Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies dump Toast. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly wrote:
My son said to me at 3/4 time, ‘happy to lose the last quarter by 9 points’ 😂

On Cameron and Grundy, in particular starting Cameron in third and fourth quarters, I reckon Bucks’s view was one of best use. Cameron at least as able (if not more so) than Grundy to just negate Natanui, then have Grundy against their second string when possible, hopefully to advantage.

Agree we have to fix those centre clearance goals. When Elliot is in there he is effective at holding things up if we don’t win it. In any case, clean centre clearances from the Cats will always have them looking for Hawkins. I’d play Moore on Hawkins for centre bounces (with his superior closing speed), even if Roughhead gets the job in general play.

Very astute. When Jamie was in there we held them and were able to zone back a bit on their tall forwards. Yes if we lose the centre clearances this time Hawkins will have a big night on Roughy (maybe). Fortunately Grundy is not on Natanui this week and the bounce should be tighter.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:55 am

What an incredible backs-to-the-wall victory. We were written off by everyone, forced into a strict quarantine and labelled 'dirty' all week by the wa media. Now stick that up your arse meth coast!!!

I have to admit that I didn't give us much hope of winning, simply because I wasn't confident enough in our form or our game style, and I didn't know which Collingwood side was going to show up: jekyll or hyde, the Collingwood that pressures the opposition with clean fast ball movement or the slow panic ridden Pies who are inefficient and resort to hot potato handball. Meth coast seemed to have everything going their way with their government and the afl paving the way for them to prevail at home; star players returning and huge psychological advantage over us. make no mistake this will go down as one of our greatest victories ever. Everyone played their role and stood up when it counted and we attacked, attacked and attacked. It's amazing how easy it can be when it's put into practice. Obviously towards the end we were tiring and that smother by Adams in the centre with 20 odd seconds to go in the final qtr saved the day. Man, that final had everything you could possibly want from a final. I'm very proud and very happy. Let's hope we can back it up on Saturday night and that it didn't knock the stuffing out of us. Go Pies.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:12 pm

The Mongrel Punt’s review of the game is worth a read, particularly for its focus on Levi Greenwood’s performance (and its metaphorical association to penile multiplicity and contraception):

HOW RELEVANT IS THE ROLE OF THE TAGGER IN THE MODERN GAME?

It’s a good time to ask, considering we just saw Levi Greenwood take Tim Kelly completely out of the game.

Kelly finished the evening with just 12 touches, as after centre bounces, Greenwood went to him and wore him like a man with five penises would wear a rubber glove – uncomfortably!

One of the more underrated run-with players, Greenwood also found ways to hurt the Eagles with the footy, going from the role of pure negation to that of threat with the footy in-hand.

Kelly has had some experience with taggers and has learnt to apply himelf in different ways to ensure he stays involved – his tackling was excellent in this one, but even that was matched by the output of his harasser, who had eight drag downs of his own to match TK and hit an equal game-high number.

Kelly ran hard, but everywhere he went, Greenwood was sure to follow.

With the Pies the only team remaining who opt to play a run-with player such as Greenwood, it is interesting to wonder who he’ll go to next week as the Pies play the Cats. Will he hit the centre hard after the bounce and take on Dangerfield? Or maybe someone like the long-kicking Sam Menegola could bob up on his radar.

Surely his performance in negating Tim Kelly gives him another run in the team next week? Imagine getting dropped after a game like that!

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2020/2020/10/04/collingwood-v-west-coast-the-big-questions/
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:26 pm

Larry wrote:
Mossi wrote:
shawthing wrote:

P.S. A very special guts and determination award to every Pies fan that was at Optus last night having to put up with the redneck feral crowd. So proud of youse all as Jeff Fenech would say.

Would have loved to have been there!! By the way Jeff Fenech is a Collingwood supporter 😁
I was abusing that feral crowd through my TV!

The bit I don’t understand is collingwood made it difficult for collingwood supporters to get tickets. I have WA based membership so could get tickets. But tried to used my melb based family legends membership to buy Perth based collingwood fan family tickets and they would not work. Spoke to collingwood about it and they had organized only enough tickets for WA members. Wouldnt they want to get as many pies supporters there it just doesn’t make sense to me. They want to keep the money people have paid them but take away what are normal entitlements.

But it’s great to be in Perth today heaps of people out with pies gear on.

This has been a sh!t show all season. My son is a Legends member based in QLD. Do you think he could get tickets easily for the QLD hub games?! Like pulling teeth... very disappointing especially since he kept that faith (and supprt) by not requesting a refund on his membership. I would have thought that this would have been a great opportunity for the club to acknowledge that support of their interstate members in a unique situation.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:31 pm

Up there with all the greats wins. Still smiling today. Checkers left foot goal ont he run will live with me forever was unbelievable
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:32 pm

BBHS wrote:
Up there with all the greats wins. Still smiling today. Checkers left foot goal ont he run will live with me forever was unbelievable

Like Heater's smother in the 2010 GF, this is when I 'knew' that the Gods were on our side and the game was ours...

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Pure pleasure Saturday to see absolutely every player pitch in.
The maligned ones.
Cox. It wasn’t three goals to his game -there was more (ask JDG after hand pass)

JT. Blindsided ump and switched on to “throw” to Checkers for goal

There was another that I saw WHE assist for a goal.

Win or not win flag. They damn near deserve it with Saturday total commitment to each other

I am so proud I could burst

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:46 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
BBHS wrote:

Like Heater's smother in the 2010 GF, this is when I 'knew' that the Gods were on our side and the game was ours...

When Treloar blazed away inside 50 instead of drawing a man and hand balling to Cox, Pendlebury or Thomas, or running into goal himself, then failed to make the distance from 45m off a step, and the ball bounced on the line, up and over WHE’s head into McGovern’s hands... that’s when I knew the Footy Gods are seriously mean bastards.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:48 pm

BBHS wrote:

I’m still trying to work out how the hell that went anywhere close to goal, let alone through the goal.

Dropped it awkwardly, drilled his leg at it like a drop kick, on the run no less, and somehow the ball spun perfectly to sail through on the full at the same 1-2m height the whole way. I’m not sure that’s physically possible. Any of it!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:05 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
BBHS wrote:

Yep, such a strange, unfathomable force those footy gods. Some games they have no influence,or are definitely against us, but I too just "knew" that they were on our side in this game. The brilliant goals of both Checkers and JDG in the last quarter were the greatest testament to that. Wink

Watching the replay, I finally found the passage of play from young Daics that was purely magical. Third quarter (I think), he was amongst a pack of players in the middle of the ground. He used his feet soccer-style to control the ball on the ground, then with a delicate, deft little kick gave it backwards out of the pack to Crisp. Extraordinary!!!! He then ran forward, got the handball and delivered superbly to Checkers in the goal square. Just brilliant.

What was also great to recognise in the replay was that Stevo was an entirely different player from a week ago. He worked really hard, showed some sublime dashes of speed, tackled hard and performed lots of 1 percenters. One in particular in the last quarter, where he came out of nowhere to punch the ball clear and stop a likely Eagles mark in front of goal. Another selection win for Bucks and co who took the risk to put their faith in him again.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:05 pm

Apologies. DP again!!! . Shouldn't try to post on the phone!!!
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:24 pm

Real reason Gabba was preferred to Optus Stadium......

It has nothing to do with the Quarantine Laws

WCE_memes.jpg

think better 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Looking at the replay the managing of Grundy makes good sense. In the last quarter he was much more active - a couple of really good marks and a bit more in general play.

without Cameron on the ground he might not have been so effective

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:24 pm

^ Both Grundy and Cameron took some very important marks around the ground late in the game. Grundys tackle on Darling was huge!
No doubt, inclusion of Cameron helped this happen and the fact we had the big men fresh and roaming negated the lost clearances- just!!
It also allowed Mason to stay forward.

Great move by the Pies.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:30 pm

They may or may not exercise this plan as opponents may find a counter but thing to me is there is some thinking outside side the normal

Irrespective of the retention of this plan what IMO it’s created is belief

And that is something no game plan can create

We have taken a big step and must build on it

Team confidence has increased,so has mine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23   

Jump to: