Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A change is as good as a holiday

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Post subject: A change is as good as a holidayReply with quote

2018 - 2nd
2019 - 3rd
2020 - 6th
2021 - ?

This is an alarming trend. It won't be reversed unless change(s) occurs. I'm sure we all remember what the club went through with Travis Cloke in 2012. He held out for more money and a longer deal. He eventually got his way. He had enormous currency at that time. He was the best forward pack mark in the game. Even though he was a restricted free agent, we could've done a great deal and probably secured a couple of high draft picks. History shows that Cloke, whilst still a good player declined after that. Of course, trading Cloke would've been unpopular. I wish we'd done it.

My point is, tinkering around the edges won't send us back into contention. We need to trade one of our top players. We need to attack the draft aggressively. We need a new set of assistant coaches. We need to get games into our younger players. Most of all our club needs to remember the old adage that if you keep repeating a process which doesn't work and you expect success, you're delusional.

Meaningful change needs to occur. Otherwise we'll continue watching other teams fight for premierships whilst we make excuses and look towards the next year!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment but please note that there IS a difference between reasons and excuses. They have very different connotations. Most times reasons cannot be controlled when they happen but excuses are made up after things happen.
Millane42 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:31 pm
Post subject: Re: A change is as good as a holidayReply with quote

2019 - 4th
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 pm

WCE:

2015 - 2nd
2016 - 6th
2017 - 8th

We can turn it around if we make the right off season moves.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Presti35 wrote:
WCE:

2015 - 2nd
2016 - 6th
2017 - 8th

We can turn it around if we make the right off season moves.

Unfortunately, we can't play ourselves in a GF. If we could, we'd have a much better GF win ratio.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Unfortunately not that easy. The club needs to stay strong and display the same loyalty they ask of the players. If the reporting is correct it the club is being extremely disloyal to Treloar. They are being bastards 🤬😡
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Lazza wrote:
Unfortunately not that easy. The club needs to stay strong and display the same loyalty they ask of the players. If the reporting is correct it the club is being extremely disloyal to Treloar. They are being bastards 🤬😡

I don't think Clubs ask for loyalty.
Everyone knows it is a meat market at the end of the season.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:06 pm

Lazza wrote:

Not loyalty, transparency. If Treloar has been told that the club will entertain trade offers, then that's all the players can expect and that's all they should expect.

Clubs have to make tough calls to be successful.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:24 pm

Transparency is good. I guess I haven’t got a well hidden agenda here in that Treloar has been one of my favourite players since he arrived at the club. I need to accept that this new age process of owning the players enough to handle them like puppet masters is standard practice now, although I don’t have to like it. I find it extremely fortunate that Pendles didn’t suffer the same fate. I’ll miss Treloar and in time I’ll respect the club again once I resolve my disgust and anger at the puppet masters who are a bunch of bloody muppets 🤬😡😖
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:36 pm

We got Adam Treloar with two first round draft picks and hoped he would represent a replacement for an ageing Dane Swan insofar as a tear away from stoppage, fast attacking impactful mid-fielder. A real 9.5/10 multi best and fairest, potential Brownlow Medalist and finals game-breaker. That's what two first round draft picks represent. Unfortunately he has been a very good player 8/10 but one that hasn't matched let alone exceeded expectations.

Don't discount Stewart Dew "advertising Pick 5 and strong interest" in Adam on AFL360 last Monday night and the Pies sudden shift on whether to retain Adam going forward. Uncanny timing and coincidence? Seems logical. I'd rather we be bold vs vanilla and undoubtedly brave decisions with an ounce of measuredness can make a massive difference (eg Wingard trade).

Positives:

* High draft pick
* solid steak knife player
* $700,000+ salary out of long-term cap
* shot across the bow to a complacent paying list

Negatives:

* potential player backlash
* possible culture setback

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm

Potential supporter backlash in a season where attendance at home games is going to be crucial. Your choice and call Collingwood, who are not very used to taking many risks.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:02 am

The Cats have shown you can have the oldest team in the League, but still do some meaningful hard shit, as they make the GF. Maybe we can learn something from them, they sure have turned it all upside down now.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:00 am

Lazza wrote:
Potential supporter backlash in a season where attendance at home games is going to be crucial. Your choice and call Collingwood, who are not very used to taking many risks.

Nah, may onLy be able to have 20-30k max Coll supporters at a game. We’ll get that number easy. So attendance isn’t a concern.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 am

I'm a huge fan of Adam Treloar and I wasn't necessarily suggesting that we trade him. My point is that if we just plod along and do what we've done for the last few years, C grade trades, same coaching staff and so on, then there's no reason why our current slide won't continue.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:59 am

Lazza wrote:

That’s all coming from the media, not the CFC. Last year Gold Coast approached us about Treloar, not the other way round. If you believe what was said, we responded by saying how about your number one draft pick. That’s when the discussion ended. There has been no approach by the CFC to Gold Coast about trading Treloar since the season finished. That’s all coming from the media. The CFC is loyal to it’s players and meets all it’s contract obligations. It’s some Collingwood supporters who aren’t loyal in calls for wanting this player traded to that player traded, not the club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: