Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A deeper dive

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:44 pm
Post subject: A deeper diveReply with quote

This start to the season may have been masked by the premiership last year

Our last 12 games played we are 6-6
Our biggest winning margin (admittedly against a weakened side) was 70 points against Essendon
Taking that result away our next biggest winning margin was 8 points

Our losses where by
15-33-32-24-32-17

The first 3 are our first 3 games of this season the last 3 our 3 losses in our last 9 games

In those losses of 2023 our pressure rating for the game averaged 158 which was well below our average in winning games of 197 (AFL average was 186 in winning sides)
In 2024 our average pressure rating is 152 well below the current AFL average of 188.

In 2023 our players with more than 150 games experienced averaged 3.7 clangers/turnovers per game each in 2024 that has risen to 7.9 that’s double the error rate
Our kicking efficiency in 2023 for all games all players was 69.3% which was marginally above the AFL average of 68.4%
In 2024 it’s 54.9% well below the AFL average of 67.8%

Our pressure acts for the entire team is down by 42 per game from our season average in 2023

Make of it what you will but the stats generally tell a story good or bad but it shows that we are behind in many areas of the game

Maybe our manic pressure and game style has caught up with us coupled with the fact we relied upon our senior players so much in the final stages of 2023 that those same senior players now don’t have that extra left in the tank
Any improvement we get from here on in will have to come from the players agreed under 30 and to become less dependent on the over 30’s players to carry the load
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:01 pm
Post subject: Re: A deeper diveReply with quote

^Makes a lot of sense to me and answers a few questions I had. I have noticed the lack of intensity and even the passion to win this year, which is usually unheard of at Collingwood. Can players who had a belly full after winning the flag find that hunger to win a few months later? I honestly don’t know.
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it but we might have to play Malthouse down the line or Buckley slow and steady for a few matches just to try to avoid the high pace slingshot footy. It will still be a test of our skills but will be more dour and and give the old legs a bit of a chance.
Otherwise I’m ready for this team to have a farewell home game and then to rip it apart for something new to bring the life, energy and excitement back.
Fresh legs please. Back to basics please. No fancy hands. Hit the lead up. No helicopter bombs to a congested stagnant Fwd 50

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm

Leigh Matthews:

"One of the interesting things, the pressure rating ... is really low because they are playing without a great deal of energy. Why is that?

"You bring up hypotheticals. They have a lot of plus-30s on their list, and their team, like seven or eight. We know that time stops for no man, that the ageing process, eventually players drop off on energy of performance because you are a little bit slower, a little bit less energy, the pressure grabs hold of you, you start making mistakes. That seems to me what has happened with Collinwood in these few weeks.

"Their confidence would have to be shaky, and the confidence not only in yourself, but your teammates. Because if your teammates start making mistakes, you don't trust them."
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:09 pm

This “lose first 4” and can’t make final 8

Well let’s look at season 1975. A 22 game season with a final 5
North loses first 5 and in fact win 2 from first 8 —14 wins get them 3rd
Come Finals 2 get rolled by Hawks
Win Finals 3 so another crack at Hawks who they flog 19.13 to 9.8

OK so it’s away s back but it can be done from a crap start

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

It’s exactly what I have seen when watching the last 2 games at the MCG. Fumbling and turnovers and not enough pressure on the ball.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 am

BazBoy wrote:
Well let’s look at season 1975

FMD, really?

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:17 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
FMD, really?

That was less than 12 Lazza years ago.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:30 pm

After round 10 last year,
GWS was 3 wins and 7 losses and lost the prelim to us by bugger all.
Carlton was 4 wins, 5 losses and a draw. They also made the Prelim.

It would be nice to bank wins early in the season but I'd prefer to be in top form come September rather than March/April.

I'll get concerned if we're still struggling come the mid season bye.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:14 pm

K wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
FMD, really?

That was less than 12 Lazza years ago.

😳 🤔 😅 😝

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: