Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Exercise tips.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Don’t drink sports drinks unless you’re doing marathons or riding 100’s of km’s per day. Best not to have any at all.

I am a bit late to this conversation but as an avid road cyclist I don't completely agree with you. It also depends on the intensity of the ride. There's a big difference between riding flat Beach Road and in the hills.

A hard two hour ride in the hills at home just to the north east of Melbourne sees me burn up to 1900 kilojoules. If I was just drinking water and eating slowly digesting carbs I would be done after an hour when the muscles' glycogen reserves started to diminish.

After 30 years' experimenting I have for the last couple of years been drinking a home made recipe - water with added glucose powder and maltodextrin powder. That works far better for me, and for many others, than the mass marketed sports drinks which I now avoid. I don't mind grabbing a Coke from the vending machine at the gatehouse near the top of Falls Creek though if I have a gap on some of the other riders. A sugar hit then works wonders.

My work commute is an easy 29km each way but for that I am just spinning so there's no need for anything other than water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: