
38. Howe: our best player last night and tragedy ending
41. Mihocek: kept at it and was rewarded. Costly miss late
46. Mason: CLICHE CLICHE CLICHE. 1 goal and 10 dropped marks and no affect when ball hit the ground. Should have been traded

Our weaknesses were exposed again.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:20 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Cam wrote:
Succession plan was announced in 2009...

PCLs

https://www.afl.com.au/news/132894/footys-most-common-injury-how-it-happens-and-the-best-way-to-fix-it

"What is the recovery period?

A player typically misses between four to 12 weeks, depending on the individual's knee-related history, the grade of the PCL injury and whether there are other injuries to the knee.

That prognosis also assumes they don't require surgery, and the rehabilitation goes to plan.

"If it was meant to be four weeks, and it blows out to six – that's not the end of the world, so long as the player's making progress overall," Lobo said.

"But if it's meant to be four to six weeks, and at four weeks, they've still got swelling in their knee and they can't progress as per their rehab plan, then you're probably considering surgery."

The recovery time from PCL surgery varies from about six to nine months."

Howe will require surgery. Wont play again in 2020 and will have a delay start for 2021.

You don’t strike me as an Orthopaedic surgeon. Eternal pessimist, yes. Orthopaedic surgeon, not so much.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:35 pm

With respect, What'sinaname is only stating what the news media are reporting dude. I haven't heard or read that he will be right to play, say in 6 weeks Rolling Eyes

Sadly I think the media are being totally realistic with their expectations. Sad

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:14 pm

^^^
It’s been reported tonight that he is expected to be back late Sept / early Oct - this year, not next year..
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:05 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Player ratings:

1. agree
2. agree weight loss to play midfield hasn't helped him when playing forward
4. agree
5. Elliott: Needs space to move, our best shot for goal is getting it outside 50 most of the time. I think Stevo is better in that role, with Elliott playing the closer to goal pocket. But what would I know.
6. agree
9. Noble: flaws yes, strengths on show too though
10. agree
13. agree
16. agree
17. semi agree
21. Phillips: possibly being played as a forward? Can someone confirm?
22. Steele: again, not as bad as people make out. sure didn't get 40 but was vey useful at times in the second half
23. agree
25. agree
26. Daicos: improving by the week this year. will have quiet times.
30. agree
32. agree
33. Rupert: looked like a seconds footballer playing firsts
37. Maynard: agree, needs to spend time on body position and how Greene worked him over when it counted
38. agree Crying or Very sad
41. agree
46. Mason: slippery nights produce this every time, not sure he can take a chest mark, seems like he's been overtaught to use the jukes every time. also playing a cow paddock didn't help. Kicked a clutch goal though, not many pies over the years can claim that. We are used to misses when the heat is on... AMIRITE?

Our weaknesses were exposed again.

But our strengths got us back in the game. We have a team having a crack every week, and will need to shuffle things around this week to offset Howe. Our biggest issue seems to be the underperformance of JDG and the absence of Treloar hasn't helped. JDG has to understand people just don't let you walk all over them, you have to do the crushing first. He's trying, but it's not working. Has taken a step back each year since 2018. But ffs, maybe we need Yes, Sier in the middle coz we just are mainly wasting Grundy.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Cam wrote:
Our win over the Saints now can be looked at in a new light...

It doesn't work like that. You could also say our draw with the pathetic Tiggers can now be looked at in a new light. As I said before, GWS and Richmond have been repeatedly slaughtered in recent games (except against us).
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Changes for next week:

In : Treloar, Schaz, Sier
Out: Howe, Wills, T. Brown
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:35 pm

What I am so disappointed with in the GWS game (apart from what happened to Jeremy Howe, which is the main disappointment) was how GWS seemed to be able once again to force us to revert to an ugly game style where our ball movement is somehow suppressed by them. I think it goes back, still, to the lack of connection between Grundy and the mids. I find it amazing that we allowed GWS to virtually reproduce the Prelim plan in this game. I think we came closer to winning this time than last time, but that is beside the point. How is it that we allowed it to happen again?? I want to know why we haven't tried something radically different with Grundy and the mids over the preseason.
Why doesn't Grundy try thumping it into space more often?
I agree we should select Treloar if he satisfies all the fitness criteria, we desperately need his run and dynamism in our midfield. Sier should get a run for Wills. Schazza to replace Howe. Not sure who makes way for Treloar. A Brown I guess.

Last edited by Magpietothemax on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:43 pm

PiesFan wrote:
Particularly in the last few contests against the Giants - we struggle to move the ball or score when we don’t have the right mix of structure vs calculated risks. We have forced ourselves to be more aggressive in ball movement when behind on the scoreboard and in danger of being blown away. Let’s test the GWS players defensive mindset and put them on the back foot, instead of having this constant arm wrestle and ugly style of play - it hasn’t worked for us.

This has also been a common occurrence in our other wins (and draw) where we have been patchy and inconsistent.

I want to see more of the end of the 3rd and 4th qtr intent - minus the skill errors and bad set shot kicking. We should be backing our defense to allow us to be less risk averse in offense.

Yes, I agree with this comment. This balance of structure vs calculated risk that you refer to was exactly the same in the Prelim, and I think also in our second half against Richmond. Add to that our inability to capitalise from Grundy's dominance (still) and you see why we are not performing at our best.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:56 pm

I expect Collingwood to win their next 3 matches we will trounce Essendon Brisbane and Geelong
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14   

Jump to: