Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Blemishes, value and ownership

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:43 pm
Post subject: Blemishes, value and ownershipReply with quote

<split from "How are you dealing with the Covid 19 lockdown?" thread>

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I do like TP's approach

One smack across the head and writing on the walls will never happen again.

And dont get me started with blutac on the walls. Damn disgusting oily filth..

I mean, you could also take my approach and not care about anything. Wink

Yes I had tenants with that attitude! Ended up doing me a huge favour once I got over the heartbreak, $27000 from insurance fixed it up with a brand new kitchen and a record price! I trust to7 don’t expect to get your bond back!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I do like TP's approach

One smack across the head and writing on the walls will never happen again.

And dont get me started with blutac on the walls. Damn disgusting oily filth..

I mean, you could also take my approach and not care about anything. Wink

Yes I had tenants with that attitude! Ended up doing me a huge favour once I got over the heartbreak, $27000 from insurance fixed it up with a brand new kitchen and a record price! I trust to7 don’t expect to get your bond back!

I don't expect anyone to live in our place after we leave! Landlord is pretty keen to demolish it and build some units. Whether we still need to go through the pretence of trying to make everything perfect when we leave – steam-cleaning the carpets and repainting the walls the day before the bulldozers arrive – is another question, but my rough understanding of tenancy laws is that any attempt to withhold bond in that situation would be looked at dimly by VCAT. Anyway, no need for it to be a point of contention; hopefully it's something we can discuss with them beforehand when the time comes.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:14 am

One day you might have a place you care about, why not teach your son now to respect things, no matter who they belong to?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:28 am

Who says I don't? Shocked I didn't mean to say I encourage him to draw on the walls (and, in fact, I don't think he ever has, and am pretty sure he knows well not to) – it's more that I personally can't see the problem with a bit of texta on a blank wall and don't really understand why anyone cares about it. Of course when it's someone else's property you have to respect their preferences, but as far as our current landlord is concerned this property is just a rectangle on a map with a $ sign, so it's kind of academic.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:45 am

As a landlord I just think your attitude stinks. Say you move out and he can’t afford to demolish it and has to get a new tenant? A little texts on a blank wall? Yeah nah, no thanks. I have lots of bare walls in my house, and I like them texta free, and when I rented I treated the place as if I owned it, it was left in better shape than I got it in. I rented 3 times.

General water and tear is fair enough, I don’t consider kids wall art general wear and tear. I should add I’ve been disappointed more than once! And kept the bond! Only once I had to go to insurance, but they deliberately destroyed the place.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:38 am

David wrote:
Who says I don't? Shocked I didn't mean to say I encourage him to draw on the walls (and, in fact, I don't think he ever has, and am pretty sure he knows well not to) – it's more that I personally can't see the problem with a bit of texta on a blank wall and don't really understand why anyone cares about it. Of course when it's someone else's property you have to respect their preferences, but as far as our current landlord is concerned this property is just a rectangle on a map with a $ sign, so it's kind of academic.

You sound like the kind of guy who wouldn't care if you or your kid opened a car door and dented another person's car.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:37 am

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:

You sound like the kind of guy who wouldn't care if you or your kid opened a car door and dented another person's car.

Correction: I wouldn't care if someone opened their car door into mine (again, it's cosmetic, who cares). But I'm aware that other people are total princesses about their cars, and am conscientious enough to actually be very careful about that stuff.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:48 am

well i guess im a total princess,
thing is, do you have a nice looking car? it doesnt have to be new, mine wasnt, and ive had it for 8 years now, and it has 2 small scratches, and one dint from some arsehole. it takes value from the car.

you might want to live in a dirty dinted grungy world but i certainly dont. And i might add, i show other peoples property the same respect and consideration i expect, but dont always get, to mine!

people with your attitude are the reason i would never offer my holiday house up for air B&B, and the reason i will never buy another residential rental property. so when you whinge about lack of supply and high prices, look in the mirror!

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:00 pm

Must admit, it is also the reason I won't invest in residential property.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:42 pm

think positive wrote:
thing is, do you have a nice looking car? it doesnt have to be new, mine wasnt, and ive had it for 8 years now, and it has 2 small scratches, and one dint from some arsehole. it takes value from the car.

you might want to live in a dirty dinted grungy world but i certainly dont. And i might add, i show other peoples property the same respect and consideration i expect, but dont always get, to mine!

people with your attitude are the reason i would never offer my holiday house up for air B&B, and the reason i will never buy another residential rental property. so when you whinge about lack of supply and high prices, look in the mirror!

Lol I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I actually think the more people are dissuaded from investing in rental properties and deciding against starting up airbnbs the better. We need fewer landlords, not more (and surely you must know that airbnbs are a disaster for the rental market)! And I loathe the new paradigm of seeing a car and house as products with value as opposed to, like, a thing you drive and place you live in respectively, ideally until the first breaks down and, in the second case, the day you die. But perhaps that's a topic for another thread.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:24 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Lol I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I actually think the more people are dissuaded from investing in rental properties and deciding against starting up airbnbs the better. We need fewer landlords, not more (and surely you must know that airbnbs are a disaster for the rental market)! And I loathe the new paradigm of seeing a car and house as products with value as opposed to, like, a thing you drive and place you live in respectively, ideally until the first breaks down and, in the second case, the day you die. But perhaps that's a topic for another thread.

ok split the thread then! my posts are always getting split off lately!because im really interested in your view here. last week you commented on McMansions, i was involved in thats convo, dont know if it was directed at me, but it seemed to be. i wasnt in the mood to bite. So how should this work? in your world? I mentioned dints and scratches reducing the value, my last car before this was a gorgeous bright blue cop magnet falcon with the rear wing and mag wheels, and people seemed to delight in smacking my doors. when i sold it it really decreased the value. My little VW was the biggest bargain we have ever got, we paid half the market value for it, but ive had it too long and its probably worth half what we paid. but i dont care. I genuinely love my car, i love driving it, i love cruising with the top down and i love the fact its almost immaculate. of course it has a couple of stone chips on the bonnet, like everyones car, and one of the mags has met the gutter a few too many times, but aside from that i keep it clean, i look after it because it gives me joy, its not just to get from A-B, hell i left it home today and drove one of the kids cars because it was raining and i had to do a pretty big shop. the cars value to me is not as an expensive look at me toy, if i wanted that i would have let hubby trade it on the BMW he wanted to buy me! I keep my car as scratch free as possible, because i like the way it looks, i like the way it drives, and it gives me pleasure. And a place to live? what does that mean to you? I got told off here for bragging about my house when i built it, but the funny thing is youd die if you knew what it cost us to build, its not about money for me, its about living the way i want to live. I dont give 2 shits about the market value of my house, unless im thinking about how much my kids will inherit. I have friends with much flashier houses, but im not a flashy person, we built this to suit our lifestyle, yes its big because i would rather have 20 kids here, than not know where my kids are, and thats as true today, now that they are adults as it was 13 years ago when the ferals sometimes drove me nuts!

if there are no rentals, where do people live who cannot afford to buy a home? oh yes thats right, we should just divide it up equally, no matter that some people choose, yes choose, to sit on their arse, and then there are the people who genuinely cant work, or need assistance for some other reason, someone has to earn the money to pay the tax to help them out. Just think, if all the people who live in council houses, but are now in a position not to, moved into the private sector, there would not be such a shortage for those that really need it. and yes its a thing. But you want to take that money from others who have worked their arses off, long hours, too many days, or maybe they went to school and got a lawyer or doctor degree, and then worked off their hecs debt, and saved their hard earned all while paying for people who A need the help, or B bludge.

are we all expected to live like Stepford wives in matching houses, no one should be able to have more than anyone else, no matter how hard they work? funny, your the one looking down on people who work hard and/or get rentals to legitimately increase their earning potential. Im not materialistic, im practical to a fault. Hell we live in the western suburbs, and we all know what people say about the western suburbs! Do we have a nice lifestyle and a few nice toys? yes we do, but we are shrewd when we buy anything. Ive been bagged here for flying coach! i couldnt give a crap! the upgrade buys me a new lens! we have never asked for a hand out, and we pay plenty of tax.

I just happen to be a neat freak, i like my very old car scratch free, and i like my walls the colour i picked. ill choose the art work thanks! as for cars and houses being seen as products with value, its been that way since the biggest baddest caveman had the biggest cave and Rachel Welsh for a wife!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:03 pm

I can’t recall how McMansions came up, but I’m sure it wasn’t a dig at you – I’m no architecture snob, and I have to admit I find the idea of McMansions kind of charming! I mean, if I had the money to build whatever I like I’d probably end up constructing the next Kryal Castle, so don’t talk to me about kitsch. Laughing

I do like the communist idea of housing being guaranteed and automatically allocated – it’s probably actually one of the best things about communism, besides free tertiary education – and I don’t particularly feel that the right to have a bigger house than the neighbours is an essential one. But that doesn’t mean everyone should have to live in concrete blocks, or Edward Scissorhands–style pastel suburbia! The more variety the better, I say.

Anyway, I think your views make sense in a lot of ways, but I think this does reveal some of our personality differences! I’m not a neat freak at all, and I know I have unusual tastes (one of the things I love about this house is that it was so old and run-down, with random holes, doors that don’t close properly, cobwebs, a decaying wooden shack in the backyard and the like – whereas I felt pretty miserable in the last place we lived in, which was new and, I thought, lacking in character; and one apartment before that, the owner literally had painted and written random stuff all over the walls in some apparent drunken frenzy, which I thought was beautiful). Plus, I adore op shops but would be bored stiff in a new clothing, homewares or toy store – I’m sure you get the picture!

For me it’s not about living in filth or not having any standards; I do care about the places I live in and things I own and look after them in my own way. But I think my preference has always been functionality over appearance, and part of me is also drawn to the decrepit and the imperfect. So what the hell I’m doing here in Hampton is anyone’s guess...

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:00 pm

David wrote:

I do like the communist idea of housing being guaranteed and automatically allocated – it’s probably actually one of the best things about communism, besides free tertiary education – and I don’t particularly feel that the right to have a bigger house than the neighbours is an essential one. But that doesn’t mean everyone should have to live in concrete blocks,

you mean the workers paradise like this.

The problem is anything governments provide is basically sh!t, especially communist governments. The standard rule for governments is the more you let them do the more they complicate things and the crappier they get.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Ha, imagine having to live like that, hey David, considering your rants about the towers a few weeks back, you wouldn’t last 5 min. And I bet they don’t have lifts!

The right to have a bigger house? That’s not what it’s about, the right to work for, aim for and achieve the goal of your choosing, wether it’s a big house, lots of long holidays, a masarati or simply a good payout for your kids when you depart the earth.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Pi wrote:
The problem is anything governments provide is basically sh!t

^ Unsubstantiated rubbish, and demonstrably untrue. For every example you can cite of a bad government-provided service, there is an example of a bad private-enterprise service (very often worse), and there is an example of an excellent government-provided service.

In fact, the quality of services varies enormously for many different reasons and it is hopelessly simple-minded to pretend that there is an all-the-world ideological cause.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: