Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Do Better" review made public

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the real stuff. A view on the lasting personal impact of racism.

All credit to Leon...he has raised it in an articulate manner and talked about specific instances....not vague generalities like some others of the time.

It's not great that he hasn't been consulted by the club after publication of the report, given his stature as our indigenous games holder. Ultimately, he makes the point that racism genuinely existed (still exists) and he simply wants change to ensure a better deal for his kids and future generations. A good man. Worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/20/former-collingwood-player-leon-davis-we-dont-want-our-kids-to-have-to-go-through-the-bullshit

On this whole subject, I for one am tired of the media adding fuel every few days with more commentary (often random) from the various players in this saga. I think the club has to fast track some key actions, while enunciating a longer term plan to show it has bought into the findings and getting on with the job of driving change.....the pressure on the current players, coaches and administration will grow with every loss, as journalists will seek to use this issue as a sub-plot to every problem that comes up. Not showing fast progress in a few areas will fester through 2021 and every loss or misgiving will be compounded by endless questions in the media and at post-match press conferences.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:27 pm

David wrote:
VicParkTragic wrote:
Interesting article about Leon Davis.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/20/former-collingwood-player-leon-davis-we-dont-want-our-kids-to-have-to-go-through-the-bullshit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That’s very sad to hear he experienced that. Essential reading for those who still think all this is about Lumumba’s ego, or whatever. What we hear about tends to only be the tip of the iceberg.

“It got sorted out to a certain extent, but it wasn’t dealt with the right way for sure. Back then – it’s similar now – people didn’t have the tools to deal with these issues.”

Davis says there were no repercussions for the players involved but he suffered consequences...

And that in a nutshell is the problem with Collingwood and every AFL club. I’ve always been a huge fan of Leon, on and off field. This article is heartbreaking. I can’t help but think if Lumumba had spoken as eloquently and thoughtfully as Leon does in this article, instead of aggressively targeting individuals, Eddie and others might have reacted differently. That’s not so much on H, but the media as well. What a difference The Guardian is to the Herald-Sun!!!

I want to know the names of the players who did that to Leon. Every single one of the pricks. If I’d known back then there would have been hell to pay. Lumumba is vindicated, everyone. I’m not entirely in agreement with the way he’s gone about it, but what happened happened not just to him, but other black players. Leon is one of the nicest blokes I’ve met in footy and this infuriates me. Elite sports teams are very tight — you’re either onboard or out, the players are ruthless with anyone not on the same level. Police, political groups too, so much shit happens in house that’s kept in house by peer pressure and never dealt with. It’s part of what leads to success, but when it comes to racism it has to change and players responsible have to face repercussions.

The article also makes it clear why the club has always struggled to recruit aboriginal players.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 am

I really don't know what it would require for some people to see we have an issue with racism at the Club, not sure whats worse, the fact the shit happened or the fact so many seem the need to run the whataboutism card to downplay it

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
billy_picken25 Cancer

billy_picken25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:04 am
Post subject: ‘That is a form of systemic racism’Reply with quote

‘That is a form of systemic racism’: Buckley admits he was dismissive of Lumumba - The age article title

“It’s about the experiences of those that feel like they have been marginalised and discriminated against and felt lesser in the environment and that’s over a long period of time.”

That's a start, recognition! It's a journey, not a final destination.

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:23 am

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
I really don't know what it would require for some people to see we have an issue with racism at the Club, not sure whats worse, the fact the shit happened or the fact so many seem the need to run the whataboutism card to downplay it

So i take it that you are acknowledging your own racist behaviour as a supporter of a club that now been widely perceived as racist?

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:51 pm

"There were more incidents on the public record such as when Rex Hunt vilified Davis on radio in 2005 that went to mediation... Hunt apologised but Davis then had to deal with death threats and racist correspondence from “fans” who blamed him for the furore and wanted him to leave the club."

Shocked
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Unfortunately I reckon Aus win the gold medal when it comes to blaming the victim 🥺 I have literally seen/heard this hundreds of times in my life. The only way I knew how to deal with it was to immediately confront the perpetrator but had limited success due to their denial of intent or not giving a flying duck about it. I suspect that this behaviour will always go on unabated.
partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:27 am

Tony Armstrong, former Crow, Swan and Pie, is now the sports reporter for ABC Breakfast, replacing PaulKennedy, who will be hosting the 7.30 Report. I always liked him as a player, hope he goes well
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 pm

partypie wrote:
Tony Armstrong, former Crow, Swan and Pie, is now the sports reporter for ABC Breakfast, replacing PaulKennedy, who will be hosting the 7.30 Report. I always liked him as a player, hope he goes well

Good looking rooster who seems very personable. Good luck to him.
Also a big vote of confidence in the talented Kennedy who, from the below interview question, appears to be a true believer.

If you were gay, who would be the one for you?
The man that I’ve most loved and adored, apart from family, is the great Collingwood champion Peter Daicos.
He’s a bit older than me, but I imagine that if I were to turn gay for him, we’d sit on the couch, snuggle up and watch highlights of him playing footy.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:53 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Its funny you know...Eddie stands down over claims racism wasn't dealt with appropriately in the Club and there is 25 pages of frothing outrage, but when a Club hero like Leon comes out with this, 3 pages...practically crickets chirping for a story of this size...speaks volumes

"Many white people, having never experienced racism, know only the fear of being accused of racism, and some see the accusation as the greater threat. This way of being in the world – of being hypersensitive to allegations of racism while demanding that people of colour be less sensitive to racism – protects white supremacy. It works to keep people of colour in their place."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/spare-me-the-warm-fuzzies-on-harmony-day-a-message-from-a-little-chinese-girl-who-s-grown-up-20210303-p577eu.html
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:13 pm

I saw someone get fired for saying something deemed racist some years back. That persons son is now on an AFL list.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:19 pm

TV reported there was someone at last Friday's game wearing a cap with a swastika on it. A Jewish guy took a photo (but did not want to confront the person).

Just what we need. A bloody Nazi at the footy. Shocked Sad
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 pm

'Mark Korda has apologised unconditionally to estranged ex-premiership player Heritier Lumumba and any other past players who suffered systemic racism at the club.

“It’s sad that Heritier is estranged from Collingwood. We understand why and we’d like to take the opportunity, on behalf of the board and our entire club, to apologise to him. And we would like to see you [Lumumba] at ease with Collingwood again. [We hope] the work we are doing in the Do Better report helps that to occur.”

Korda said that his apology extended to all those past players “of colour” and had “no qualifications”.'

(The Age, April 25)
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:05 pm

"Racism flickers at the edge of white people’s consciousness, but for those who aren’t Caucasian, it is an everyday, in-your-face reality.

For former Essendon footballer Nathan Lovett-Murray, it is the memory of constantly finding himself in fights at school without knowing why. At nearly 40, it burns still.

“It’s exhausting,” says Richmond AFLW footballer Akec Makur Chuot. “You don’t ever let your guard down.”

She doesn’t ride trams or trains, knowing she will be shunned, nor carry a backpack when she goes out, knowing it will be searched.

There’s casual racism. “You’re not too bad,” the young and promising Lovett-Murray was told one day at Essendon. “You’re a good Aboriginal.” It wasn’t so long ago, either.

“I remember looking out of the window and thinking suicide,” says Lovett-Murray. “I remember this bird hit the window and snapped me out of it.”

“All right, some people won’t, I get that,” says Lovett-Murray. “But their kids are going to get it. A new generation is going to come through and they’re not going to stand for racism any more.”"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/you-don-t-ever-let-your-guard-down-racism-and-reality-in-australia-20210603-p57xpf.html
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:37 am

So no review for the Adelaide FC? No media pile ons? There have been incidents of racism going back years, it’s not the first time for Walker. Yes the media is reporting on Walker, but compare the reactions with Collingwood. It’s chalk and cheese. Clearly there are culture/system issues at Adelaide, the same that was at Collingwood, yet it’s crickets and tumbleweeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 50 of 52   

Jump to: