Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Other midfield options?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:49 pm
Post subject: Other midfield options?Reply with quote

In the absence of Sidey, Treloar, Sier and De Goey, we have relied on the Brown brothers to play in the midfield. Without denigrating their efforts, or even their prospects for improvement, neither of them seems good enough imo. Other than Wills, who seems to have lost favour, I wonder if we have any other options at all on our list to turn to, if our stars continue to be unavailable?

I wonder if Bianco could get a game as a running defender, allowing Quaynor to be given a run on the ball? It just seems to me that this, more than anywhere, is where we need to find significant improvement, and fast, if we are to do any good this year.
CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaynor would just be adding another outside presence, what we need is a significant inside presence.

That could come in the shape of 190cm 91kg Nightmare Brayden Maynard. Compare his size to Adams who is only 181cm 83kg, and also consider his long spearing accurate kicking and it seems quite possible that Maynard could become not only a good-midfield inclusion, but our most important one.

With the successful inclusion of Greenwood back into defense to fill the Maynard void I think this is a very realistic option for this year and next.

Currently at 23 years old, Maynard could next season become a 95kg midfield bull that is at the heart of every stoppage and driving us fwd more than anybody else
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:55 pm

^ Interesting thought. Could work.
Crispy has been tried in the middle and runs forward off the backline a fair bit too at centre bounces, (which has definitely worked to advantage on occasions).
The problem then becomes the gaping hole that would be left in the backline, if Bruzzy was moved. I greatly admire Levi's tenacity, but he just doesn't have the leg speed of Maynard. Plus, this is probably his last season.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:03 pm

I dunno, maybe Treloar could be given a chance?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Other midfield options?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
In the absence of Sidey, Treloar, Sier and De Goey, we have relied on the Brown brothers to play in the midfield. Without denigrating their efforts, or even their prospects for improvement, neither of them seems good enough imo. Other than Wills, who seems to have lost favour, I wonder if we have any other options at all on our list to turn to, if our stars continue to be unavailable?

I wonder if Bianco could get a game as a running defender, allowing Quaynor to be given a run on the ball? It just seems to me that this, more than anywhere, is where we need to find significant improvement, and fast, if we are to do any good this year.

When you lose 4 of your top 22 quality mids, this is what happens. No team would be able to cover the extent of the decimation we have suffered in the midfield. I agree that this is the fundamental reason for our inability to score and connect forward: the continual suppressed state of our midfield, against high quality opposition. There is no way unfortunately that we can prevail against Top 4 teams until we get some of our guns back.
The bye could not come at a better time for us. If JDG can get back for GC game, that would be a start. I think we can beat GC with our present resources. I am wondering if the return of Adz is possible after that? I have not heard any info about his progress, which in itself is a bad sign. The void in our midfield precludes us pushing deep into finals, and reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic (moving Maynard into the midfield, etc) cannot address it. The only thing that can address it is for them to recover in time.

CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:14 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
^ Interesting thought. Could work.
Crispy has been tried in the middle and runs forward off the backline a fair bit too at centre bounces, (which has definitely worked to advantage on occasions).
The problem then becomes the gaping hole that would be left in the backline, if Bruzzy was moved. I greatly admire Levi's tenacity, but he just doesn't have the leg speed of Maynard. Plus, this is probably his last season.

In that case we would have to rely on the leg speed of Crisp, Quaynor and Noble unless we can find a better 3rd option than Noble who has been playing well, If Maynard goes Midfield.

Maynard can be much more influential at the contest, which I think is a greater benifit as a team
CakeWalkin 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:19 pm
Post subject: Re: Other midfield options?Reply with quote

Magpietothemax wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

When you lose 4 of your top 22 quality mids, this is what happens. No team would be able to cover the extent of the decimation we have suffered in the midfield. I agree that this is the fundamental reason for our inability to score and connect forward: the continual suppressed state of our midfield, against high quality opposition. There is no way unfortunately that we can prevail against Top 4 teams until we get some of our guns back.
The bye could not come at a better time for us. If JDG can get back for GC game, that would be a start. I think we can beat GC with our present resources. I am wondering if the return of Adz is possible after that? I have not heard any info about his progress, which in itself is a bad sign. The void in our midfield precludes us pushing deep into finals, and reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic (moving Maynard into the midfield, etc) cannot address it. The only thing that can address it is for them to recover in time.

The question is, even when we get our mids back, Can we compete with the tougher midfields like WC and Port ?

I am yet to believe we can, unless we sacrifice JDG from the fwd line
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:26 pm

Which we obviously can't..
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:59 pm

You can't take Maynard and Crisp out of the backline. They're too valuable. Quaynor is developing beautifully as well at half back. Don't move him either. The Brown brothers are coming along nicely. People need to have patience with Callum who hasn't come on as expected this year. It happens with players. It takes time and Collingwood supporters are too impatient. Tyler needs more body strength and that will come. Callum has to get used to playing against taller opponents. Our midfield options are reduced by the slowness of the Wills and the propensity of Sier to injure himself. I'd cut our losses with both at the end of the season. Give game time to Rantall. Keep playing the Brown brothers. They'll come good.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Remember last year when the same people wanted Daicos delisted?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 pm

It’s always easier ( and generally cheaper ) to “ rejuvenate “ a mid field than half a spine.
I’m not sure there’s much value in trying anything funky with only a couple home and aways to go. Any experimentation will happen in the pre season.
With a little luck and a reduced salary cap across the comp, hopefully we can secure ourselves a plug n play mid via a trade and give McInnes some game time if he’s deemed ready.
It will be both a trade period and a draft the likes of which we probably won’t see again. If we get it right, we can improve our midfield depth very quickly ( albeit that Pendles is irreplaceable )
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:19 pm

They always say Grundy is like a fourth midfielder. So why not try him there while Cox is contesting the centre bounces? That's what you'd call a big bodied midfielder. 😀
Achilles 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
They always say Grundy is like a fourth midfielder. So why not try him there while Cox is contesting the centre bounces? That's what you'd call a big bodied midfielder. 😀

Yes, I've often wondered this.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:22 pm

The downside would be that our midfield would go from being slow to being statuesque.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:42 pm

^You'd have to have Treloar and Elliott in there with him.

Last edited by Sicks Bux on Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: