Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Do Better" review made public

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

VicParkTragic wrote:
Interesting article about Leon Davis.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/20/former-collingwood-player-leon-davis-we-dont-want-our-kids-to-have-to-go-through-the-bullshit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That’s very sad to hear he experienced that. Essential reading for those who still think all this is about Lumumba’s ego, or whatever. What we hear about tends to only be the tip of the iceberg.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:00 am

Didn't even get a call from the Club, pretty disappointing.

Really galling story to read, must of affected him deeply on and off the feild....this would have been under Malthouses tenure I'd have thought
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:14 am

Well, plainly some of it was: he’s talking about, amongst other things, what happened when he first arrived at the Club.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:25 am

David wrote:
VicParkTragic wrote:
Interesting article about Leon Davis.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/20/former-collingwood-player-leon-davis-we-dont-want-our-kids-to-have-to-go-through-the-bullshit

That’s very sad to hear he experienced that. Essential reading for those who still think all this is about Lumumba’s ego, or whatever. What we hear about tends to only be the tip of the iceberg.

And they ignore Andrew Krakouer too (whose career was ended by this ****):

"I knew ... that my spirits within me were broken."

“It was at that point I knew that I no longer belonged at Collingwood.”
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 am

FletchLives wrote:
I could go on...

Worldwide professional sporting teams essentially survive/thrive or die largely on the back of their on-field performance. Racism is not a winning strategy and there is no incentives in place for it.

This is a very weak argument. If it were true, there would never ever have been racism in any pro sporting league in the world. Is that what you believe?

And you could make the same very weak argument about the corporate world or society at large. Do you believe there's no racism in the corporate world?
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:01 am

The Closing The Gap report Jake mentions is here: https://ctgreport.niaa.gov.au/ .
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:32 am

A great article. Thanks for the post.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:29 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, plainly some of it was: he’s talking about, amongst other things, what happened when he first arrived at the Club.

The years at Collingwood were exactly the same for Leon and Mick - 2000 to 2011, so not just "some of it", but all of it.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 pm

Whether or not an individual fully accepts and endorses what another individual is saying, depends not only on the words that are said, but how they are said and the possible array of motives behind the words. Other factors come into play too, such as the histories and personalities of the individuals. That is simply the nature of human interaction and communication.

Consequently, I understand and appreciate why some of us have carefully considered Heritier's words and not immediately and instantly taken them at full face value, even though they are about such a serious issue as racism within Collingwood.

On the other hand, I entirely believe Leon Davis's words without reserve. I am profoundly upset that he was treated in such a debilitating manner and hope he receives reparation and healing going forward.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:46 pm

The authors are now urging anyone who experienced racism at Collingwood to come forward.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/report-authors-urge-collingwood-to-welcome-the-truth-on-racism-at-club-20210219-p57431.html

Although, I would normally welcome such a move, I do have my reservations that it will only reinforce that racism only happens at Collingwood and that our supporters are all racists.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:59 pm

K wrote:
FletchLives wrote:
I could go on...

Worldwide professional sporting teams essentially survive/thrive or die largely on the back of their on-field performance. Racism is not a winning strategy and there is no incentives in place for it.

This is a very weak argument. If it were true, there would never ever have been racism in any pro sporting league in the world. Is that what you believe?

And you could make the same very weak argument about the corporate world or society at large. Do you believe there's no racism in the corporate world?

The trouble is, FletchLives, players in many sports believe racism is a winning strategy or rather sledging your opponents using race or sexuality or referring to their families. Tony Shaw said as much in 1991. The story of sledges used by the Australian Cricket team last century are legend. I know less about sledging in Rugby League, Basketball and Soccer but I bet it existed and I'll bet some of it was racist.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:01 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

The years at Collingwood were exactly the same for Leon and Mick - 2000 to 2011, so not just "some of it", but all of it.

That’s quite correct.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:06 pm

slangman wrote:

The old adage that the truth lies somewhere in the middle is applicable to this situation as much as any other.

Lots of life experience tells me that this is so, slangman. Smile
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
The authors are now urging anyone who experienced racism at Collingwood to come forward.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/report-authors-urge-collingwood-to-welcome-the-truth-on-racism-at-club-20210219-p57431.html

Although, I would normally welcome such a move, I do have my reservations that it will only reinforce that racism only happens at Collingwood and that our supporters are all racists.

And out and out lies will be told inm an effort to get in the limelight.. The authors are dining out on this because they know full well that no other club of any sport will ask them (ie pay them) to do anything like this again.

FletchLives 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Thanks K and Dr Pie
The section I wrote you have quoted is a statement not an argument. I didn't deny the presence of racism - it is clearly ubiquitous ie present in all facets of life, including sports.
Are you making a counter statement that in the pursuit of winning, racism is a successful strategy and therefore incentive exists?
I was referencing more broadly an organisation/team and its incentives. ie only selecting players of a certain race(s). Or treating people of a certain race differentially (ie worse) in the team environment. I'm not saying this hasn't and doesn't occur - I'm saying it doesn't help winning and an organisation if it is focussed on winning is hindered by such a strategy.
I agree that many believe sledging to be helpful. Apart from anecdotes has there been any study or data that proves that it is successful? We've had very successful cricket teams that sledged and less successful ones that sledged. I doubt that if you are racially abusing opposition players whilst having people of the same race on your own team that it would be a good strategy. It sounds idiotic - clearly it happens and has happened.
There are countless examples of people using racial slurs directed at them to enhance their performance (see Winmar and McAdam).

I think we would all agree that racism exists, is abhorrent and self-defeating.

I am sorry if my post was unclear in that regard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 49 of 52   

Jump to: