Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Do Better" review made public

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read.
I'm not sure I would've said "go your hardest" to someone doing a review of my business. I might have said be independent and impartial.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:27 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
FFS, just as we finally have a sports journalist (Jake Niall) seeing it all from a wider perspective above, and the club takes its first big step towards addressing racism with the advisory group, Shae McNamara decides to lay the boots in some more on his Twitter account. Calls out Luke Ball, Maxy, Bucks, Eddie (of course) and Pendles. Sigh.

It's starting to look like Heritier and friends are more focused on getting revenge than contributing in a positive way to moving forward. Aah well, their perrogative I guess as personal healing will take as long as it takes. However, trying to exact personal revenge can inhibit true progress being made. Sad

Remember when McNamara lead a charge to raise the issue of racism in the club, took the issue public and spoke out about the transgressions he'd seen?

Yeah, me neither.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:37 pm

Redlight wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
FFS, just as we finally have a sports journalist (Jake Niall) seeing it all from a wider perspective above, and the club takes its first big step towards addressing racism with the advisory group, Shae McNamara decides to lay the boots in some more on his Twitter account. Calls out Luke Ball, Maxy, Bucks, Eddie (of course) and Pendles. Sigh.

It's starting to look like Heritier and friends are more focused on getting revenge than contributing in a positive way to moving forward. Aah well, their perrogative I guess as personal healing will take as long as it takes. However, trying to exact personal revenge can inhibit true progress being made. Sad

Remember when McNamara lead a charge to raise the issue of racism in the club, took the issue public and spoke out about the transgressions he'd seen?

Yeah, me neither.

Typical News Corp, completely misquoted Shae for their headline. He hardly “unloaded” on Pendlebury, nor did he name players who made up the nickname (bit damming about Maxie’s dog though). Shae’s words are a bit shallow when he hasn’t apologised or even acknowledged his inaction at the time.
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:52 pm

Shae’s approach has been similar to Lumumba’s. Throw hand grenades at individuals via the media without actually disclosing any of the first hand information that they no doubt have.
A bit of advice to Shae, instead of making grand demands of people via twitter, why don’t you state the actual facts as you remember them. Yes, names of the people who made the jokes, nicknames, stereotyping behaviour etc. As i have stated all along in this saga, Maxwell was the one closest to Heritier. H spent pre game nights with Nick and his family so i have always wondered if H ever brought these issues up with Maxy….but really, all Lumumbas anger began around 2012 when Ralph O’Brien died and the family secrets came out.
BTW, why haven’t H or Shae mentioned Malthouse in any of this???. Considering he was their coach for all but a year or two I would think that his version of events would be very helpful at this time.

Last edited by slangman on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:00 pm

This might sound a bit weird, but what years did H shave his head? I can’t remember him having a “bald” head in his first couple of years.
billy_picken25 Cancer

billy_picken25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:23 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
This might sound a bit weird, but what years did H shave his head? I can’t remember him having a “bald” head in his first couple of years.

Relevance ?

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:35 pm

slangman wrote:
, all Lumumbas anger began around 2012 when Ralph O’Brien died and the family secrets came out.

Yep, which undoubtedly contributed to that sliding door moment between Heritier and the club - Bucks has a lame joke with a fragile Heritier as to whether a particular nickname could be applied to Seedsman after a hair cut, H explodes and abuses the coach, H is told to leave the club for a few days, then comes back citing having to deal with personal issues. That wasn't just a smoke screen issued by the club!! H was definitely in a fragile emotional state, trying to deal with some serious family problems. So, there were personal, psychological triggers within Heritier that were (and possibly still are) driving his anger, in addition to the racist ones.

Just found this article by Barry Cassidy. Not a mention of the effect of any systemic racism issues when he wrote this about Heritier back then in 2013!! Rolling Eyes
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-10/cassidy-harry-obrien/4811712
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:07 am

Very informative article about what governance measures need to be implemented. The big positive here for Collingwood, is that we can become leaders in this space with MCGuire no longer protecting himself. There will be others that need to go too in the coming years, possibly the coach amongst them. As many have said here, there will be a lot of other clubs not facing the music on this subject. It is a massive opportunity for Collingwood to get an advantage on all of those clubs as a destination of choice, and be the club you go to to realise success.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:18 am

Like most outside observers, Cassidy wouldn't have known exactly what was going on behind closed doors – indeed, few people did until 2017, a few whispered rumours aside – so I'm not sure what your point is, PP.

I also think that painting McNamara's posts as "revenge" is a bit jaundiced. We need to let go of this Collingwood supporter victim mentality and stop being so protective of the club; yes, it sounds like a positive step forward that the club has just instituted an expert group to implement the report's recommendations, but it doesn't mean that Lumumba and his friends are obliged to shut up and go home now. McNamara's post is confronting individuals who could have stood up for Lumumba but chose to stay silent, even when they may have been themselves complicit in the club's casually racist culture (particularly Maxwell, who is, in no small irony, now the club's leadership and culture manager). Maybe the truth hurts, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to put it out there.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:53 am

Will it take a few seasons to create what the review determines as there may be others who occupied the locker room in the last decade who have been silent thru this episode in clubs history
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:05 am

billy_picken25 wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:

Relevance ?

I said it’s a bit weird! H said players were slapping his bald head and calling him the nickname when he first joined the club, but I can’t remember him having a shaved head in his first year. Happy to be wrong.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:22 am

"But McNamara backtracked on a false claim that Maxwell had named his dog after Lumumba because it was black. The claim came as a surprise to the Maxwell family as the dog’s name is Ralph and was named by Maxwell’s wife Erin.

Sources said the 2010 premiership skipper, who works at Collingwood, is seeking legal advice on McNamara’s allegations.

After his initial thread, McNamara tweeted: “I need to clarify something. In my attempt to make a point of their tight bond. I said Nick called his dog Ralph, solely after Heritier’s middle name. Although he did joke that he did it for that reason, HIS WIFE NAMED IT RALPH.”"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/former-magpie-takes-aim-at-premiership-players-over-lumumba-20210218-p573pk.html

The legal advice will be: There's no legal avenue for Maxwell.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:33 am

What's the dog's opinion?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Happy to be wrong.

Well, in that case I have good news for you... Wink

https://www.afana.com/sites/default/files/styles/roundearth_gallery_full/public/legacy/gallery/anzac2006/anzac4a.jpg

(That's him on the right on Anzac Day 2006. From my memory he went through a range of hairstyles in his early years, and his head was shaved from time to time as in this pic.)

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:44 am

J. Price:

"Replace the word Collingwood in the Do Better report with the word Australia and you have an accurate assessment of the state of racism in this country: that’s certainly the view of key Australian researchers. Just like Collingwood, Australia “is perceived as being defensive, doubling down and denying allegations instead of taking an active and proactive approach”.

For nearly 30 years, Kevin Dunn, now pro vice-chancellor at Western Sydney University, has studied racism and antiracism. He says there is a grudging use of the word racism in public documents – but still little acceptance from leaders racism even exists in Australia.

Gail Mason is a professor of criminology at the University of Sydney law school and co-director of the Australian Hate Crime Network. ...

“Australia pretends it doesn’t have a hate crime problem,” Mason says. “That’s exacerbated by communities feeling they can’t or shouldn’t report it ... under-reporting is a huge problem. I am often asked if hate crime is going up in Australia but we don’t have the data to answer that.”

Hage says in Australia “we have a record number of denials of the existence of racism”.

“In Australia we seem to think it is the racists who get to decide whether we are racists are not. We have a good tradition of peace movements and organisations in Australia but if you are antiracist you will never be satisfied with what you have achieved. It is important to have a horizon but also to think on a daily basis what one can achieve.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/yes-we-can-do-better-the-ugly-truth-about-racism-in-australia-20210204-p56zqq.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 47 of 52   

Jump to: