Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Do Better" review made public

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:00 am
Post subject: "Do Better" review made publicReply with quote

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-01/collingwood-is-guilty-of-systemic-racism-review-finds/13055816
Quote:

The Collingwood Football Club is guilty of systemic racism, according to an independent review commissioned by the club and made public today.

While the report has only been made public today, the Collingwood board received it more than a month ago.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

"It described a culture of "individuals, if not quite being bigger than the Club, then at least having an unhealthy degree of influence over Club culture"."
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:36 am
Post subject: Re: "Do Better" review made publicReply with quote

Quote:
While the report has only been made public today, the Collingwood board received it more than a month ago. ...

NewsCorp said the Board received it December 17.

It recommends an audit of the Board, so it's not surprising they sat on it.
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:40 am

“Develop a clear pipeline for the development of talent from diverse communities into the club, and which proactively supports First Nations and people of colour into post-playing positions — particularly coaching — within the club and the AFL”

Let’s see CFC now turn into the token club ala South Africa cricket team. A decade (and more) ahead of idiocy now coming up for the club.

robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:43 am
Post subject: Re: "Do Better" review made publicReply with quote

K wrote:
Quote:
While the report has only been made public today, the Collingwood board received it more than a month ago. ...

NewsCorp said the Board received it December 17.

It recommends an audit of the Board, so it's not surprising they sat on it.

Eddie resigning before its public release, fully aware of the consequences ...
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:45 am

Does Ed 'steps down' now?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:50 am

On 774 radio now...err no longer (at 0900)

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Magpies57 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 am

Shameful!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:54 am

lihei wrote:
“Develop a clear pipeline for the development of talent from diverse communities into the club, and which proactively supports First Nations and people of colour into post-playing positions — particularly coaching — within the club and the AFL”

Let’s see CFC now turn into the token club ala South Africa cricket team. A decade (and more) ahead of idiocy now coming up for the club.

Wow, that’s your response to an independent review that finds systemic racism in the club as well as nothing in the report that exonerates the club from any alleged wrongdoing to Hetertier Lumumba?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:57 am

K wrote:
"It described a culture of "individuals, if not quite being bigger than the Club, then at least having an unhealthy degree of influence over Club culture"."

Funny that. (Not)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:59 am

Congratulations to the club for having the guts to do this review, warts and all. I’m proud of the club for doing this.

It means should we implement the recommendations then the only forward is upward. Well done.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:14 am

It’s good that the report made these findings, because this totally sums up the club’s attitude to this stuff – and, I suspect, that of much of the broader AFL:

Quote:
It found:

• There is a gap between what Collingwood Football Club says it stands for and what it does
• The club is more likely to react to media coverage about a racist incident than complaints made within the club
• Collingwood's response has often been perceived as one where claims of racism are dealt with in terms of damage control and protecting the brand

• Those who have raised issues felt they paid a high price for speaking out
• It diminishes the ability of the Club to resolve the dispute internally, and
• It heightens the risk of public grievance and negative publicity that impacts the Club, its staff, its players and its supporters

To be honest, I thought from the beginning that this review was all part of the (bolded) pattern above and that the findings would be buried, but credit where credit’s due – inadvertently or otherwise, they have left themselves nowhere to hide now and I’m glad that it was done in the end.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:16 am
Post subject: OutrageousReply with quote

Who was on our Board when all this racism was going on? Any true Collingwood fans should be disgusted by this whole saga. Collingwood must stand side by side against racism. Time for huge change in our culture. The buck stops with the Board.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:26 am

David wrote:

[b]• The club is more likely to react to media coverage about a racist incident than complaints made within the club

Good post Dave. I highlighted this part n because the media is implicit with their “Collingwood sells papers” bias towards us, the gutter sniping and blowing every incident and issue at the club into front page news for weeks is a huge part of the problem, and why the club is so reactive to media. No other club gets this. Look at what other clubs and players have done the past year, and compare to the media Collingwood gets for its indiscretions — it’s night and day! It needs to be addressed, how the media hypes up Collingwood — one reason I’m glad Ed has stepped down, we need a president who doesn’t seek attention.

The lABC right now and the reporter made it clear it’s across the AFL and at other clubs, not just Collingwood, but the report only focuses on Collingwood. Reading between the lines, that’s a big Eff You to the AFL for not only doing nothing about racism across the league, but putting it all on Collingwood. Praised Collingwood for doing the hard work with the report.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:30 am
Post subject: Re: OutrageousReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Who was on our Board when all this racism was going on? Any true Collingwood fans should be disgusted by this whole saga. Collingwood must stand side by side against racism. Time for huge change in our culture. The buck stops with the Board.

Who are the players who used the nickname and were part of the problem? <snip – mistaken info removed as requested. Thanks, David for BBMods.> Shame McNamara is the only other player <than Macaffer> to say anything — he heard it, but didn’t name names. Malthouse was coach at the time, Buckley captain, but honestly they would have been focused on other things and not involved in the tribes within the playing group (Ross Lyon said he wouldn’t have a clue what players said unless they told him, he stayed out of the locker room). Doesn’t excuse Malthouse and Bucks, they would have heard about it — they’re leaders, should know better.

Obviously we’re a better culture now. Varcoe, Wells etc wouldn’t be at the club otherwise. What the club did wrong was think that once Lumumba had left they didn’t have to deal with what happened and it was all in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 1 of 52   

Jump to: