Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lose to Port. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
The other big problem with our forward line that doesn’t receive enough conversation is that our two key tall planks are simply not natural forwards.
Their knowledge of playing those two key positions is close to zero.
Both have had very little experience at leading patterns, handovers when you’re being sucked up the ground, false leads, creating space or reading the play when the game is 100% in front of them.
It’s not their fault, in truth both Miochek and Cox have done well to adapt to their positions but it’s nowhere near enough when other clubs key planks have started as key forwards since their U12 days.
Conversely, they also stand little chance of being effective every week when they come up against natural defenders in well drilled team defences.

Yep, and one is not a natural anything, because the game is totally foreign to him. It'd be easier for him to ruck, because rucking is easier for a foreigner to learn than playing key forward.

Expecting rookies to be premiership key forwards is expecting too much. They are being asked to do too much. Mihocek's finals record is very poor.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:23 pm

Cam wrote:
Sidebottom should be on the damn plane to Perth.

I know. And Jamie Cripps will be rejoining WCE after his wife gave birth last week.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:24 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

No, he was hopelessly slow before those injuries.

He had foot surgery when we drafted him, even before his knee recos, so we never got to see him before injuries slowed him up.

I can't see how the foot surgery would have robbed him of speed.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:25 pm

K wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Port will go out in straight sets. You heard it here first.

I hope not, unless we miraculously win the flag.

Thats the plan...

Def WCE in Perth

Def Port in Adelaide

Def Richmond in Brisbane

Def Brisbane in Brisbane

Cool Razz Cool

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Cam wrote:
Sidebottom should be on the damn plane to Perth.

I know. And Jamie Cripps will be rejoining WCE after his wife gave birth last week.

Maybe Cripps wasn’t “under the thumb” unlike Sidearse🤨

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:26 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Port Adelaide have been very luck too; they hardly had any injuries this year.

Spot on, like i have said for ages, Bucks has never had a fully fit, healthy team, in his long tenure, ever, and when our players go out, they go missing for bloody ages, look at Langdon for example. I dont know if its our Fitness Dept or what, but it needs to be adjusted, cant be all just rotten bad luck. Look, at the end of the day, we played below par, tried hard, but below par, yet Port, the so called Minor Premiers, only kicked 2 more goals than us, its not as if we got absloutely smashed by ten goals. ! It is what it is, the top team v the 8th team. I disagree with those doomsayers here, its been a weird season, totally, hubs etc, a very low scoring season, by many teams. Injuries have hit us hard again, yet we still made Finals. Next year, i can see at least 8 departures from the team, retirements etc, it will be a younger, fresher Magpies team, with kids like IQ, Ruscoe, Kelly, Daicos, Browns, get too the draft, use pick 11 wisely, get more kids, kids bring enthusiasm, get Grundy rested and fit, get Stevo back in a good head space. Maybe get Hogan in the draft if we can, or Cameron ? Thngs can turn fast, look at Port and the Saints, last yr, the saints were shit and sacked their coach, he comes in, gets new players, and away they go. I think next year we can compete well again, we can bounce back, we just have to get a few things sorted out over the long break, and gettng back to the MCG will help us immensely too. Smile

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
I am struggling to recall the last time we had a truly dominant forward line? Maybe 2011 - although that was more a team effort with high numbers of individual goal kickers and lots of midfielders contributing to the score line. Geez, even our half-back line was regularly on the scoreboard back then.
The next biggest issue staring at us in our lack of midfield depth. ...

Or midfield. (Or... ahem...ruckman.)
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Port Adelaide have been very luck too; they hardly had any injuries this year.

Spot on, like i have said for ages, Bucks has never had a fully fit, healthy team, in his long tenure, ever, and when our players go out, they go missing for bloody ages, look at Langdon for example. I dont know if its our Fitness Dept or what, but it needs to be adjusted, cant be all just rotten bad luck.

This is the point though, isn't it? A season of bad luck is unfortunate. Two seasons is very bad luck. Three years and you need to look at systems. More than that and must change the systems! How often do Collingwood players endure longer stints on the sidelines than other teams? How many injuries a season do Collingwood suffer relative to other teams? When was the last time that Collingwood went through a season relatively unscathed??
The buck (pardon the pun) stops with the top dog. The senior coach gets to appoint fitness, strength and conditioning staff. He is responsible. It must change.
Having said that, I was pleased to hear that they finally changed Moore's strength and conditioning regime after years of soft-tissue injuries. Now, it seems, he ha a solid plan that keeps him on the paddock and in tip-top nick (touch wood).

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm

K wrote:
Abdul The Bull wrote:
I am struggling to recall the last time we had a truly dominant forward line? Maybe 2011 - although that was more a team effort with high numbers of individual goal kickers and lots of midfielders contributing to the score line. Geez, even our half-back line was regularly on the scoreboard back then.
The next biggest issue staring at us in our lack of midfield depth. ...

Or midfield. (Or... ahem...ruckman.)

Obviously, we haven't had a decent tall key marking forward since Travis Cloke left.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

The real problem is the absence of dominant talls.

I don't agree that this is the main problem. Other more pressing issues are:
* what Monco Matt said -
Quote:
We are carrying too many and the load is felt by too few. This is the true heart of our problem and it filters through the confidence of team when not all of the 22 pull their weight. Our bottom 6 are a true liability and it needs to be the strength of every premiership team.

* centre bounce clearances
* delivery into the forward line (also related to the points above and below)
* structure and leading patterns in the forward line

Plus, magically acquiring a decent, consistent tall forward is something that's just not possible at this point in time. - Hogan, Daniher might be available at a lower cost, but are too inconsistent and come with too many associated issues. Cameron would be pricier (and also lacks consistency) and is not worth losing one or more of our top line players over.

Improve the above issues and the need for a dominant tall forward is greatly reduced.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 pm

^ I still think a crack at Ben Brown might be the go, i reckon a fresh start, at a new club might work wonders for him, its worth a shot, i dont reckon hes one dimensional at all, he can take a good mark, and on song, hes pretty damn accurate, with his long run ins.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:34 pm

We're playing West Coast on Saturday night (October 3) at 6:10pm WST (8:10pm EST).

https://www.afl.com.au/news/510195/finals-fixture-afl-unveils-times-venues-for-week-one

orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:46 pm
Post subject: pies lose to PortReply with quote

I love Bucks and I always have...

BUT Last night I saw that look of helplessness and resignation that really sat badly with me.

I can't believe he didn't try anything different. We had nothing to lose by throwing some players around.
The Grundy situation is starting to really be an issue. He could have thrown Cox into the ruck[ it would have been just as effective] or should I say ineffective and Put Grundy on the forward line.
I ain't a coach but surely he could have down something..
I want to see him show some passion or frustration, because that's what its like at the moment for us all.

Am I the only one who was slightly bemused at all the smiling after the game. Pendles definitely earned the right to a good send off. He is a genuine superstar.

orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:46 pm
Post subject: pies lose to PortReply with quote

I love Bucks and I always have...

BUT Last night I saw that look of helplessness and resignation that really sat badly with me.

I can't believe he didn't try anything different. We had nothing to lose by throwing some players around.
The Grundy situation is starting to really be an issue. He could have thrown Cox into the ruck[ it would have been just as effective] or should I say ineffective and Put Grundy on the forward line.
I ain't a coach but surely he could have down something..
I want to see him show some passion or frustration, because that's what its like at the moment for us all.

Am I the only one who was slightly bemused at all the smiling after the game. Pendles definitely earned the right to a good send off. He is a genuine superstar.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:58 pm

^ At least he didn't smash the phone. Or is that what you wanted?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13   

Jump to: