Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trump threatens to ban TikTok in the US

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Before this discussion gets too far off track (and for what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s either fair or accurate to describe PTID as a cheerleader for China, and I think the posters doing so are allowing their own hostility to the country to distort their judgement),

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It's utterly wrong, incorrect, bullshit, but hey it's your opinion. Just don't confuse your opinion with being generally applicable or correct.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:32 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Before this discussion gets too far off track (and for what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s either fair or accurate to describe PTID as a cheerleader for China, and I think the posters doing so are allowing their own hostility to the country to distort their judgement),

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It's utterly wrong, incorrect, bullshit, but hey it's your opinion. Just don't confuse your opinion with being generally applicable or correct.

But even if he were wrong, and he isn't, that's quite different to the outright weasel-level lying you're engaging in here. Put up or shut up: where have I 'cheered' for the authoritarian Chinese state?

I have said I am opposed to the hysteria, escalation and low-ground hypocrisy that hands it a PR dream. I have said I oppose lose-lose devaluation such as trade wars. I have said I fully agree with sensible counter-measures and counter-pressures, from increased defence spending to regional/global alliances to publishing and penalising breaches fairly and transparently. Get over your indignation and listen. You're like a child who can be goaded into taking any ridiculous position when your manhood is questioned.

Why would I want to sit idly by while (a) the usual idiots who have a track record of wrecking everything put us through another financial crisis and/or recklessly escalate a lose-lose conflict; and (b) the rights of 1.4B people going about their business, who are fundamentally no different to you or I, are sandwiched between two sets of deranged authoritarians and pushed into an escalating nationalism that wrecks all of our lives?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I don't understand.
b) why you think you will change anyone's mind with your approach.

If you had only said this, fine. We can talk about this because as I've said, I hate having to be the antagonist on these things, and I don't like this approach for a second. You could even criticise me on the grounds that I'm participating in the escalation and counteracting my own views, which I'm sure is exactly what David's thinking!

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:43 am

Seems like a case of economic imperialism to me. The Yanks don't like a social media platform from another country rivalling the American based ones, so they need to drum up some BS to try and damage said rival.

Or alternatively, through their dealings with the American tech giants, they know the potential social media platforms have to engage in nefarious activities and don't like the idea of anyone but themselves taking advantage of said activities.

Last edited by Sicks Bux on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 am

pietillidie wrote:

I have said I am opposed to the hysteria, escalation and low-ground hypocrisy that hands it a PR dream. I have said I oppose lose-lose devaluation such as trade wars. I have said I fully agree with sensible counter-measures and counter-pressures, from increased defence spending to regional/global alliances to publishing and penalising breaches fairly and transparently. Get over your indignation and listen. You're like a child who can be goaded into taking any ridiculous position when your manhood is questioned.

Yep, that kind of rubbish is really going to convince me to change my mind. Rolling Eyes The only hysteria is coming from you who can't seem to separate your Trump derangement with criticism of China.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Mr. Green

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:40 am

^

I'll pay that. Laughing Laughing

Even if it's wrong. Razz Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:45 am

Interesting post on the topic from Yasha Levine:

https://yasha.substack.com/p/tiktok-imperialism-and-the-end-of-507

Quote:
But there’s something bigger going on, too. It shows once again that no one really believes in Silicon Valley global utopianism anymore.

Read reporting on the issue and you’ll find that a kind of paranoid realpolitik prevails these days. No one talks about the Internet being a post-political platform. Now it’s all about how technology can be weaponized by a rival power againstAmerican interests. If an Internet company is Chinese, it naturally must be an extension of Chinese national power. If a company is Russian, the Russian government must be benefitting from its use somehow. And if a company is American — like Google or Facebook — it of course must pledge allegiance to American imperial interests. And Google and Facebook publicly agree.

The logic makes a lot of sense — and represents the hard reality that has always underpinned information technology. But what’s surprising is that is also represents a total reversal in American political culture.

Much of the rest of the article is under a paywall, but I think there are already some interesting observations there.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:58 am

So Microsoft is likely to buy out TikTok.

I love the irony here. The proposal is, on "security" grounds, to have a known private data thief buy out a company only suspected of being a data thief.

Only in the topsy-turvey counter-factual paradise called America could this be considered in any way an improvement.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:17 pm

And it doesn't matter who owns it, if the app has been coded to send data to a Chinese server, that will still happen
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:11 pm

No it won't, Stui. Not for any longer than it takes to change the relevant code. * That is likely to be a time measured in weeks or, at absolute worst for a clumsy, slow behemoth like Microsoft, months. We are not talking rocket science here. It is only a phone app after all, so it's not as if it's a great big pile of code to work through.

*Even assuming that it is actually doing anything, which is something we have no evidence to show.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:27 pm

I dont fkn get TikTok
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:54 pm

If you were Presti15 you might. Wink
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:02 pm

Presti35 wrote:
I dont fkn get TikTok

did you ever get Musical.ly?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out what exact beef Trump has with this guy:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: