Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rules of the Draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:54 am
Post subject: Rules of the DraftReply with quote

I don't pretend to understand the rules of the draft so my question may be only a display of my ignorance. I know that a player who is in the draft must agree to go to whichever club drafts him. However, if a player wants to play for one particular club can he decline to participate in the draft and simply make a private arrangement with his preferred club (subject to the salary cap and any restrictions on player numbers)?
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - and the player would likely be banned from being drafted for a couple of years, and then have to resubmit to normal draft anyway.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:39 am

You must nominate for the draft to be eligible to be picked.
Part of that paperwork basically says you’re obligated to go to whoever selects you ( paraphrasing )
You’re best chance of getting to your preferred club is to dress like a clown and act like a dick during the interviews of all clubs you don’t want to be a part of.
Still won’t help but at least you feel like you had a crack.
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:09 pm
Post subject: Rules of the DraftReply with quote

I'm not suggesting that a player might enter the draft intending to go to one particular club. I'm trying to see if there is any rule (and, if so, where) that forbids clubs to bypass the draft and simply recruit a young player from another (non-AFL club) or from a school or off the street. . If there is any such rule the wording of it, and its legal status, might be interesting.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:36 pm

The only way a player can join a club is via one of the Drafts.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:37 pm
Post subject: Re: Rules of the DraftReply with quote

Redcraze wrote:
I'm not suggesting that a player might enter the draft intending to go to one particular club. I'm trying to see if there is any rule (and, if so, where) that forbids clubs to bypass the draft and simply recruit a young player from another (non-AFL club) or from a school or off the street. . If there is any such rule the wording of it, and its legal status, might be interesting.

If you have a rule describing the only ways in which a player can be added to a list you do not require a rule specifying that you cannot do it by other means.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:11 pm

The exception being maybe Cat-B rookies from other sports, but they cannot have played AFL since being a schoolkid or some-such.
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:03 pm
Post subject: Re: Rules of the DraftReply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Redcraze wrote:

If you have a rule describing the only ways in which a player can be added to a list you do not require a rule specifying that you cannot do it by other means.
So there is a rule somewhere (Where? What's its legal status?) saying to clubs: "You are forbidden from recruiting outside our draft processes"? If that is s, my deeply-held belief that the national competition is the worst thing that ever happened to football is confirmed. Not that it needs any confirmation.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Not so secret:

4.2 Eligibility and Requirements for Registration
No person shall be registered or be entitled to be registered with the AFL as a Player with a Club unless he was eligible to be and has been drafted onto or included on a Club’s List...

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL-Rules-June-2017.PDF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: