Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies thumped by Cats. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Honestly most of the excuses above are just plain bull*hit, mind you I'm not surprised, you guys have been making up excuses for as long as I can remembere

I think your problem is that you perceive the comments differently because you don’t recognise that these are reasons as seen by posters and to my deciphering, they are not mere excuses that meets your definition of excuses. And never the ‘Twain shall meet😚 We can all witness the identical event and recall it totally differently. Disparity rules with human beings 🤫

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:43 am

^ Your post is absolutely spot on I reckon Lazza. Great and clear insight IMHO!!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:51 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
^ Your post is absolutely spot on I reckon Lazza. Great and clear insight IMHO!!

There are aspects of Linus' belief in the Great Pumpkin here.

https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:55 am

Not biting, not looking 5FTWOD. I have recognized the futility of continuing this discussion Smile
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Not biting, not looking 5FTWOD. I have recognized the futility of continuing this discussion Smile

Yes you will.
I know you will.
You know you will.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:58 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

That is brilliant 👌 Summed it up perfectly. Loved it 😎

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:04 am

Lazza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Oh bugar Lazza!! You shouldn't have said that Wink Now I am tempted to go and have a look - but nup, I'm going to be stubborn Wink Laughing Perhaps I will a little further down the track? Smile
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:06 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:

Hilarious... true even Wink

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:33 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Lazza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Oh bugar Lazza!! You shouldn't have said that Wink Now I am tempted to go and have a look - but nup, I'm going to be stubborn Wink Laughing Perhaps I will a little further down the track? Smile

Just do it. It’s soothing.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:32 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

It’s no wonder Buckley is just about the record holder for the longest serving player/coach in the AFL without winning a premiership.

There is no 'just about' about it, he is the record holder...

It’s not his fault.
He was tired.

oh, that really adds to the debate - how insightful and relevant!

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:35 pm

I don’t mean to be rude but it’s my belief that supporters such as yourself are a very large part of the reason for the continually poor performances of our club when it really matters. Set up a standard where failure is accepted and then when it occurs, tell them how special they are for trying in those really hard circumstances.

Had Geelong not eased off with half a game remaining to save themselves for their next game, we would most likely had our worst performance in a final in over 100 years. Why was that the case? According to you and those like minded it was because they were so tired that they couldn’t even stand on the mark. Why were they so tired that they couldn’t stand on the mark, or even run, right from the opening bounce? Because they were tired. Why were they tired? Because they had to do what professional athletes all around the world do.

I didn’t hear it but I understand that at the Copeland, Buckley talked about how tired the team was and that they were spent. If that is correct, it is a cop out seeking to paper over a problem with the preparation. In other words, it serves two purposes. First, we didn’t perform badly in the circumstances. Second, it’s not my fault.

It’s no wonder Buckley is just about the record holder for the longest serving player/coach in the AFL without winning a premiership. Compare him to a successful coach and player such as Sheedy. In terms of results, Sheedy had 3 premierships as a player and 4 premierships as a coach. As a young coach in 83 his Essendon team made the GF for the first time in many years &Hawthorn smashed them. At the GF dinner that night the players and supporters were happy, laughing and joking, so pleased that they had made the GF. Sheedy was livid and disgusted with that attitude and behaviour. He took the microphone and blasted the lot of them. The room was left in stunned silence. The bar was set for the future though. Back to back premierships over the next two years. And, in the first of them, one of the best come from behind last quarter wins you will ever see. That sort of thing happening in a final at our club is just a dream.

I agree with this post. Sums it up perfectly. I reckon that before the game, I tended to err on the side of believing in the Great Pumpkin too often. But something changed for me after this game. Excuses of 'being spent", "Geelong being all fired up", etc just don't measure up. If Bucks did say that the team was "spent" and "had nothing more to give"at the Copeland, then I agree, that is a way to absolve everyone from responsibility, (including himself) and it is a way also to avoid reviewing the game and drawing lessons from it for the future.
It goes without saying that, after a game like that, a coach who is hell bent on winning a flag would review this game ruthlessly in order to uncover what went wrong, including his own mistakes as well as those of the players. Is that what Bucks intends to do? Or does he intend just to "move on"?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:05 am

Might be time to shut this very painful thread down now, close it, this game was a dreadful aberration, a nightmare that we all should just close the book on, forget it, and look towards next season, and happier times.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 am

^^^
This type of post is exactly what I was referring to.
Don’t work out why it occurred.
Just pretend it didn’t.
It will all be ok next year.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:06 am

It’s a source of some concern that, despite that pitiful showing, the plausible offseason reports, so far, relate to the retirement, delisting or possible trading of a bunch of players who didn’t play in this debacle. Of course, Collingwood can’t move on all of the poor performers but I’d be concerned if there isn’t a great deal of player-by-player scrutiny happening behind closed doors.

This game was one of Collingwood’s very lowest points in living memory. I don’t think they get to “move on” quite so quickly from this one. Of course, Reid, Varcoe, Scharenberg, Broomhead, Dunn etc had to be put out to pasture - but the serious question-marks are over the 22 who dished up that rubbish. A message needs to be sent that a performance like that is not acceptable. The necessary message is only going to be given by ending the Collingwood careers of some players who were on the ground in this final. Moreover, some “important” senior players need to be part of the change. It’s easy to focus on the fringe players who came up short - I’d like to see some serious impact on some of the highly-paid players who, to all intents and appearances, did not turn up to play. The post-game response all seems a little cozy, at the moment.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:44 am

I have gone through the records.
The thing that really annoyed me was the one scoring shot till half time.
This result equaled our worst ever;
1960 VFL Grand Final
Melbourne Collingwood 8.14 (62) 2.2 (14)
Quarters 1, 2, 3, 4 MEL 4.3 (27) 5.5 (35) 7.12 (54) 8.14 (62) COL 0.0 (0) 1.0 (6) 2.0 (12) 2.2 (14)
Date 24 September 1960
Stadium Melbourne Cricket Ground
You cannot say this is nothing to be concerned about.
It was a perfect night for football.
In the old days the grounds looked like a wet pigsty.
In fact, I remember once at Vic Park a collingwood player got knocked out and he landed face down in a huge puddle of water.
I honestly thought he may drown but fortunately another collingwood player pulled him out.
Something is clearly wrong and it is not the state of the ground
The 1960 VFL Grand Final was an Australian rules football game contested between the Melbourne Football Club and Collingwood Football Club, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne on 24 September 1960 in extremely wet conditions due to persistent rain during the previous week. Wikipedia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21   

Jump to: