Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Assessing the List

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Post subject: Assessing the ListReply with quote

My opinion of where the list is at post our Geelong defeat, I haven't bothered to pay tribute to those who have or should retire.

Adams, Taylor : Good season tries hard every game, disposal is often poor
Appleby, Flynn : Only young but a depth player at best (update delisted)
Beams, Dayne : Has to go, list clogger on big money (Update Retired)
Bianco, Trent : Without being able to play at any meaningful level have to wait for 2021 to show anything
Bosenavulagi, Atu : Showed a bit in his first game will need to have a big pre-season (Update Traded)
Broomhead, Timothy  : No trade value, retirement beckons (Update Delisted)
Brown, Callum : Still young and got tired as the season progressed, averaging only 13 disposals a game he needs to kick goals if he is going to remain
Brown, Tyler : Needs to bulk up showed some glimpses big pre-season needed
Cameron, Darcy : Showed a bit in his first season as a Pie, but needs to do more
Cox, Mason : Very best is elite but those games are way too far apart, will be 30 in 2021, may have trade value
Crisp, Jack : Wasn't his best season and his disposal lets him down at times, now in his prime
Daicos, Josh : Break out season, still only young, a real highlight for us this year
De Goey, Jordan : Injury interrupted season capable of anything but doesn't produce enough of it. I don't know if he is worth the asking price to remain a Pie
Dunn, Lynden : Retirement the only answer (update retirement confirmed)
Elliott, Jamie : More midfield time robbed us of an important forward asset
Greenwood, Levi : 32 years old for 2021 maybe kept for experience and as a hard bodied tagger if needed
Grundy, Brodie : Was good up until about round 7 (Cats game) and then tapered off, if anything was played injured
Hoskin-Elliott, Will : Averaging 11 disposals and half a goal a game is not enough, strong over head but generally poor - is he trade bait?
Howe, Jeremy : Rising 31 for 2021 but was sorely missed as the backline general and interceptor
Keane, Mark : Was a lamb to the slaughter in his first game where to from here I don't know
Kelly, Will : Showed exciting glimpses in his one game hopefully has a bright future
Langdon, Tom : You would have to say retirement is the only option
Lynch, Max : Only 22 but one game in four years means he's a list clogger, especially if list sizes are reduced
Madgen, Jack : Tries hard but really doesn't have the class, backmen's mistakes are amplified by opposition scores especially in a low scoring team
Maynard, Brayden : Was on track for all Australian and then fell off the pace, you get the feeling that seasons end couldn't come quick enough
Mayne, Christopher : Retirement or possible trade to the west, was a long way off his previous best of 2018/19
Mihocek, Brody : Would be shocked if we can't re-sign him gives it his all but is not a true key forward
Moore, Darcy : Will be in his prime in 2021 (Update has re-signed)
Murphy, Nathan : Don't know what happened to him in 2020 no game time,
Noble, John : Was concerned when he first arrived but as his confidence has grown he provides much needed run and carry. Disposal isn't bad
Pendlebury, Scott : Aging star who still carries too much responsibility, 33 before next season. Desperately needs midfield support with class
Phillips, Tom : Should be in his prime, injury ended what had been a very average season does he have a role in 2021 (Update Traded)
Quaynor, Isaac : Another who had a break-out season looks like he could be a future A grader
Rantall, Jay : Without being able to play at any meaningful level have to wait for 2021 to show anything
Reid, Ben : Retired
Roughead, Jordan : 2020 wasn't as good as 2019 for him but that is probably more to do with Howe missing
Ruscoe, Trey : Seems a likely type, very keen, provided a bit of spark in the games he played
Scharenberg, Matthew : Unfortunate run of injuries, time to say goodbye, doesn't have much trade currency, perhaps the Crows might be interested (Update Delisted)
Sidebottom, Steele : One of our best players and was missed at the end but I for one understand and support his decision to be home
Sier, Brayden : Potential is what he has according to some but what has he really shown. 2021 might be his last chance as a Pie
Stephenson, Jaidyn : Only young but a bit of a worry. Loads of talent but needs to bring something every game. Attitude seems an issue (Update Traded)
Thomas, Josh : Times up, plays a role but too often makes mistakes at crucial times
Tohill, Anton : Don't know, young project player list size may dictate his future
Treloar, Adam : In his prime but a lot of his disposals are just thrown onto the boot and don't advantage us. Is it the way of the future? Hit and hope (Update Traded)
Varcoe, Travis : Overdue retirement. (update retirement announced)
Wills, Rupert : Trade bait, can't see us keeping both Sier and Wills on the same list (Update Delisted)
Wilson, Tom  : Don't know, young project player list size may dictate his future, although being an elite junior may save his spot over a few others

Last edited by Born to Pie on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:29 pm
Post subject: Re: Assessing the ListReply with quote

Bianco and Rantall could become a good players. Look forward to a proper 2021 VFL season. Atu gets another year too.

Will be gone:
Beams, Varcoe, Reid, Dunn, Langdon, Broomhead, Lynch, Wills, Appleby, Tohill. That's 10 players. Keane and Murphy could be looking at delistment too.

Possible trades:
WHE, Phillips, Scharenberg, Sier, Cox

JDG and Stephenson would rather keep, but I'd still like to see all offers.

There's lots of cap and space to work with there.

Need to find a fkn FF. Need to find young key defenders too as Roughy will be 30 and Reid and Dunn will be gone. Need to look at replacing JT who is 29 and looking at help in the middle.

The question is, do we top up for a shot in '21 or do we go to the draft?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Presti35, Buckley in last night’s presser was a big wrap for Keane as a key position player, either forward or back. I expect he’ll stay.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm

We have way too many gaps for a serious shot at 2021. Am worried Buckley will go for broke and bring in top up players in a hope to save his coaching career.

All that will do is clog our list in 2022 making is harder for a rebuild.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:10 pm

OP harsh on Keane - his debut really wasn’t that bad apart from 1 horrible turnover which seems to be the only thing some people remember - and also Madgen who apart from a bad game yesterday- had plenty of company there- is easily our “most improved” player
Adz 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:41 pm

If Beams is unable to perform his duties then we have the right to terminate the contact. He can take us to fair work if he wants.
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:37 am

Not a bad OP. Possibly a little harsh. Just remember this year wasn't a year to thrive for all players. It would make no difference to some, and a lot to others.

Agree too many holes in the list . Midfield that is considered so strong just loses that battle too often. So we need reinforcements in what was our strength.

Need a backwards step next year by retiring some players, clean out and invest in the draft.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:20 am

I'd like to see the pies stick with Lynch - he might not be flash but he shows intent and that scores high with me. He doesn't look like a downhill skier
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 am

I'd also mention that I think the role the guys play makes a big difference on their performance. Crisp and Phillips bear the brunt of the running in the team - lactic acid and fatigue will lead to errors on occasion - if Rantall is a runner we may see better years from Phillips and Crispy.
My one worry is Elliot in the centre for prolonged periods - he has had hammies before and if Adams gets hurt we will need Sier and Wills. I'd prefer Elliot to be making cameos only.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:49 am

We are a little bit in no mans land.
We have the oldest list in the comp and no obvious replacements yet for Pendles, Howe, Sidey, Roughead, Treloar.

Could be dark times ahead.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 am

This is a cruel thing to have to say given how magnificent both Greenwood and Mayne were in the elimination final against West Coast, but football is a ruthless sport and ruthless decisions are called for if you want to win premierships. Both the two should be retired in my view. Greenwood doesn't have a contract. Mayne has one but I would pay him out with reduced lists next year. Also retire Beams. Trade Phillips, Scharenberg and Sier and delist Wills, Dunn and Lynch. That frees up valuable salary cap space and should meet the reduced lists without having to delist anybody else. We may even be able to trade for a single player (Ben Brown, Jeremy Cameron or Peter Wright?).
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:07 pm

I like Noble, but the cats deliberately isolated him on taller bigger targets who easily out marked him. They outplayed our backline who should have woken up to it
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
I like Noble, but the cats deliberately isolated him on taller bigger targets who easily out marked him. They outplayed our backline who should have woken up to it

There was so much going wrong in that horrible game I wouldn't isolate one player. Marking wasn't contested, balls weren't won, transition was slow.
That game was the perfect example of 'you learn from your losses' We beat the cats early in the year and people were overconfident. The Cats learnt from the previous encounter and spanked us because of that.
Noble will be good for us, his run and kicking will be a good weapon in years to come. He and IQ could become great mainstays.
I know where your coming from - my wife said the same thing.

ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:53 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
We have way too many gaps for a serious shot at 2021. Am worried Buckley will go for broke and bring in top up players in a hope to save his coaching career.

All that will do is clog our list in 2022 making is harder for a rebuild.

I hope he does an MM - added Ball and Jolly and got the flag.

FFS - we all want a flag, you just don't want Bucks to get one.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
OP harsh on Keane - his debut really wasn’t that bad apart from 1 horrible turnover which seems to be the only thing some people remember - and also Madgen who apart from a bad game yesterday- had plenty of company there- is easily our “most improved” player

only people who haven't seen Keanes JLT games bag him
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: