Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why can't we develop a Dynasty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

BazBoy wrote:
OK I know football in the 2020,s is vastly different to four decades past but it’s not always the players

When we hit rock bottom 1976 to get our first wooden spoon the following season with close to exactly the same players a man came in and took those wooden spooners to a Grand Final. Sure we didn’t win but it showed that the right person can infuse a winning culture

Could then a new broom again sweep clean

We already had a winning culture pre 1976, just not winning finals.
From 1970 to 1975 at the end of the home and away seasons we finished 1, 4, 3, 1, 4 and 5. 1976 saw us have a political fight which rocked the whole club. We did finish last, but it wasn't the worst team of all time. With a new coach in 77 we bounced back finishing 1, 3, 3, 5 and 2 over the next 5 years. True to form, we were still a pathetic grand final team.

I agree though that a change of coach could make a massive difference to us. It's probably pointless considering that though because we know that it's not likely to happen until the end of 2021 at the earliest.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:58 am

Lazza wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

If it wasn't for the fact, we maintained a large support base over the decades, and our connections in the community etc, we would have gone the way of Fitzroy.

We very nearly did in the early or mid 80’s until a SOS type of fund raising saved the club from the banks getting involved to recoup their loan monies. I remember as an Uni student how proud and happy I was to give about 75% of the money I had with me at the time ($20) towards the fund raising. I’m certain that some older posters here would remember those hard times and given what they could afford to save the club. I still proudly have the thank you certificate the club sent to me🤗

As an aside, we had a few players like Geoff Raines, Mark and Steve Richardson (twins from WA) and others leave the club for greener pastures.

Lazza,

I think you are a bit confused about the Richardsons.

The WA twins were Mike and Stephen Richardson. Mike played for us, then Essendon then the Bears. His twin Stephen played only for Essendon.

Mark was not related. Apart from being about a foot taller than him, he was the son of Wayne Richardson, a former Pies great, and nephew of another, Max. Mark played for only us, a decade after Mike.

Last edited by 5 from the wing on debut on Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:13 am

Yes we did have a winning culture pre 1976 (ironically our reserve side under Ron Richards won the reserve flag)

My point is do we have an administration that has all the right people to take who we have to a flag ,let alone a dynasty

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:20 am

I think that we've pretty much seen where this 'Dynasty" will take us i.e. we might fluke one every 20-30 years...
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:34 am

What'sinaname wrote:
When Menegola goals to bring the Cats back within 16 points with 7 minutes to go, what would Collingwood have done. ...

When he goaled, I was wondering how many Pies players could have done the same. Almost none, I reckon. Our guys can't make the distance or kick straight. And he's not even a star player.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:37 am

BazBoy wrote:
Yes we did have a winning culture pre 1976 (ironically our reserve side under Ron Richards won the reserve flag)

My point is do we have an administration that has all the right people to take who we have to a flag ,let alone a dynasty

If our history is any guide, no.

After the 1990 flag, Mad Monday lasted for a year.

After the 2010 flag, the fight over the succession plan destroyed the most dominant team that I have ever seen wear the black and white.

One thing that really stuck in my mind is a comment made by long suffering St Kilda supporter Mark Fine on his program on SEN shortly before the drawn GF in 2010. He said "please Pies, let us win this one because you guys will probably win a few in a row after it". Nup.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:49 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Because our Club is Very Badly Run

Our club is very unprofessional.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:53 am

K wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
When Menegola goals to bring the Cats back within 16 points with 7 minutes to go, what would Collingwood have done. ...

When he goaled, I was wondering how many Pies players could have done the same. Almost none, I reckon. Our guys can't make the distance or kick straight. And he's not even a star player.

He might have to disagree with you.

And what you mean not a star player? if the All Australian selectors chose Wingers in the team this year Menegola would 100% of been one of them.

Last edited by woodys_world69 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:54 am

woodys_world69 wrote:

I don't think Maynard would goal from a set shot. On the run, he'd make the distance comfortably, but the accuracy would be random.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:49 am

To hell with a Dynasty, id settle for one Premiership every five years or so, that would do me. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Toppi Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:56 am

Hahaha. The answer is simple. 4 first round draft picks for a bloke who can't kick and another scumbag selfish human who barely deserved the right to wear the the colours in the first place.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:29 am

woodys_world69 wrote:
And what you mean not a star player? if the All Australian selectors chose Wingers in the team this year Menegola would 100% of been one of them.

Well, this is his third club, after he failed to break through at his first two, and had a stint in the WAFL to try to earn a third chance.

Good on him for persisting. That was a clutch goal he kicked.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:15 am

Piesnchess wrote:
To hell with a Dynasty, id settle for one Premiership every five years or so, that would do me. !

yup,

on history, we have wait another 10 years!

getting a bit over it

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:54 am

I’m concerned this latest issue with Treloar may be veiwed by playing group as aministration disloyalty
Will it be a destabilising factor which may see a downward trend

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:11 am

And furthermore I’d be cleaning up the camp before even thinking of moving to a better place

I fear that 2017 big review was not in any shape any good for our future
We made some positive appointments in coaching which was a boost but
we took those bright prospects that the new people showed and canned them

Back to the autonomy coaching method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: