Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why can't we develop a Dynasty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Its sliding doors, who knows how the GF of 2018 would have gone, if Maynard had been paid a free kick at the end , as EVERY commentator says he should have been, the game then takes a whole new turn who knows ? Bucks would have got a richly deserved flag but it was not too be . Its hard to get a dynasty team like the Tigers , you need one helll of a lot of luck especially ion the injury front, Richmond always get players back for the Finals, always, Lets start learning from them.

It has nothing to do with that free kick.

Let's compare. Richmond get in front last night and what do they do. Do they go conservative and try to save the game....NO?

When Menegola goals to bring the Cats back within 16 points with 7 minutes to go, what would Collingwood have done. We would have done conservative, tried to save the game and likely lose the game. Richmond didn't take their foot off the throat. They attacked and kicked the final two goals.

That's the difference and why we wont build a dynasty.

I agree 1000%...as club supporters we have to stop this "we were robbed by the umpires" bull#$t "victim" excuse...

What about....

"hey Collingwood wtf happend after the first quater when we were up by what should have been a MATCH winning lead???" ...why did the players stop playing.

Because if they had had a "Richmond" attitude....that free kick not played to Maynard would have mattered zero..we would have been up by five goals....

when it comes to games that count we are just as weak as St.Kilda...we go to water...we have to accept this and own it to fix it and stop deflecting blame.

By blaming the umpires we take the "weak"easy route...we don't have to ask the hard questions and demand better.

Hate, Richmond yes...but geez you have to admire that attitude...Geelong come at us....we are going to take that game off you...and run you into the ground.

We have not had that attitude in a long long time...even 2010 we did our best to give up a grand final we had.

Yeh we lost a nice lead, i get that, but many GFs have gone like that, comes down to last few mins, and fact is, that was a free too Maynard, it was clear and there, and that prick Sheed would not have had his shot for goal would he ? Maynard kicks it, the game takes an entirely different turn, a new direction, who knows what would have happened. ?? Dont u reckon Tiperat Milne would have loved the ball bouncing his way, in last hectic mins of that drawn GF ? The Tigers are a dynasty team, not many teams are like them, look at the Dogs, 2016 and that was it, flags are so damn hard to win, and i bet 99% of Collingwood fans would have loved Maynard to have been paid that free, and it was there, ask how they feel. Umpires can influence games, make NO mistake, to think they dont is utter crap, look at that bastard Stevic, how many times has he crucified us, and other teams as well, your naive to think they dont. Confused Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 pm

BazBoy wrote:

If it wasn't for the fact, we maintained a large support base over the decades, and our connections in the community etc, we would have gone the way of Fitzroy.

We very nearly did in the early or mid 80’s until a SOS type of fund raising saved the club from the banks getting involved to recoup their loan monies. I remember as an Uni student how proud and happy I was to give about 75% of the money I had with me at the time ($20) towards the fund raising. I’m certain that some older posters here would remember those hard times and given what they could afford to save the club. I still proudly have the thank you certificate the club sent to me🤗

As an aside, we had a few players like Geoff Raines, Mark and Steve Richardson (twins from WA) and others leave the club for greener pastures.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Lazza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
Four flags in 67 actually
1953 1958 1990 2010

Four flags since 1936. That's four flags in 83 years.

Much better than one flag in their entire VFL/AFL life like St Kilda or other similar examples. Two sides to every story when discussing flag wins.

Not really because since 1958 we have only won 1 more flag than either of those teams, so like I said I wouldn’t be taking the piss out of these clubs given our history since WW2. We all talk about the bad luck moments when losing GF like the umpires in 2018 and Rocca’s goal in 2002 but we had a bit of luck in both 1990 thanks to Mr Sumich and then again in 2010 with a couple of bounces that went our way when the Saints had momentum. 1st the ball that sat up for Maxwell to smother on the line, 90% of the time that ball just runs on for a goal and of course the Milne bounce.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:23 pm

Make NO mistake, that Dustin Martin is the reason the Tigers now have this dynasty, he is not just a great player, hes a great Finals, Grand Final player, hes best GF player ive probably seen, just friggiin awesome. Had he not played the GF, i reckon Cats had them, 22 points up, going well, but then Dusty stood up, kicked an amazing goal, and lifted his whole team, he literally turned the game, beyond doubt the most important player in the AFL now, 3 norm smith medals, no body will ever equal that record, no player. Hes basically untaggable too, cannot be stopped, what a talent.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Because our Club is Very Badly Run
Adz 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:34 pm

Treloar is on $900,000. Need I say more.

We have noA graders. But we pay half the team the same salary as Martin.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:42 pm

Yep Dave the man is right we are just badly run plus we have no vision for future success we can’t seam to look past our arrogant selfish egos
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Adz wrote:

That's a stupid thing to say. Pendlebury is obviously an A-grader. You can argue at the margins about whoever else you like - but you should actually be ashamed to say that.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Pendlebury then what I’ll say an injury free Moore and Howe and that’s it
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
We are Trash....

THANK U for ur wonderful contribution to the thread, if u truly feel we are trash, may i suggest u bugger off and barrack for the Tigers then, they may be more your speed ,the Punt rd ferals would just adore a negative type like you. Rolling Eyes

and we're going to continue to be trash until we fix the underlying fundamental problems we have at the club.

Wonder how u would go as a Saints fan, ONE flag since the 1870s. Think about that for a moment. AND the Deees, no flag in 56 years. Razz

We talk about Collingwood and the last 61 years that this great club has won only 2 premierships. St Kilda has 1 and Melbourne has 3.

Melbourne has been a little more successful than us and St Kilda can gloat about beating us as well.

I would be aiming a bit higher (as in much higher) than that but I guess that's where we are and have been the last 61 years.

It's sad but that's where we find ourselves.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:53 am

^ Yeh, both 1970 and 2018 GFs, had we won them, as we should have, would have made the world of difference to our Club, just those two GFs, but it was not too be. The Footy Gods are indeed cruel too us, that goes without saying. Well , Richmond are the benchmark now, and we, and the other clubs, must try to emulate them, both on and off the field. Six years ago, they were a basket case, now they dominate football, it can be done.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 am

Bucks said we would become “ Agressive” in trading

Would “Ruthless “ be the more productive way to sustained success

Is the Treloar chapter “Agressive “ or “Ruthless “

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:50 am

BazBoy wrote:
Bucks said we would become “ Agressive” in trading

Would “Ruthless “ be the more productive way to sustained success

Is the Treloar chapter “Agressive “ or “Ruthless “

It’s stupidly and passing the fail buck elsewhere

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:32 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Adz wrote:

That's a stupid thing to say. Pendlebury is obviously an A-grader. You can argue at the margins about whoever else you like - but you should actually be ashamed to say that.

It's a question of the definition of "A grade" though isn't it? This is something I have thought about before, as the definition means different things to different people. If a player makes the All Australian team it's probably acceptable to say that in that particular year they are an A grader

I have no doubt that Pendles is an all time great, but when compared to Martin, and especially in grand finals, he's just not at the same level. Martin has taken GF's and then just ripped the game away from the opposition, much the same as McLeod and Matera did in years gone by. That's not a criticism of Pendles by any means, but some players are just special in that they have something that even the other top players of each generation don't have.

I see a very large difference between an A grader and an elite player. I would see an elite player as someone like Stewart, Hart, Matthews, Bartlett, Carey, Blight, Quinlan, McLeod and Martin. We don't have one of them.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am

OK I know football in the 2020,s is vastly different to four decades past but it’s not always the players

When we hit rock bottom 1976 to get our first wooden spoon the following season with close to exactly the same players a man came in and took those wooden spooners to a Grand Final. Sure we didn’t win but it showed that the right person can infuse a winning culture

Could then a new broom again sweep clean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: