Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why can't we develop a Dynasty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I love lamp
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:55 pm

I think we need to have a CEO with the power and authority to run our club, making the necessary strategic decisions, without having to be under the shadow of such a higher profile President as Ed. I've been a strong supporter of Ed, who almost single-handedly saved our club from ruin in the late 1990s, and I still admire his passion and commitment to Collingwood. However, I think the power structure is unbalanced at Collingwood, with our President out powering our CEO. It should be the other way around. At Richmond Brendan Gale, the CEO, is clearly the boss and Peggy O'Neil, as President, is more of a symbolic head or spokesperson.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I think we need to have a CEO with the power and authority to run our club, making the necessary strategic decisions, without having to be under the shadow of such a higher profile President as Ed. I've been a strong supporter of Ed, who almost single-handedly saved our club from ruin in the late 1990s, and I still admire his passion and commitment to Collingwood. However, I think the power structure is unbalanced at Collingwood, with our President out powering our CEO. It should be the other way around. At Richmond Brendan Gale, the CEO, is clearly the boss and Peggy O'Neil, as President, is more of a symbolic head or spokesperson.

He's not the boss though, he reports to the board. That's the way it should be. The difference is that Gale does what he is employed to do and they let him do it, with the board remaining in the background. The president should not be involved in day to day decision making.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:16 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

He's not the boss though, he reports to the board. That's the way it should be. The difference is that Gale does what he is employed to do and they let him do it, with the board remaining in the background. The president should not be involved in day to day decision making.

Would still love to know who made the call on bringing Beams back

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:53 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

You are right that the board appoints the CEO, but once appointed, the CEO should be the one in charge of managing the club, including making all other appointments and generally running the club. The President should set the tone and act as the conduit between the club and its members (ie us), but the CEO should be the one making all the big decisions. Obviously the CEO should be answerable to the board and President, like all CEO's are answerable to their board of directors. What i'm worried about is a situation where we potentially have competing, rather than supporting, centres of power within our club. Being external to it all, I may be way off the mark, and there may be no problem at all, but my fear is that we don't seem to have much evidence of a superior leadership structure at Collingwood. Remember all that rubbish associated with 'Leading Teams'. They did enormous damage imo. Anyway, as I said, I may be off the mark, but I just wish I had more confidence in the strategic direction of our club. than I do at present.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:05 pm

I follow all of that. Our CEO's are always subservient to the President which means that the possibility of change is remoter, and stagnancy is greater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: