Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 111, 112, 113  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call inxs.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:00 am

I haven't seen enough of Ginnivan yet to get a clear idea of the type of player he is or will be.

Even though they're similar body types, my initial reaction is that Breust is more of a hit up medium sized forward, whereas Ginnivan is more your forward/midfield type who wins his own ball and is better at ground level.

Breust and Jack Gunston seem more alike to me.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:46 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Perhaps you could elaborate on their similarities other than height and being forwards?

Not saying I agree with it but I have heard some criticism of Ginnivan that he draws frees by dropping his knees (from oppo fans, naturally)

His junior scouting reports had him as drawing free kicks as early as U16s. It’s a skill and it’s a good one as a deep forward because you then get your time to prepare for your shot on goal. He’s always been a natural forward and that goes back to kicking 100 goals in the U9s ( Vic country. Castlemaine, I think, where his dad was a country football legend )
I reckon he will improve dramatically under Fly because the coach was also a similar type. It’s just the way it is in footy, coaches generally gravitate to those types who played similarly to way they did. Gininivan is more your one dimensional stay at home type and doesn’t get sucked up the ground like a lot of small forwards do. His positioning in the right places is another reason why he understands forward craft better than most. Best of all, he doesn’t need much of the footy, to make a scoreboard impact.
I think Breust ( and Fly ) are much more rounded players but they all have / had very similar “ goal sense “. This kid is a real find, providing he stays focussed and continues to work hard.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:54 pm

I think he kicks straight, if two free kicks a game gives you 2 goals, that is forty goals a year
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:30 pm

The Great One Peter Daicos was such a valuable player around goals and with 99 goals in 1990 was a huge influence on our flag win

Crafty forwards can influence a game,abiet a season—too early to label Jack just yet so let’s hope his impact as years roll on are flag impacts

And I would add that if Mason can get game time in forward line there could be a fair bit of ball spillage for Jack to make use of

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Stephen Milne ? ( another rookie pick )
Old fashioned stay at home small forward who never left the goal square. The ultimate one trick pony who finished his career with a 2 goal a game average.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:39 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Stephen Milne ? ( another rookie pick )
Old fashioned stay at home small forward who never left the goal square. The ultimate one trick pony who finished his career with a 2 goal a game average.

Good call. Jack looks like he can be a 2-3 goal a week player from 12 possessions. Hopefully he can add team play this repertoire.

Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 am

BazBoy wrote:
The Great One Peter Daicos was such a valuable player around goals and with 99 goals in 1990 was a huge influence on our flag win

From memory it was 97. Went into the grand final on 95 and kicked 2. Also missed a couple of games at the start of the season due to 'rough conduct' suspension.

Has any other small forward had a better season return? Maybe Lethal?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:29 am

Yes stand corrected on Daicos

Barney played 332 games at Hawks for 915 goals

That’s 2.75 goals a game

Not sure what Betts and Milne achieved

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:38 am

Uncle Jack wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

From memory it was 97. Went into the grand final on 95 and kicked 2. Also missed a couple of games at the start of the season due to 'rough conduct' suspension.

Has any other small forward had a better season return? Maybe Lethal?

Goal wise no. Leigh's best effort was 91 goals in a season, which was a record for a non-full forward until Daics kicked 97.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:47 am

Annoying as he was, Breust was a weapon and one of those types I always thought we needed. If Ginnivan turns out nearly as good, I'll take it
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:58 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Perhaps you could elaborate on their similarities other than height and being forwards?

Not saying I agree with it but I have heard some criticism of Ginnivan that he draws frees by dropping his knees (from oppo fans, naturally)

In the 5 games that he's played? Suspect most opposition fans wouldn't know who he is.

He's still very young, just scraping into the rookie draft age cut-off by 12 days when we picked him up in 2020 as a 17 y/o, before debuting as a 18 y/o in 2021.

Still, I digress. Comparisons to Luke Breust? Well Breust was also a Rookie Draftee, kicks the ball really well and has natural goal sense. I see similarities where like Breust, even with a handful of games at the same age, things happen when he's around the footy.

It's yet to be seen if he gets a "Breust" or "Tooves" like cheer from the outer, but it'd great for that to come back for one of our boys in one form or another.
Maybe "shhhh" as Nick 'Whisper' Daicos gets the ball.

Ginnivan made headlines as a junior when he kicked 119 goals in a season so he knows where the sticks are. If he starts going bunta in front of the big sticks, he'll be a cult hero before long. Hopefully he has Breust / Crisp like durability.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:03 pm

Apart from goal sense he has “crowd” sense

He has a flare at his craft

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:58 pm

A good comparison.

Both players have a natural ability to apply scoreboard pressure frequently.

Ginnivan's only five games into his career, but the signs are promising.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:17 pm

Cheers Jezza. Great to have a regular 40+ year goal kicker in the side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 111, 112, 113  Next
Page 2 of 113   

Jump to: