Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Impeach Trump II - Revenge Served Cold

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Most of them were more interested in waving flags and taking selfies. As far as riots go it was very underwhelming.

Correct. Only seven deaths. What a poor effort.

And 60 policemen were injured,some were nearly blinded by the bear spray the rioters used.Yeah,so not much of a riot.Look away,nothing to see here.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Quote:
“No thinking person could seriously believe that the president’s January 6 speech on the Ellipse was in any way an incitement to violence or insurrection,” said Michael van der Veen, one of Trump’s lawyers.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/12/trump-impeachment-trial-defense-lawyers-capitol-riot

Seriously, the defense team may as well have read out sections from Through the Looking Glass. Or numbers from a phone directory.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Remarkable: I suppose they had to say something, after all they were defending the indefensible.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 am

As expected, impeachment trial a waste of time.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:31 am

If by that you mean that the Senate didn't convict him, that's true - but it was never going to.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/feb/13/donald-trump-impeachment-senate-trial-vote-verdict-live-updates?page=with:block-60283b498f08b555964bdd74#block-60283b498f08b555964bdd74
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:42 am

Apparently they could've stopped Trump from ever holding public office again, with just 51 Senate votes, by invoking the 14th amendment. I wonder if that's still an option?

https://youtu.be/kvK3nM-IDq8

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:59 am

What'sinaname wrote:
As expected, impeachment trial a waste of time.

A shallow understanding of the process would lead one to that opinion.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:01 am

Now for the various extra parliamentary legal actions to occur including criminal proceedings.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:03 am

^ ... as the Republican Party tries to scrape the thing it stood in just outside the front door from the sole of its shoe.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:50 am

The debarment with a simple majority thing only applies after a guilty verdict, as I understand it.

We have got this whole thing wrong. Two ways.

First, it is utterly stupid trying a politician in front of other politicians. When a politician breaks the law, he should be tried by a proper judge in a proper court.

Secondly, we no longer apply the traditional penalty for treason: traitors like Trump were hung, drawn, and quartered.

OK, if it was up to me I'd wind that penalty back a little 'coz I'm a softie, just a simple hanging would do. Trump's repeated and deliberate acts of serious and harmful disloyalty deserve no less.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:09 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-prosecutors-investigating-trumps-manhattan-properties-11613241198?mod=hp_lead_pos6

More "victory" for Trump.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:45 pm

The problem is and always has been the presidency. It offers an individual far too much power and almost no capacity for accountability. It was only a matter of time before someone like Trump showed up to expose the weaknesses of the system (though arguably Nixon beforehand had already done so).

The outcome here didn’t show that this impeachment trial was a waste of time. It showed that all impeachment trials are a waste of time. The US is in desperate need of a constitutional overhaul, nothing more and nothing less.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:05 pm

David wrote:
The problem is and always has been the presidency. It offers an individual far too much power and almost no capacity for accountability. It was only a matter of time before someone like Trump showed up to expose the weaknesses of the system (though arguably Nixon beforehand had already done so).

The outcome here didn’t show that this impeachment trial was a waste of time. It showed that all impeachment trials are a waste of time. The US is in desperate need of a constitutional overhaul, nothing more and nothing less.

I agree with that,David..The U.S constitution is hopelessly outdated and doesn’t reflect modern values.It was written by wealthy white men,some slavers,more than 240 years ago.The world has changed immeasurably since then.When was the last time the constitution was even amended?It must be a long time ago now.

As for Trump’s acquittal.It’s no big surprise.The republicans were always going to whimpi out because they’re frightened of Trump and his rabid base.I think a lot of these senators were frightened for their own personal safety and for the safety of their families.Anyone who dares to oppose Trump is at risk of being physically attacked and threatened as we saw with the capitol riots.These people are fanatical,dangerous and violent.It seems that the Republicans are scared of their own supporters,and for good reason.

Anyway,let’s see how Trump goes in a real court of law,without the jelly backed republicans to cover for him.I think that the result will be very different in a criminal case,rather than a political case.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:12 pm

The most recent amendment was ratified in 1992. It did take about 202 and a bit years to achieve ratification. https://www.nytimes.com/1992/05/08/us/1789-amendment-is-ratified-but-now-the-debate-begins.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Yes the US Constitution could use reworking, not going to happen.
Yes Trumps Impeachments were a total waste of time , both of them
Expecting different results in different jurisdictions with higher standards of proof is setting yourself up for a fall. Just be thankful he's not POTUS anymore and move on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: