Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

5 rounds in - player performances

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:34 am
Post subject: 5 rounds in - player performancesReply with quote

OK, no game this weekend, so let's evaluate the players performance over rounds 0 - 4.
Who’s improved in 2024, who’s declined and whose performance is about the same.

Improved: Cameron and Frampton
Steady: DeGoey, Jaicos, Noble, Mitchell, Elliot, IQ, Lipinski, Maynard, Checkers, Naicos
Declined: Howe, WHE, Sidey, Crisp, Hill, Moore, McCreery, Cox, Pendles, Markov

So there's a mixture of declined performance across the whole ground, which probably goes a long way to explain our patchy form. A common denominator of the declining cohort is age. As Shawthing said, Father Time is undefeated.

I think Cameron has been outstanding, and Frampton has filled the role as our best KP backman.

Last edited by What'sinaname on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the premise, but I'd quibble with some of the categorisations. I think Crisp is back to close to his best after a poor first three rounds, and McCreery has been in great form and might even belong in the 'improved' category (as much as he had an ordinary night yesterday). Hoskin-Elliott is steady too.

Josh Daicos and De Goey are players I might actually have in the "declined" category, though both have improved in the past couple of weeks.

Agreed about Cameron and Frampton both standing up though. It's certainly a pity that it's hard to find others who've stepped up to a new level this year. Teams always need that if they're going to be able to contend.

The biggest improvement needs to be coming from players in the 21–25 age range like Lipinski, Josh Daicos, Quaynor, Hill, McCreery, Macrae and McInnes, along with those who haven't broken into the team yet this year like Carmichael, Begg and Harrison. If not, we're going to be over-reliant on our older players, and we've already seen how well that's been going for us.

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:04 am

I’d say Noble has improved.

Is in the first team now and has brought the attitude that a lot of our players have been missing.

In the last two games has been ranked:
- 5th best Pie vs Brisbane (DT points)
- 6th best Pie vs Hawthorn (DT points)

Was brilliant in the first half yesterday.

Craigmac 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:15 pm

Question needs to be asked around the role of McCreery. Rarely gets more than 10 possesions, seems to be in the side just for tackling pressure. Below Average on kicks and Disposals.
In my opinion, for a guy with 65 games under his belt he needs add more value and have more to his role. Could he play in defence providing run off HB like Noble. Possibly free up IQ to play on the wing or in the middle for size.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:06 pm

^^ @David
Fair enough, but I can't agree McCreery being in the improved list. He is either below average or average in most of the stats. The exception is tackles / pressure acts.
We already carry a one-directional player in Mason Cox. We can't be carrying two of them - that's close to 10% of the players on the ground.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:18 pm

In the absence of a top three draft pick (to trade for a seasoned key forward) and the almost certainty that McStay won't be back this season, we must look within.
This will require enormous improvement/development in one of the following:
Begg 197cm
Eyre 199cm
Krueger 196cm
Steene. 201cm

If Krueger can stay upright (not knock himself or others out whilst flying for marks) he probably is 'The Man'.
Nothing he has shown yet in terms of durability fills me with confidence however, he is a wrecking ball with his attack on the ball...
Another poster indicated that he may play against Port if he gets through the VFL next Saturday.
His improvement would be critical to cover up one of our glaring inadequacies in attack.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:17 pm

Time to refresh and re-set:
Ins:
* Joe Richards for McCreery
* Ed Allan for rotating out: Mitchell, Pendles, Steele
* Begg for Cox for 3-4 matches. And angry and non-complacent Cox is better than a comfortable Cox
* DiMattia in second half of year when fit
* Harrison in for Lipinski for 3-4 weeks plus giving Elliott a rest every 5 weeks.
* Hopefully Murphy can find his way back
* Reward Sullivan, Kreuger and Bytel where appropriate

Obviously not all at once but selection pressure is everything and keeping an influx of fresh faces keeps the club honest.

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:03 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^^ @David

Fair enough, but I can't agree McCreery being in the improved list. He is either below average or average in most of the stats. The exception is tackles / pressure acts.

We already carry a one-directional player in Mason Cox. We can't be carrying two of them - that's close to 10% of the players on the ground.

McCreery is also one of the worst offenders for spraying wild high bombs into the forward line. These kicks give our forwards little chance to gain possession. He loves a big goal but too often just sprays the goals and kicks more points than goals as a result (his recent two goal haul was his best effort in recent times). I accept he is often steaming in at full speed but he needs to learn to lower his eyes and look for options, rather than launching a low percentage bomb.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:08 pm

Frampton has gone to a new level. If he can sustain that output going forward, he would likely solve our last line key defender role for the next few years to come. Consistency hasn’t been his one wood but the signs are at least positive after the first few rounds.
It feels like McInnes has improved “ organically “ on last year. It’s not necessarily reflected on his scoring output but he’s getting involved in the play and as he continues to get stronger and understands the position better, he should settle into a mobile option up forward.
Cameron has played at this level before, so the challenge is to maintain the rage for an extended period.
Special mention to Johnny Noble. He has improved on his previous best with every new pre season. It’s a credit to his professionalism and drive just how much he has squeezed out of himself since being a mid season selection.
That’s about it for mine.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:29 pm

One further area for improvement:
We need to address also our long running inability to stop opposition small forwards. Hawthorn got 8 goals out of three small forwards yesterday. Fly prefers attacking backmen but this vulnerability bites us time and time again. Running attacking back flankers etc are all very well but if their defensive skills are lacking when needed, they are next to worthless. We need a small forward stopper.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:09 am

Highest-ranked pressure game by any Club so far in 2024. Last week against Brisbane was also in the top 5 for the year so far. Not everything is clicking - but they're getting back the key ingredient of their success in 2022/2023.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:49 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Frampton has gone to a new level. If he can sustain that output going forward, he would likely solve our last line key defender role for the next few years to come. Consistency hasn’t been his one wood but the signs are at least positive after the first few rounds.

From where he is now, he should be able to craft a career similar to say Roughead, Barrass, Liam Jones etc which would fill our needs pretty well while Darcy Moore is still in the team. Its Howe we will want to replace next.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 am

Anyone noticed our incessant fumbling and lack of ball handling skills that when incurred, immediately results in a clearance to the opposition. Chief offenders of this include:
* McCreery
* Mitchell
* Sidebottom
* Pendles: yes in 2024 he looks like he is handling a cake of soap
* DeGoey
* Crisp
* Lipinski

What do they have in common? 90% are our midfielders. Improvement urgently required.

Josh Daicos NEVER fumbles! Take heed.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:44 pm

I notice that they leave the ball behind and too much of a rush or running without getting the ball.
McCreery Side and Mitchell kind of need to get ball first.
To many sloppy turn overs ATM.
Slow with the ball too.
Needs to sharpen it with the ball as well.
Short and sharp kicks are the key then these un needed long bombs to the opposition.
Bring back the short and sharpness to our game alot more and we will be fine.
I think McCreery is one poor game from been dropped to the vfl TBH.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:27 pm

^the thread is about Who's improved in 2024, who's declined and who's performance is about the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: