Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Interesting analysis of our stoppage problems

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:13 am
Post subject: Interesting analysis of our stoppage problemsReply with quote

From the ABC:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-06/afl-stoppage-an-art-shaping-collingwood-magpies-results/12525480

This only scratches the surface but it contains some interesting data analysis and illustrative video snips.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Explained by no Pendles? Elliot seems to get a bit of the ball in there but you couldn’t call him a mid. He actually fumbles quite a bit and I’m not convinced on his defensive running. Throw in Crisp who is 100% not a mid then I think it easily explains this.

Oh and the turn over merchant Treloar!

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 am

Adams gave them a lesson in turnovers last week. I was actually hoping he wouldn;t get the ball.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:53 am

ronrat wrote:
Adams gave them a lesson in turnovers last week. I was actually hoping he wouldn;t get the ball.

When players have to do it all this is what happens. You have to ask what some other players were doing.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Grundy should just smash it forward twenty metres at the centre bounces like Clarke Keating used to. It sets the tone from the get-go.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:51 pm

Thanks !
It’s a brilliant analysis for the purist ( and that’s basically anyone who doesn’t feel the need to pot debutants or kids )
I have felt for a while that are some teams with rubbish rucks are now prepared to spend more time positioning themselves in Grundys tapping zone rather than focussing entirely on the hit out. ( “ shadowing “ in the ruck )

As the analysis suggested, so much of the game day strategy centres around risk versus reward strategies. I also feel Collingwood has become more risk adverse this year because there is obviously no trust in either Cox or Cameron up forward.
It’s a lot easier to want to move the ball quickly when you have trust in your big blokes up forward ( ie Ports improvement )

There are also plenty strategists who will tell you that the most important disposal in footy is the second disposal from the clearance. This is where we have truly missed Pendles and Sidey. The last thing you want is any of Adams, Sier or Wills pinpointing the ball onto the chest of an undersized forward line.

Thanks again. I recommend everyone read it.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:21 pm

We are getting smashed at centre clearances. I believe that this occurs because we do not have a defensive mid that can annul opposition mids. Wills has been the most adept at this (but not this season, unfortunately) and until we develop some big-bodied mids that can play a shut down role, as well as win their own ball, we will continue to be bullied in this area.

In my opinion, this is symptomatic of a larger problem at the Pies in that we are far too soft around the ball and are too easily displaced at contests. Hawthorn were masters of 'unsociable' footy. Richmond are now the leaders in physicality around the ball. Until we can withstand any kind of physical pressure and, more importantly, impart our own brand of 'tough' footy we will always languish in this area.

In a nutshell, we are too damn soft.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 pm

^ I remember that game at Docklands last year when North came out and physically pummelled us. The boys should watch that game again just to get a reminder of what tough uncompromising football is supposed to look like. We need to come out and play like that ASAP to get rolling again.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Thanks !
I also feel Collingwood has become more risk adverse this year because there is obviously no trust in either Cox or Cameron up forward.
It’s a lot easier to want to move the ball quickly when you have trust in your big blokes up forward ( ie Ports improvement )

There are also plenty strategists who will tell you that the most important disposal in footy is the second disposal from the clearance. This is where we have truly missed Pendles and Sidey. The last thing you want is any of Adams, Sier or Wills pinpointing the ball onto the chest of an undersized forward line.

Thanks again. I recommend everyone read it.

Very true the point you make about not trusting our forwards. This certainly would undermine a huge effort from our guys to rush the ball forward with speed, if we have no confidence in our talls to take a mark or bring it to ground. Maybe that is why we seem to play so much faster when JDG is upforward. We have confidence that he can make something happen. Maybe that is the reason we are playing Reid this evening...hoping that he can at least become a target our mids can have some confidence in.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
Grundy should just smash it forward twenty metres at the centre bounces like Clarke Keating used to. It sets the tone from the get-go.

Absolutely it was what Monky would do to Paul Williams as well.

www.facebook/the hybernators
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
We are getting smashed at centre clearances. I believe that this occurs because we do not have a defensive mid that can annul opposition mids. Wills has been the most adept at this (but not this season, unfortunately) and until we develop some big-bodied mids that can play a shut down role, as well as win their own ball, we will continue to be bullied in this area.

In my opinion, this is symptomatic of a larger problem at the Pies in that we are far too soft around the ball and are too easily displaced at contests. Hawthorn were masters of 'unsociable' footy. Richmond are now the leaders in physicality around the ball. Until we can withstand any kind of physical pressure and, more importantly, impart our own brand of 'tough' footy we will always languish in this area.

In a nutshell, we are too damn soft.

I disagree that Rich are physical - they are small, with 9 players less than 180cm on their list. WC have 3, we have 5.
They are fast but not physically imposing by any measure.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:33 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Sicks Bux wrote:

Absolutely it was what Monky would do to Paul Williams as well.

Last night one of the commentators said we look a lot better when Grundy hits it forward and our mids can run on to it rather than when he tries to palm it down to them. Or words to that effect.

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:36 pm

ThePieMind wrote:

I disagree that Rich are physical - they are small, with 9 players less than 180cm on their list. WC have 3, we have 5.
They are fast but not physically imposing by any measure.

Your argument is valid. Richmond may not be physically dominant in stature but they do push the limit of being 'unsociable' around the ball. They do the little things that prevent opposition from playing on or getting free. How many times do you see Richmond players hang on to opposition, especially after a mark (despite that apparently being against the rules) or stand over opposition at contests, all to the limit of what is deemed acceptable (without penalty). Reiwoldt's 'sack whack' last week is typical of the 'in your face' niggling behaviour that they perpetrate. We do not do these things and I fear we are perceived as weak. We, in my opinion, are soft in this regard and this is symptomatic of a culture that is not ruthless enough.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 pm

^ No doubt the best teams have a brand and they stick to that brand, so everyone who comes in to the team knows exactly what they are signing up to do.

Hawks post 2011
Geelong all through this decade
Richmond over the past 3 years

All three are characterised by coaches who you know will test every rule to get an advantage and once they find that, they exploit it brilliantly. All three coaches were also arseholes as players.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Bucks is a samurai, honour and play by the rules. But in war you have to fight dirty. Premiership teams always have a bit of dirty mongrel in them, we need to find that. Nice guys finish last, and I’m speaking from experience. I admire Bucks, but dig deep for that mongrel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: