Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
You forgot the next year, when Moore played forward and broke down numerous time and played just 7 games. That's 54 games out of a possible 91 games.

His body failed him as a forward.

The e-dopers should then consider Daniher in the backline to minimise injury...

CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:49 pm

JDG could be the best back-pocket in the comp mate
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:23 pm

IN the cold light of a new day, my final observations on last night. Face facts, Brisvegas are a top four team, if not top two, and will most likely play off for the flag, on their own ground, the Gabba They are for all iintents and purposes, a very good side no argument from me on that score, Yet despite the fact they had a huge 13 day rest break, compared to our miserly 4 full days we pushed them right to the end. I actually thought theyd win pre game by bout 25+ points, so to get within 8, i reckon wasnt bad at all, really I see some keyboard warriors here totally discount that they say it does not matter which only shows one how pig ignorant they truly are, if your tired and jaded your mental processes slump, your motor skills slump, you are n ot that switched on, and it showed last night, that was the big difference between us and the Lions, despite what our genius negative drones say here.. Ok, our forward line was pretty poor on the night but what bout theirs, for all their attacks, they only managed one lousy goal more than us, just one, what does THAT say bout their much vaunted forward set up, pray tell ? We had 5 Guns out, had Sidebottom allone, played, i believe we would have won the game. Take five guns out of any team and see how they go, how the hell do the negative nellies here think the Cats, Port, Weagles would fare with five of their top players out ?? Take sellwood, ablett, hawkins, taylor dangerfield out of the cats, how do you geniuses reckon they would go, hey ?? We had a very hard game against the Blues, then 4 lousy days to come up, the fixture has screwed us too.

I note that when we win, the nellies whinge and when we lose, they wninge even more, and its always all about Bucks, no matter win or lose. ! Anyway, now for a rest, and beat the GFC Beachboys, thats our mission now. Oh and dont bother flaying me Negative souls, ive said my bit and wont be coming back on this topic, so rant away, i wont be seeing your pathetic childish rants and innuendoes. Im done.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:08 pm

BEAMER09 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
You forgot the next year, when Moore played forward and broke down numerous time and played just 7 games. That's 54 games out of a possible 91 games.

His body failed him as a forward.

The e-dopers should then consider Daniher in the backline to minimise injury...

Daniher doesn't seem to have lost confidence in his body. Moore did as a forward. He had phantom hamstring strains and took himself off the ground numerous times.

Playing back got his confidence back, and now we are tempting fate throwing him back in the forward line.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:08 pm

CakeWalkin wrote:

He should line up there the next time he plays because the opposition won't be expecting it. You know, the element of surprise & all that.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm

CakeWalkin wrote:

Really

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:26 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
IN the cold light of a new day, my final observations on last night. Face facts, Brisvegas are a top four team, if not top two, and will most likely play off for the flag, on their own ground, the Gabba They are for all iintents and purposes, a very good side no argument from me on that score, Yet despite the fact they had a huge 13 day rest break, compared to our miserly 4 full days we pushed them right to the end. I actually thought theyd win pre game by bout 25+ points, so to get within 8, i reckon wasnt bad at all, really I see some keyboard warriors here totally discount that they say it does not matter which only shows one how pig ignorant they truly are, if your tired and jaded your mental processes slump, your motor skills slump, you are n ot that switched on, and it showed last night, that was the big difference between us and the Lions, despite what our genius negative drones say here.. Ok, our forward line was pretty poor on the night but what bout theirs, for all their attacks, they only managed one lousy goal more than us, just one, what does THAT say bout their much vaunted forward set up, pray tell ? We had 5 Guns out, had Sidebottom allone, played, i believe we would have won the game. Take five guns out of any team and see how they go, how the hell do the negative nellies here think the Cats, Port, Weagles would fare with five of their top players out ?? Take sellwood, ablett, hawkins, taylor dangerfield out of the cats, how do you geniuses reckon they would go, hey ?? We had a very hard game against the Blues, then 4 lousy days to come up, the fixture has screwed us too.

I note that when we win, the nellies whinge and when we lose, they wninge even more, and its always all about Bucks, no matter win or lose. ! Anyway, now for a rest, and beat the GFC Beachboys, thats our mission now. Oh and dont bother flaying me Negative souls, ive said my bit and wont be coming back on this topic, so rant away, i wont be seeing your pathetic childish rants and innuendoes. Im done.

i came in tonight to say pretty much the same, in the cold melbourne light of day in my limited 5klm space, with not a single kabab shop in it, i think it was a pretty good go to only lose by 8.

and the AFL and the umpires can still get £$%$ed

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:46 pm

Well,I had a look at the replay of the second quarter today and that confirmed what I thought:that we lost the game in that quarter through our own mistakes

In that quarter the Lions kicked five of their six goals for the whole match.As it turned out,four of those goals came from basic skill errors from our own players,Tyler Brown kicks it straight to a Lions player right in front of goal,Roughead handballs blindly to a couple of Lions players which results in another goal,Phillips handballs wildly to a couple of Lions players in the middle,which results in another goal,and Crisp handballs straight to another Lions player,which gives them another goal.

Basically,they only kicked two goals on their own merits.It was definitely a case of us giving them the win,rather than them really earning it.

Last edited by doriswilgus on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 am

^ These are my thoughts too Doris. That kick from Tyler Brown was all wrong. For starters, because he screwed it around his body in an effort to go straight into the middle of the ground, instead of up to the wing. Then it lacked distance and fell straight into the arms of a Brisbane player standing on his own!
Then one of my absolute favourites in Checkers completely misses an easy mark 2m out from goal.
There's the game right there - two deplorable mistakes most likely due to mental and physical fatigue.
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:19 am

In a game that had ramifications and implications to play finals, Collingwood squandered a huge opportunity to qualify for the 2020 Finals Series to fall narrowly short against the Brisbane Lions by 8 points. The Magpies had periods of control throughout the night, but failed to maximise any dominance that it gained when they had possession. The Lions had two rotations to play with in the last quarter, yet the Woods could not exploit that factor to their advantage, and paid the price for it in the process. Cohesion from Collingwood's forwards was severely lacking, while the Lions found enough time and space for their forwards to take marks or score simple goals. That was the game in a nutshell.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from disposals by +43 (329 - 286), handballs were won by +53 (160 - 107), while contested possessions had a margin of +22 (135 - 113), and uncontested possessions were +21 (199 - 178). Hit-outs had a differential of +10 (31 - 21), Contested Marks were +6 (11 - 5), Tackles Inside 50 were won by +9 (14 - 5), and Inside 50s had a differential of +8 (41 - 33). Brisbane got their ascendancies from kicks by +10 (179 - 169), marks were +7 (82 - 75), with uncontested marks won by +13 (77 - 64), +3 for Marks Inside 50 (8 - 5), and intercept possessions had a differential of +1 (64 - 63). Clearances (29 each), centre clearances (7 apiece), stoppage clearances (22 all), and tackles (all square at 57) were all evenly split.

Scott Pendlebury (29 disposals @ 66%, 548 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 12 handballs, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 8 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was the only midfielder that threatened to win the game for the Woods. There was not much more he could've done to turn the game when the points were on the line and for the taking. Heavy reliance on Pendlebury took its toll on the team, and it was evident.

Josh Daicos (25 disposals @ 68%, 471 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks, 4 score involvements, 6 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) played solidly, without dominating the game as he would've liked.

Taylor Adams (23 disposals @ 65%, 322 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 13 handballs, 3 marks, 7 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances & 3 Inside 50s) was below par for a player of his standards. Won enough disposals, but clearance and score involvement numbers were inadequate and abysmal, which was very disappointing. Expect a response from you after the bye, Taylor. Clear the way forward in your next game by taking control and impacting the contest as you've done for the bulk of 2020.

Jack Crisp (30 disposals @ 67%, 438 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 14 handballs, 8 marks, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) provided plenty of drive off half-back, and was immense with his ability to thwart attacking entries at will.

John Noble (23 disposals @ 87%, 218 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) showed his flair once again to use the ball effectively, aside from a couple of handpasses that subsequently resulted in goals to the Lions.

Jack Madgen (19 disposals @ 84%, 138 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 10 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles & 5 Rebound 50s) is proving that he can play at AFL level with a high level of comfort and confidence that he has displayed in recent weeks.

Brayden Maynard (14 disposals @ 71%, 190 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 2 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) was very subdued, but showed aggression when he had the chance with and without the footy in his hands.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (16 disposals @ 81%, 135 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 11 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements & 3 Inside 50s) provided an outlet on the wing again with his marking game. I believe Hoskin-Elliott is pushing up a bit too high up the ground, as he would be of better value closer to goal. Look to create or kick goals from your marks, Will.

Callum Brown (14 disposals @ 64%, 225 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) worked hard in attack with his tackling pressure being a hallmark of his game. Ball use was a problem, and needs to corrected so that he can keep his spot.

Brody Mihocek (7 disposals @ 57%, 209 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) kicked an early goal, before drifting out of the game. Dropped an absolute soda in the goal square during the last quarter, which ultimately denied the Woods any meaningful chance of having the wood over the Lions.

Mason Cox (7 disposals @ 100%, 5 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 2 goals) managed to eke out a couple of goals that kept Collingwood in touch, but poor ball use prevented him from being a viable target for the entire game.

Collingwood's next game will be against Gold Coast on September 14 at the Gabba. Finals implications on the line for the Woods. Now or never in this game, and the biggest conundrum for the Magpies is having a cohesive group of forwards that are able to take marks, win the ball at ground level, and most importantly, convert goals. Now's the time to ensure the Suns do not rise above the horizon at night and burn them off after the sun has set.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:59 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
I dont buy the 5 day break vs 12. Not yesterday. They were 2 down on the bench and we had all the momentum in the last. 15 to 4 inside 50s so it wasn’t a problem of getting the pill.

Too many players have poor skills and many make poor decisions under pressure. Unfortunately this is not a quick fix we will have to go to the draft and look for good ball users.

They say Bianco is a good ball user, well if he is then he must come in to give him a taste, dont go to Varcoe as a replacement for Tom (I ran 10km for 5 kicks) Philips.

I don’t buy too many players have poor skills. Fatigue creates poor skills. Compare our skills to earlier in the season when we had reasonable breaks between games and equal to the opposition. Kicks hit targets, smarter decisions. We looked tired last night, and there’s a reason for that.

But we didn’t fade out. We got stronger once two thighs happened.

Phillips went off injured
We stopped hand balling as much. We still hand balled too much but we started kicking the ball forward.

Agree with Mr M. We looked spent in that last qtr and was reflected in the standard of delivery (and acceptance of) in the forward line. Had we a 7 day break I reckon we'd have run all over the top of them. A -14 day break differential against our opponents is a major factor in many of our performances in the last 8 weeks. No other club has copped this...

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:41 am

We had 53 more disposals than them and 8 more i50s than them, and still lost. If fatigue was that much of an issue then I doubt we would've attracted that much ball going forward. It's a convenient excuse that takes away from the fact that we are a poorly skilled team at the best of times. We are generally slow to move the ball, make poor decisions and basic skill errors, and often turn the ball over at HB or going fwd. I lost count the amount of times we kicked it to the brions in our fwd 50. We do this regardless of whether we've had a 5 day break or a 13 day break. It's an all too common trend under NB. Most of what is wrong with this team comes down to game plan and execution.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:00 am

Spot on. Fatigue and the break between games is a poor excuse for all the reasons you state. Also, our disposal has been poor all season long regardless of the break between games.

This is a case of losing because we played badly. We have too many players underperforming. It's NOT about AFL fixturing, injuries, umpires.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:27 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Well, I had a look at the replay of the second quarter today and that confirmed what I thought:that we lost the game in that quarter through our own mistakes

That was brave of you. Not pleasant viewing.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Sideways, backwards handballs, slow ball movement, over use of the footy are all consequences of the opposition applying more pressure on us for longer than what we applied in return. The result of the vast majority of games is determined by pressure ( especially in an equalised comp )
There is very little difference in any clubs game plans. Certain commentators would have you believe there is but they wouldn’t have a job if they didn’t.
I would be interested if someone could explain the difference between Crows game style ( grand final in 2017 ) game style and Richmond‘s. There is very little, except one club is broken and isn’t trying and the other can smell a third flag. It all comes back to the desire to execute pressure for longer.
Our “ game plan “ seemed ok when we drew with Richmond and it looked even better when we beat Geelong and belted the saints.
We had bad losses against Bombers and Dockers because they applied more pressure for longer, not because Buckley’s game style was no good all of a sudden.
The game changed between 2015 and 2016 when guarding territory gave way to pressuring the ball carrier and a small forwards value was determined by his defensive attributes rather than his goal tally.
Having said that, it’s Buckley’s job on game day to get all those 22 players mentally prepared to want to work harder and longer than the opposition.
There wouldn’t be a result this year where a team who applied less pressure for an extended period, won the game.
I can absolutely promise you Buckley is not trying to move the ball slowly ( particularly from the centre line forward ) nor is he asking his players to get off a chain of defensive handballs that take the ball closer to the oppositions goal line.
The reason that’s happening is because we are being out pressured at that stage of the game. Our real problem is that when it’s our turn to out pressure the opposition, we aren’t making a scoreboard impact ( which is a different topic ) You only get so many bites at the cherry when you have momentum.
Conversely, if both teams apply similar levels of pressure during the course of the game, then usually the best skilled team of the two will go on to win.

Finally, this game is now all about repeat physical efforts. You can choose to call 4 games in 14 days an excuse if you want but you can’t continue to draw blood out of a stone. When the opposition have the same schedule, then I accept all bets are off but if your opposition is playing 2 games in 14 days, they will be capable of offering more repeat pressure efforts to give on the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19   

Jump to: