Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112, 113  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Look, people feel the way they feel, but at the end of the day this was a business transaction. Someone left one employer for another with the blessing of the former employer who made no effort to keep them.

Getting angry about it and assassinating his character isn't helpful or healthy. Let it go, it's done.

He is, was and always will be a Collingwood Premiership player. He's moved on, so should supporters.

I think there is nothing wrong with constructive debate around what constitutes a quality small forward. Helps to educate everyone myself included.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:50 pm

David wrote:
Woewodin had 13 disposals in the 2003 grand final (9 kicks, 4 handballs). Apart from Derek Shaw in 1979, the only other two Collingwood players who’ve recorded 0 disposals in a grand final since the interchange system was brought in were Ross Brewer in 1981 and Leon Davis in 2002.

Here are the lowest total disposal tallies by Collingwood players in grand finals since 1978:

4: Ricky Barham (1980), Jason Cloke, Ben Kinnear, Ryan Lonie (2003), Alex Fasolo* (2011), Nathan Murphy** (2023)
3: Denis Banks (1979), Jarryd Blair** (2011)
2: Ian Low (1980), Carl Steinfort (2002), Matthew Lokan (2003), Billy Frampton (2023)
1: Jarrod Molloy (2002), Tristen Walker (2003)
0: Derek Shaw (1979), Ross Brewer (1981), Leon Davis (2002)

*starting sub
**subbed off

Thanks, much appreciated but they are such sad stats 😓🥲 What a double disaster it was in 2003 with 3 players having 4 or less possessions and the Brians winning consecutive GF’s 😭

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:02 pm

SwansWay wrote:
Lots of false equivalences here. You created an arbitrary 6 kick stat (because Jack had six kicks in the GF) to make a point claiming balance. So are you really looking at a stat sheet and ignoring all the additional metrics and 1%ers? I mean when you are listing defenders who are stoppers to help illustrate your point, I think you are grasping at straws. Yet oddly enough you bagged the crap out of the idea of us recruiting Tom Mitchell last year because according to you he was a spud. So if Tom’s useless possessions were worthless to you (at Hawthorn), based on your stat sheet logic, crude possession numbers either matter or they don’t. So the player you mocked was the difference between us winning a premiership or falling short with our bleeding at centre clearances or wasn’t he? Wait you mocked Tom and Bobby early on. You’re on a roll Wink

Anyhoo, I know you were a fan of Jack’s but maybe it’s time to let it go now that we let him go. Two years running, we recruited two upgrades on Jack which is a clear message from the club of the level they wanted from him. If they wanted Jack he would’ve stayed.

I'm just sick of the arseholes who want to pretend that somehow Jack didn't "deserve" his flag. Your response is confused and indicates that you do not understand my perspective, at all - despite me setting it out repeatedly.

Let me have another go. I am happy with the Club's call. I just don't think there's any warrant for the disgusting character assassination. Jack is a Collingwood premiership player, now he's gone. Suggesting that some of the great chokers of the past deserve a premiership medal more than him - even though they couldn't get it done when it mattered - is deeply disappointing.
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:26 am

Totally agree. Always enjoyed watching him play, and he was exciting to watch on the paddock. I'll miss him in the black and white.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:33 am

stui magpie wrote:
Look, people feel the way they feel, but at the end of the day this was a business transaction. Someone left one employer for another with the blessing of the former employer who made no effort to keep them.

Getting angry about it and assassinating his character isn't helpful or healthy. Let it go, it's done.

He is, was and always will be a Collingwood Premiership player. He's moved on, so should supporters.

OK, but in all my years of following footy, I can never , ever recall, a Premiership player, departing his Club, a mere two weeks after playing in a Premiership side for that club, never heard it before. If you can recall one, please enlighten me Stui, cos I believe there never has been one,in history. Confused Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:40 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Kingsofclutch wrote:

With his speed he'd have to become a Medhurst type forward and I don't think he has the marking ability, deffo isn't becoming a defensive mid like he said.

Speed, what speed? Speed isn't really Ginni's asset. If anything, he'd be more like a James Hird and use his football nous to create goals. But he does need to improve his marking ability.

With all due respect, dont think Id be using Jack and James Hird in the same comparison, Hird was an out an out utter champion, a fantastic Captain, brilliant player, Jack cannot be remotely compared to Hird. Shocked

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 am

Piesnchess wrote:
OK, but in all my years of following footy, I can never , ever recall, a Premiership player, departing his Club, a mere two weeks after playing in a Premiership side for that club, never heard it before. If you can recall one, please enlighten me Stui, cos I believe there never has been one,in history. Confused Confused

Buddy, Brandon Ellis, Lycett, Suckling, Luke Jackson, Mark LeCras...
jayaykay 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:45 am

lazzadesilva wrote:
David wrote:
Woewodin had 13 disposals in the 2003 grand final (9 kicks, 4 handballs). Apart from Derek Shaw in 1979, the only other two Collingwood players who’ve recorded 0 disposals in a grand final since the interchange system was brought in were Ross Brewer in 1981 and Leon Davis in 2002.

Here are the lowest total disposal tallies by Collingwood players in grand finals since 1978:

4: Ricky Barham (1980), Jason Cloke, Ben Kinnear, Ryan Lonie (2003), Alex Fasolo* (2011), Nathan Murphy** (2023)
3: Denis Banks (1979), Jarryd Blair** (2011)
2: Ian Low (1980), Carl Steinfort (2002), Matthew Lokan (2003), Billy Frampton (2023)
1: Jarrod Molloy (2002), Tristen Walker (2003)
0: Derek Shaw (1979), Ross Brewer (1981), Leon Davis (2002)

*starting sub
**subbed off

Thanks, much appreciated but they are such sad stats 😓🥲 What a double disaster it was in 2003 with 3 players having 4 or less possessions and the Brians winning consecutive GF’s 😭

It's actually 5 players if you look down the list. No wonder we were hopelessly thrashed if 1/4 of your team hardly contribute. Embarassed

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:23 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

See - it's never happened. Embarassed
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:44 am

You could add Joel Hamling to that list too who only played because the Bulldogs were ravaged by some injuries in defence from memory. Usually when it does happen, it's generally because said player may not be in the best 22 going forward but could get a regular game elsewhere (Ellis, T. Adams, Suckling) and/or played in a premiership due to injuries (Hamling, Lycett).

The other category is the Godfather offers such as Buddy and Jackson. G. Ablett would have still gone to the Gold Coast should Geelong have won in 2010 instead of us. There was Cam Mooney as well but I can't remember those circumstances well.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

To be fair, he said there has never been ONE. And he is correct.

Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:

That'll happen when you combine 2 clubs into one superteam and give them an extra million dollars in the salary cap to afford a midfield no one else can.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:37 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Some of those players like Buddy, had much longer stints at their clubs than Jack, and did they walk within 2 weeks of the flag ?? The look on our Captains face on the Project show, stunned, told me all I need to know. Surprised

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 pm

You're right. The unusual thing here is his age compared to others who moved on after a premiership. Had we won the 2002 GF, Nick Davis moved to the Swans the following year and would be on this list also. He was 22 when he left. But if I remember correctly, it was already known he was going before the finals.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:05 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

To be fair, he said there has never been ONE. And he is correct.

Quite right. Mine was an impermissible overstatement. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112, 113  Next
Page 111 of 113   

Jump to: