Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Operation Draft a FWD

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
If we're able to trade up and give ourselves a shot at Logan McDonald, that would be a great result.

If we cannot get McDonald (He'll be gone by pick 3), and we can still manage a top ten pick and get someone like Will Phillips, that would also be a great outcome.

If we can hold onto one of our teen picks, there's a guy by the name of Nik Cox. He is a 200cm Key Forward and Defender. He is projected to go around pick 15. He'd be one to target I think.

Getting both McDonald and Cox would be massive. Getting Phillips and Cox would be fkn great too.

So I'm hoping we can trade a future first and one of 14/16 to get into the top 10 and as close to top 5 as possible. That gives us a shot at Phillips and Cox. Getting pick 2 or 3 gives us a chance at getting McDonald, but dont know if those teams will trade it.

Imagine having two big Cox at once.

While I accept there’s nothing like having two big Cox, I would keep an eye on Zac Reid in all this. 200cm and will probably be the next tall ( after the top 4 ) to fall at around # 10ish.
I’ve had a look at Twomeys list and there will be 3 / 4 N G A selections ( and taking out the G C S pre zone selections which Twomey put in ) before he expects McInnes to be called at # 19ish.
That’s messy because our pick 16 becomes either 19 or 20 on the night ( because of those 3 / 4 N G A selections ) which is right where McInnes is expected to go.
For that reason, I expect our pick 16 will be turned into something else so as to avoid a possible “ undesirable “ outcome.
I can see us bundling up the future first rounder with # 16 and turning them into a top 10 pick and maybe keeping #14.
That would give us something likely between #8 - 10 ( ? ) # 14 and presumably McInnes.
Ive moved on from Hollands and McDonald already but three top 20 selections in a very solid draft is a good start.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks Pies2016. I also think McDonald is out of reach now.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Post subject: Re: Operation Draft a FWDReply with quote

Haff wrote:
So the question is, is 14,16 and next seasons 1st, worth say Pick 2 to get Logan McDonald?

Technically yes, realistically no.

Pick 14 1,161
Pick 16 1,067

Our next seasons' 1st Pick? Pick 5 is worth 1,878 points, Pick 22 845.
Your guess is as good as mine where we finish. So let's call it 3,500 points. More than enough to ask the question re Pick 2 worth 2,517 points.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:55 am

North have stated that pick 2 is up for grabs, they need players and the more high picks the better. We have a real shot here. Main challenger will be Essendon when their 3 consecutive picks. Hopefully they have their eyes on a few players and not a specific player like we do.
Personally, we offer up pick 14 and next years 1st. If that doesn’t get the job done we can’t offer all 3 first rounders with this and next years 2nds coming back. Without doing the math that sounds ok to me given we should be able to get Daics and the other kid this season with second rounders.

robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:22 pm

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/talent-to-burn-which-afl-stars-could-be-free-agents-in-2021/news-story/d356abde6cfa51e108adf0c8a80b6f9d

Collingwood has flagged it’ll be a big player in next year’s free agency market, which could, for the first time, include Carlton superstar Patrick Cripps and Western Bulldogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:56 pm

^pay wall.
My mail has been Petracca but not sure when he is a RFA. The Bont ad a direct replacement for Pendles wouldn’t be a bad thing!

Doug44 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:15 pm

I don't think there's any chance that Bont would leave the Bulldogs. Unless they were nowhere near with their offer, which I doubt they'd be. He strikes me as a loyal person.

Likewise Cripps, I can't see him leaving Carlton unless it was to go back to WA.

Furthermore, I think GWS might have set a precedent with Cameron, which I'm surprised has taken this long. I think it's unlikely we'll see a big name restricted free agent leave without the club matching the contract offer, purely to force a trade. The only way that wouldn't happen would be if the club would be forced to go over their cap should the player end up staying.

So if we're banking on bringing in a free agent in 12 months, we might need to be prepared to trade. Petracca and De Goey in the same team would be nice though.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:15 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
If we're able to trade up and give ourselves a shot at Logan McDonald, that would be a great result.

If we cannot get McDonald (He'll be gone by pick 3), and we can still manage a top ten pick and get someone like Will Phillips, that would also be a great outcome.

If we can hold onto one of our teen picks, there's a guy by the name of Nik Cox. He is a 200cm Key Forward and Defender. He is projected to go around pick 15. He'd be one to target I think.

Getting both McDonald and Cox would be massive. Getting Phillips and Cox would be fkn great too.

So I'm hoping we can trade a future first and one of 14/16 to get into the top 10 and as close to top 5 as possible. That gives us a shot at Phillips and Cox. Getting pick 2 or 3 gives us a chance at getting McDonald, but dont know if those teams will trade it.

Imagine having two big Cox at once.

While I accept there’s nothing like having two big Cox, I would keep an eye on Zac Reid in all this. 200cm and will probably be the next tall ( after the top 4 ) to fall at around # 10ish.
I’ve had a look at Twomeys list and there will be 3 / 4 N G A selections ( and taking out the G C S pre zone selections which Twomey put in ) before he expects McInnes to be called at # 19ish.
That’s messy because our pick 16 becomes either 19 or 20 on the night ( because of those 3 / 4 N G A selections ) which is right where McInnes is expected to go.
For that reason, I expect our pick 16 will be turned into something else so as to avoid a possible “ undesirable “ outcome.
I can see us bundling up the future first rounder with # 16 and turning them into a top 10 pick and maybe keeping #14.
That would give us something likely between #8 - 10 ( ? ) # 14 and presumably McInnes.
Ive moved on from Hollands and McDonald already but three top 20 selections in a very solid draft is a good start.

A friend of mine went to school with Nick Cox. He reckons he's a terrific kid, a wonderful athlete and definitely has leadership qualities. At 200 cms he's a bit skinny, but has been using the lockdown to beef up muscle-wise.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:52 pm

I imagine a few younger players were.
ASADA drug testing wasn't an essential industry was it?
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm

deleted
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Petracca is contracted for two more seasons. We can't get him as a free agent - would have to be a trade.

My bet - Zach Merrett
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:30 pm

and.. if we are considering trying to land pick 2 (for 14, 16 and next years 1st rounder) - this is what we would have given up from the start of the trade period:

Picks 16, 39, 42 and future 1st round pick
Treloar, Stephenson and Atu

To me that is overs for an untried kid at pick #2
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:38 pm

I have this real bad feeling they’ll end up drafting more midfielders and flankers and then spin more BS about taking best available.

I know it may not mean much but Cal Twomeys phantom guide doesn’t list many key forwards between 10-20.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:09 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
woods_the_best wrote:
Pick 14 + 16 is worth a total of 2228 points
Pick 2 is worth 2517.

If say for instance god help us we finish 15th that's worth 2034 points.

So 2228+2034-2517 we have surplus of essentially pick 6 - 1745 points.

No thanks, but the thinking is right...

I get that but the Suns are opening to trading pick 5 so the points equation from 14&16 is about fair I reckon and maybe we owe them a favour down the line
Then pick 5 with future 2nd rounder from Dogs for Treloar gets us to pick #2 this year and we maintain our 1st & 2nd round picks in 2021
My logic is we have to get something from this debacle
My concern is every club now knows we are desperate and might like to kick us while we are down

Wont happen, the future second rounder is needed for N.Diacos. 14, 16 and next years first is all Collingwood will offer up.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:39 pm

I'm not expecting this trade to eventuate but if you're looking for an example of how we try and improve our draft hand in a different strategy to selling the farm for one player at pick 2 then read on.

Collingwood retain: Pick 16
Collingwood gain: Pick 10, Pick 20, Pick 29, 2021 3rd round selection (all GWS)
Collingwood lose: Pick 14, 2021 1st round selection, 2021 2nd round selection (as we have two we are able to trade one!)

Whether we'd need to exchange future selections beyond round 1 to get a deal done or whether we could exchange pick 16 for 13/15 in the process of this deal are the finer details that can only be haggled over by the list managers. What I will say is that I hate seeing embarrassingly one sided trade suggestions and something of value would need to be on offer for GWS to entertain sliding back their earliest pick and I'm not convinced that our future 1st on it's own would be accepted for an end of 1st round and mid 2nd round selection.

My first point of thinking with any trade scenario is ending up with a pick that should see it falling prior to a bid on Reef eventuating and one that is also low enough to still be in the mix for that next best key position player after the likes of McDonald, Thilthorpe and Grainger-Barras are gone.

Someone like Reid or Cox.

After that it's about extracting value knowing a bid for Reef is expected to eventuate around the 15 to 25 range.

If it comes after pick 10 but prior to 16 then with our discount it should still see a situation where we have 1 selection remaining that falls at the very end of the 1st round. If it comes after pick 16 but prior to pick 20 then we'd still be left with a second round selection which in itself may have improved slightly from 29 owing to other clubs using picks to match bids before us. In all scenarios Reef is paid for and no points deficit will be carried over.

Hine was on radio earlier in the year and he appeared quite positive about the quality of the top 30 prospects available so having a selection remaining in the 2nd round and after the expected bid for Reef might appeal to him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: