Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report January 29th 2021

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:39 pm
Post subject: Training Report January 29th 2021Reply with quote

Ventured down to the club in the rain this morning to see how the new boys are faring. Only two I noticed not out were Mihocek and Howe, while Keane was watching proceedings from the Holden Centre balcony.

After a few running and stretching exercises they got straight into the match sims. Jumpers and numbers were changing hands after each match sim so it wasn't easy to follow who was playing where and who stood out. Ok, to a few of the details:

Kelly and Henry started forward and both were getting plenty of the football. Henry has exceptional skill and could be anything. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end his football career kicking more goals than Stephenson. The conditions were dreadful but it didn't excuse some of Kelly's shots on goal which should have been converted.

McMahon is going to be a very good player when he beefs up. he's a good mark, could play back or forward depending where we need him.

Poulter mostly played down back and got plenty of the ball. One who I would expect to be in the mix for round one. Always seems to have plenty of time when he gets the ball.

McCreery looks tough as nails. Don't think the rain suited him however. His role would be as a defensive forward.

Chugg spent all his time down at half back and took on established stars in WHE and Daicos and showed he belongs at this level. Wouldn't surprise if he started round one.

McCrae plays low to the ground like Adams and is always around the ball without necessarily extracting the ball. May take him most the season to adjust to the pace of AFL footy.

McInnes is a natural footballer who doesn't appear fast but always seems in the vicinity of the football.

Jack Briskey (from Brisbane Academy - hope I got the name right) is trialing to grab the last list spot. He looks very raw but has good size and pace. Difficult to say if he's going to make it. Mostly played down back and has had goes in the ruck.

Giinnivan (no. 33). I failed to notice him do much.

Rantall continued on from where he left off last year. Has plenty of pace and is always around the ball. Just has to fix up his kicking.

Bianco has gained plenty of weight from last year, but it's difficult to see where he's going to play this season given we have few spots in the backline available for him to play. I have Chugg ahead of him.

Wilson, Murphy and Tohill all played down back at various times in the match sims and all show promise with Murphy ahead of the other two.

Of the established players the two that stood out for me were Sidebottom and DeGoey, particularly DeGoey who I've never seem looking this trim at this time of year before. I would be expecting DeGoey to be given more time in the center this season.

All up it was a very impressive training session in the wet. We have plenty of options both forward and back this season. The fear I have going into the season is that the new players we groom to start the season will take time to develop before they establish themselves as AFL players. That's why it's so important for a player like Daicos to maintain the momentum of where he left off in his breakaway season last year and for the Brown brothers to finally establish themselves in the team to ease the pressure off any of the draftees we decide to fast track into the side.
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this excellent report. I was especially interested in your comments about Chugg.

Great stuff.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 pm

Great report. Really enjoyed reading that.

It's generated some much needed excitement for the season ahead.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:41 pm

Thanks MBFC.
Much appreciated.
The one thing I keep hearing about Henry is that he won’t need a lot of the footy to do some damage.
Very creative, makes good decisions and a bit of X factor.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:38 pm

Thanks for the report 👍👍 great stuff 😊
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:44 am

Great work mbfc.
Apart from your observations of the new guys did you notice any positional changes to the first 18 that we see most weeks? Mainly Moore.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:44 am

Great work mbfc.
Apart from your observations of the new guys did you notice any positional changes to the first 18 that we see most weeks? Mainly Moore.

Boot 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:00 am

I’m getting excited about Oliver Henry after reading a few comments during this preseason. Sounds like a superstar in the making. Just need to ensure he doesn’t get injured by putting him into the AFL before his body is ready for the top level.
The reports of Liam Mcmahn are also good to hear as we could do with another tall marking target up forward.
I think the Pies did really well in the recent draft by picking kids who were bottom age so they have a lot of upside to what limited footy they were able to play last year.

Stevo75 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 am

Excellent report especially considering the conditions yesterday. Well done!
Great to hear about all the new players and they're training well.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:03 am

Thanks MBFC.

Always good to read a review from other supporters.

winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:29 pm

Thank you MBFC. Very Happy
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:34 am

Thanks MBFC
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:50 am

Much appreciated MBFC.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 pm

Sounds like Kelly will fit right into our Forward Line with his Goal Kicking.

Typical from Collingwood Concentrating turning Talls into Defenders and not Forwards

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:03 pm

thanks for spending so much time on the young blood - its what I find exciting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: