Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Midfield rebuild - 2022 and beyond.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:24 pm
Post subject: The Midfield rebuild - 2022 and beyond.Reply with quote

There’s a lot of pessimism at the moment and while I understand the angst, it’s important to realise a lot can change in the space of 18 months.
I’ve seen enough, even if it’s only media talk for now, to know there are T P P issues at Collingwood. I’m fairly confident this is the year we will do our T P P corrections and invest heavily in the draft.
Now fast forward to end of 2021 where we need to prepare for life after Pendlebury and Sidey and the heavy lifting needs to kick off at the draft in a few weeks time.

The other opportunity that will hopefully open up at the end of 2021 are the quality R F As available for consideration. I have also excluded F As because there isn’t as much footy left in them.
2021 R F As include Bont, J Kelly, Sheed 😂, Merrett, Cripps, M Couch and Parker as quality mids still with plenty of footy in them ( albeit some more banged up than others )
Some are upgrades on Treloar and some are different types to Treloar but I’m at least encouraged that if we do initiate a salary dump in 2020, then we should be in the R F A market once again at the end of 2021.
Note that quality key forwards are slim pickings with Taberner being the best of the litter.

In short and quite realistically, the potential is there to rejuvenate our midfield quickly by the start of 2022 with a decent midfield succession plan that no longer includes Sidey or Pendles.
We should start the reboot at the 2020 draft with one midfielder inside the top 10 ( Hollands would be my choice from a limited sample. He’s also a natural leader ) and then McInnes. Both are big boys, hard at it and success driven.

By the start of the 2022 season, it’s not a stretch to see us with a mid field group that includes Adams, one of the above R F As and a rotation of our two quality 2020 first round picks. We would also likely have plan B midfield cameos from the likes of both Daicos’s, both Browns and Crisp if required.
I’ve said it before that clubs plan at least 2 years in advance when they feel its time for a change of tact.
Collingwood has signalled they recognise its time for change. All that’s left, is to get it right 😬
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post mate
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:53 pm

I dont even want to think about life after Pendles. Surly the world ends the day he retires.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:40 pm
Post subject: Re: The Midfield rebuild - 2022 and beyond.Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
There’s a lot of pessimism at the moment and while I understand the angst, it’s important to realise a lot can change in the space of 18 months.
I’ve seen enough, even if it’s only media talk for now, to know there are T P P issues at Collingwood. I’m fairly confident this is the year we will do our T P P corrections and invest heavily in the draft.
Now fast forward to end of 2021 where we need to prepare for life after Pendlebury and Sidey and the heavy lifting needs to kick off at the draft in a few weeks time.

The other opportunity that will hopefully open up at the end of 2021 are the quality R F As available for consideration. I have also excluded F As because there isn’t as much footy left in them.
2021 R F As include Bont, J Kelly, Sheed 😂, Merrett, Cripps, M Couch and Parker as quality mids still with plenty of footy in them ( albeit some more banged up than others )
Some are upgrades on Treloar and some are different types to Treloar but I’m at least encouraged that if we do initiate a salary dump in 2020, then we should be in the R F A market once again at the end of 2021.
Note that quality key forwards are slim pickings with Taberner being the best of the litter.

In short and quite realistically, the potential is there to rejuvenate our midfield quickly by the start of 2022 with a decent midfield succession plan that no longer includes Sidey or Pendles.
We should start the reboot at the 2020 draft with one midfielder inside the top 10 ( Hollands would be my choice from a limited sample. He’s also a natural leader ) and then McInnes. Both are big boys, hard at it and success driven.

By the start of the 2022 season, it’s not a stretch to see us with a mid field group that includes Adams, one of the above R F As and a rotation of our two quality 2020 first round picks. We would also likely have plan B midfield cameos from the likes of both Daicos’s, both Browns and Crisp if required.
I’ve said it before that clubs plan at least 2 years in advance when they feel its time for a change of tact.
Collingwood has signalled they recognise its time for change. All that’s left, is to get it right 😬

I’d be flabbergasted if any of those players left their current clubs. Possibly Kelly though i thought he signed a long term deal last year

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:59 pm

I have an opinion for what it’s worth that somewhere down the track if they when he has more game time to give IQ a mid field opportunity

He has one attribute that would be a plus—his ball use is brilliant even as a young player

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:00 am

BazBoy wrote:
I have an opinion for what it’s worth that somewhere down the track if they when he has more game time to give IQ a mid field opportunity

He has one attribute that would be a plus—his ball use is brilliant even as a young player

Not going to happen. You play guys where they have the most impact and Maynard and Quaynor are natural defenders. The guys who play as mids have spent most of their junior careers as mids, Pendles and Bontempeli the exemptions. Sometimes you go the other way with guys like Crisp going from the middle into defense.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:55 am

Presti35 wrote:
I dont even want to think about life after Pendles. Surly the world ends the day he retires.

This is why I’m super keen on getting Zach Merrett
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:10 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

This is why I’m super keen on getting Zach Merrett

Zach Merrett on his best day is not equal to Pendles on his worst

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
2021 R F As include Bont, J Kelly, Sheed 😂, Merrett, Cripps, M Couch and Parker

That's quite a class. Shocked

Bont would be content with his flag and happy to remain at the Dogs. Sheed too with WCE. Kelly will be one that may want out after the GWS window is closed and everyone is already jumping ship there. Merrett is gettable now, but some would think it wise to wait a year rather than trade now. Cripps will likely stay with the Blues and Couch and Parker, although good players, are not in the class of the others listed.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
2021 R F As include Bont, J Kelly, Sheed 😂, Merrett, Cripps, M Couch and Parker

That's quite a class. Shocked

Bont would be content with his flag and happy to remain at the Dogs. Sheed too with WCE. Kelly will be one that may want out after the GWS window is closed and everyone is already jumping ship there. Merrett is gettable now, but some would think it wise to wait a year rather than trade now. Cripps will likely stay with the Blues and Couch and Parker, although good players, are not in the class of the others listed.

I agree the challenge to pry one out is significant but there’s a salary dump ( media driven at this stage ) going on for a reason and when it comes to attracting quality players, the plan is usually 12 months in the making.
If Blues don’t make the eight next year, I wouldn’t rule out Cripps.
Of course there are others on the R F A list next year also but I put the major players in for comparison. Who knows, maybe Taberner is the target ( unlikely )
We only have to go back a couple days and did anyone really think Smith was leaving the Hawks for the Cats. All you can do is keep your irons in the fire.
DT 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Spot on with the topic.

I think Nick Daicos will also play midfield but we are now looking 4 years ahead.

This midfield has failed us at the crunch stages over the last three years.

The missing piece could be De Goey if he ever steps up - but that is a big unknown.

I think it is good the club has admitted its errors in recruiting and lost management and is now willing to do a mini rebuild.

I doubt we play finals next year as a result.

The other midfield conundrum is Sier - if he steps up we may be ok.

I think we need to grow our own rather than import and I am pleased if we recruit two top mids this year.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:55 pm

our midfield in the last 2 years has been dissapointing. everyone in the football world where saying it was the best in the league

Dont forget Grundy is a midfielder as well...and i suspect beams was that final push top up to step the midfield up a gear...

at the time our forwardline looked dangerous and our backline finally getting in sync, last year and this year where prime times for a Premiership.

a big bodied midfielder like Sier was expected to take the next step as well, but both him and Beams fail to play football, and Wills also being out of form/favour really kicked our asses

2020 with shorter Quarters really did bring the field closer, as fitness levels where not tested as heavily in players as previous years.

Our cardio beasts like Sidebottom and Grundy where not as influential as we expect.

BUT...do we change course just for one year? if next year is going to be back to normal with Game length? Or will the shorten club lists affect this as well?

how the F are clubs suppose to do list management without a List total? AFAIK the AFL still have not confirmed list numbers for 2021 season..

WTF

Even though someone won the Premiership this year, the rest of the year is almost completely useless. Fitness levels in a golf course gym?
some players maybe going backwards in conditioning this season.

It was a "Gap" year for lack of a better word, and could take 2 pre-seasons of fitness to get back to normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: