Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Do Better" review made public

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Re: Jackson lying to get off a striking charge. Not the same issue of lying, but I distinctly remember Winmar saying he was pointing to his guts, it took guts, not the colour of his skin. He still copped awful racial abuse though so it’s semantics. It’s an example of media changing the narrative and not researching deeply enough.

This was claimed by some (I think a Herald Sun photo caption, to be specific) in the aftermath, but Winmar to my knowledge has always claimed that he was pointing to the colour of his skin, and reiterated that when this version of events was repeated by Don Scott and Mike Sheahan last year. So I think it's time that the "guts" myth, which seems pretty clearly to have been part of a diversionary agenda to downplay the significance of his act and pretend that Aboriginal players aren't hurt by football crowd racism, was put to bed.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2020/06/26/nicky-winmar-suing-sam-newman-and-co-hosts-attempt-revise-historical-moment

I remember Nick saying it at the time though, unless he said it because he didn’t want the attention that would come with racism (understandable). Anyway, clearly it’s put to bed now.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Not sure if anyone else has made note of this, but does it bother anyone that this report had to be leaked? The club has had it for over six weeks; when, exactly, were they planning to release it, if ever?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Gary Pert’s not at the club anymore so can’t blame him. Can’t be Matt Rendell either. Sally Capp? She’s gunning for presidency apparently. If I were a betting man I’d put money on Jayden.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:46 pm

I wasn’t so interested in the leaker’s identity, but I would be surprised if any players (current or former) have even been given a chance to look at it yet. The bigger question for me is, short of trying to buy time to work out how to spin it and/or suppress it altogether, why did the board sit on this for so long?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Hopefully it’s not just the warm up act
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:03 pm

Collingwood press conference at 3pm today. Eddie McGuire, Mark Anderson, Peter Murphy and Jodie Sizer will talk ....
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:22 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
<snip – player's name misattribution resolved. Thanks, David for BBMods.>

It’d help if players stood up, admitted they started and used the nickname, and apologise. Might be legal issues though.

Couldn't agree any more. I thought it back when McNamara and Caff were quoted. If we were truly progressive some of the guilty parties would surely come forward.

I'm still astounded even in the past 20 years that anyone would be that ignorant to still use a nickname - even if they felt the player had given permission - implicitly or explicitly. I've had a few friends of ethnic origin make what could only be described as racist comments about their own.... I just cringe... yeah I'm not getting involved in that, even if you're inviting me to join in.

But then we are talking about football players. They're not exactly Rhodes Scholar's as a general rule!

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:23 pm

robevpau1 wrote:
Collingwood press conference at 3pm today. Eddie McGuire, Mark Anderson, Peter Murphy and Jodie Sizer will talk ....

That should be interesting,to say the least.

I think we know now why Eddie decided to quite the Presidency late last year.He obviously knew this report was coming and that it would be hugely embarrassing for the club and himself in particular.

I think his position would have been untenable once this report was released,and he decided to jump before he was pushed.It’s only a question of whether he resigns now,or continues on until the end of the year.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:26 pm

David wrote:
I wasn’t so interested in the leaker’s identity, but I would be surprised if any players (current or former) have even been given a chance to look at it yet. The bigger question for me is, short of trying to buy time to work out how to spin it and/or suppress it altogether, why did the board sit on this for so long?

I think they were probably always intending to release it very promptly after it was leaked by News Corp.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:27 pm

Laughing yep, that sounds about right.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:35 pm

Adz wrote:
God this going to suck. They are going to ramp up the virtue signalling ten fold aren’t they?

That's the worry.

I couldn't believe my eyes that the report recommended "reparations"

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:40 pm

Perhaps we're reading it differently, but doesn't that just mean offering compensation to employees who've endured racism in the workplace in the past? Whether or not one agrees with it, this is not at all unusual (think of payouts for bullying, harassment, etc.).
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:43 pm

BBHS wrote:
Will they being doing reviews of every single club in the competition or only it's most high profile?

Yep yep and yep x10000

This is like the good old line about Aussie's being amongst the most racist people in the world. Give you a hot tip.... every country has it's racists - and far too bloody many of them .... it's just it's not good for clicks to highlight that.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:44 pm

David wrote:
Perhaps we're reading it differently, but doesn't that just mean offering compensation to employees who've endured racism in the workplace in the past? Whether or not one agrees with it, this is not at all unusual (think of payouts for bullying, harassment, etc.).

The report seems to suggest reparations and compensation are two separate things.

Quote:
The report does not rule out financial compensation. It said making amends could include “reparations, compensation, public apology, and commitments to reform”.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/01/collingwood-afl-clubs-culture-of-structural-racism-condemned-in-scathing-report

Adz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:45 pm

The report did not indicate one instance of real racism occurring. Is it not racist at Collingwood to celebrate Australia Day?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 4 of 52   

Jump to: