Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie Gone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

WHO leaked the report anyway, to a rabid Press, THAT is the most pertienent question ???? WHO ??

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
uncanny wrote:

After these two incidents anyone could be forgiven for losing trust in Eddie's commitment to proactively fighting against racism.
Clearly Heritier Lumumba was one such person who, by the time these remarks were made, had lost this trust. He was within his rights to publicly condemn the comments at the time. The club fell in behind Eddie though. It's lack of integrity in addressing Lumumba's concerns has left the issue to fester over 8 long years since.

All the damage this has caused.

Despite being a great servant of the club, driving improvements in on and off field fortunes, including support for underprivileged community groups, Eddie's legacy as president has been forever tarnished.
As has the reputation of our club. To the casual observer, the club is perceived as racist including it's coach Nathan Buckley. In his case, nothing could be further from the truth. As for the club, I reckon if any other club put the blow torch to their past the way we have then similar incidents would surface and then findings would ensue. The key message is we did not proactively work hard enough to eradicate racist behaviour and as a result left the door open for problems to develop and criticism to follow.

In any press I've seen of late, Heritier has been vindicated with the stance that he has taken. Fair enough given the Goodes "gaffe" as well as the nickname given to him by team mates, but I feel the need to point out that others including myself and other posters here and in other threads are left with nagging doubts about the approach he is taking. There is inconsistency between what he is saying and doing now compared to back when he was playing, particularly before the Goodes "gaffe". I also lack confidence about his primary motivation in speaking out. Is it to seek reconciliation between himself and the people of Collingwood or to enhance his profile and personal gain? In his ongoing trenchant criticism, questions arise. Why does he never acknowledge any of the many good things the club has given him? Why does he never point the finger at Mick Malthouse the way he does NB? Why cite an example of racism at the club as banter about a black man's penis despite boasting about his own genitalia on stage at a club function?
Whatever the case, he is now the saint and our club and its people are the sinners in many people's eyes. The contrast Pyrenees Pie made between the way Heritier and Michael Long have dealt with racial slurs resonates with me. Lumumba looking for differences and Long looking to bring people together. Hoping Heritier can learn and grow towards this in time. In my ideal world he and the club would reconcile. This seems a long way away now but anything is possible with a change of heart.

Sad.

Eddie deserves better than this. So do the rest of us, including Heritier.

What do I learn from this?
Banter involving put downs or racial stereotypes should never happen. As a white man I have laughed along like Eddie did. Not again I hope. Not just not laughing along but calling it out. Challenging people to be better about this.
A president must be above and beyond all reproach. Any "chink in the armour," mistake or gaffe must be dealt with honestly and with integrity. He or she cannot "wear a second hat" and provide running commentary on clubs, players and identities in the game with a bias towards his own club. It's not fair, breeds resentment and in the long run comes back to bite you.

Like it has this time.

This is a great post uncanny.

All of it resonates with me, but in reply to the bolded part, this video is doing the rounds at the moment:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/176011/copeland-trophy-harry-o-brien-speech?videoId=176011&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1380890401001

Now this was after the big blow up with Bucks and the Goodes fiasco from Eddie.. What happened to Heritier that he changed from this fairly reconciliatory approach to the militant figure bent on revenge??
I think it was Piesnchess who suggested many pages back it could be because he is now living in LA and has been influenced by the BLM movement in the US. Or is it because he just wants notoriety and to fit in with the community he has chosen? Or is it because he wants $ - both questions you ask above. I am simply can't work him out! I guess time will tell.

Thanks Pyrenees interesting watching H’s demeanour that night. He seemed very nervous, even a bit scrambled, not comfortable. If you’d known him well and watched that you’d likely enquire on if he was ok. He appears must more self assured now. He really is a mystery figure that I don’t think anyone can work out.

If you're ever not sure what motivates human beings I can give a one word answer - MONEY.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:01 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Redlight wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Pretty telling that not ONE Board member, has now come out and backed Eddie, not one, seems the mighty Corporate dollar won out there, their silence is deafening. Only person ive heard backing him was Peter Gordon, who said some terrific things bout eddie today, on radio. Pointed out all the good work he has done, saved the Club, all the community work, indigenous community work hes done too, his work with the poor, homeless folks, etc, i really admire Peter Gordon for that. Peter Moore backed eddie too, said when Ed got to the Club we were on our knees, broke, skint, disunited, a rabble, and eddie pulled the whole club together, i salute him too.

The report, it's leaking, the lack of support for Ed. It stinks of ambition from within the board itself.

Murphy will likely be interim president but I have zero faith in him, or anyone on the current board.

We need someone from outside. Clean out the entire board and start again.

I have a few questions myself to be addressed to the CFC. Why did the club hold onto the report for so long before releasing it? Did the club actually read the 35 page report before they decided to release it? If so why didn't they correct the factual errors in the report before releasing it? For instance the age of the person at the MCG who vilified Adam Goodes isn't given. It implies it was a young MALE Collingwood supporter. In fact it was a 13 year old GIRL. The company commissioned to write the report is a Human Rights action group with links to the Greens. They begin their report by stating that racism is endemic in the community. If that is the case then of course they will find systemic racism at the CFC. You would expect that they will find systemic racism at all 18 AFL football clubs. Was Eddie McGuire warned about the contents of the report before he gave his press conference. Seems strange he would say this a proud day for the CFC. The question needs to be asked which legal firm is representing Lumumber in his law suit against the CFC? Does the club intend settling the law suit with a pay out? Is there a link between the lawyers representing Lumumber and the Consultancy Group which conducted this report into racism at the CFC? These are questions which the Collingwood members deserve answers to but I'm not expected the club to be forthcoming with any answers.

"Lumumba’s lawyer, Rhea Dillon, from Phi Finney McDonald". See: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/lumumba-s-stance-vindicated-by-collingwood-report-lawyer-says-20210201-p56yfx.html
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:15 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
WHO leaked the report anyway, to a rabid Press, THAT is the most pertienent question ???? WHO ??

Does it matter? The report is the report and I’m not sure hiding it was going to be any sort of solution to its findings. All that matters is the future of the club. MCGuire is gone & for all the good he did, he contributed to his own demise.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:17 pm

Sorry Ed but you shot yourself in the foot. As a lawyer says, never ask a question you don't have the answer to before you ask it.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:21 pm

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Does it matter? The report is the report and I’m not sure hiding it was going to be any sort of solution to its findings. All that matters is the future of the club. MCGuire is gone & for all the good he did, he contributed to his own demise.

Maybe, but i dunno, the word Traitor springs too mind, someone wanted to undermine Eddie, i cant abide stab in back traitors. Eddie did not deserve that treatment from a trusted insider. I agree he contributed to his demise by silly gaffes, the Proud one was the last straw, i guess. Surprised

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:51 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
I don't think H will let this rest until Buckley is gone, you can pretty much tell from the subtext of his interviews that he doesn't think Eddie is a big enough scalp, or more to the point, not the scalp he is after

After all it was Buckley who insinuated he was mentally unstable.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:57 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
I don't think H will let this rest until Buckley is gone, you can pretty much tell from the subtext of his interviews that he doesn't think Eddie is a big enough scalp, or more to the point, not the scalp he is after

Any proof of that, that doesnt sound like a Bucks comment too me ? H wont be satisfied in his bunker in L A until our whole club is decimated an broke, even then he would still whinge and complain. Rolling Eyes

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:01 pm

David wrote:
You’re missing the point. This isn’t about two weeks or two years or walking off the latest controversy, it’s about Eddie himself and how he is perceived. Maybe this was a viable possibility for a while in the mid 2000s, but Eddie has been a pantomime villain for a large portion of the population for as long as I can remember.

He also has no political constituency – even the article above quotes him as saying that he supports Liberal Party economics but Labor social values ... so, basically Malcolm Turnbull 2.0, and we know how well that turned out. I could almost imagine him as a small-l Liberal candidate, but if you think there’s any space for him in the ALP, which he seems to be more closely affiliated with, you’re dreaming.

In fact that sounds like the right wing of the ALP to a tee. Though I do agree with you that his political career is shot, and has been since the King Kong comments.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
David wrote:
You’re missing the point. This isn’t about two weeks or two years or walking off the latest controversy, it’s about Eddie himself and how he is perceived. Maybe this was a viable possibility for a while in the mid 2000s, but Eddie has been a pantomime villain for a large portion of the population for as long as I can remember.

He also has no political constituency – even the article above quotes him as saying that he supports Liberal Party economics but Labor social values ... so, basically Malcolm Turnbull 2.0, and we know how well that turned out. I could almost imagine him as a small-l Liberal candidate, but if you think there’s any space for him in the ALP, which he seems to be more closely affiliated with, you’re dreaming.

In fact that sounds like the right wing of the ALP to a tee. Though I do agree with you that his political career is shot, and has been since the King Kong comments.

Rubbish, as the old saying goes, " a week is a long time in politics" 2-3 yrs is a bloody lifetime, this will all be long forgotten by then, make no mistake, well and truly yesterdays news, His brother is in state parlt, Eddie will be offered a safe Labor seat, maybe Wills. Hes eddie everywhere, loves to get his name and photo front and center, and politics is his logical next gig, all this crap will be long forgotten by then, his legacy will be he saved the Magpies from extinction.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 pm

And that will get him votes from Carlton supporters how?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:38 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:

Any proof of that, that doesnt sound like a Bucks comment too me ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_i4brSUFow&feature=emb_logo

That's just one example.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:39 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
David wrote:

Rubbish, as the old saying goes, " a week is a long time in politics" 2-3 yrs is a bloody lifetime, this will all be long forgotten by then, make no mistake, well and truly yesterdays news, His brother is in state parlt, Eddie will be offered a safe Labor seat, maybe Wills. Hes eddie everywhere, loves to get his name and photo front and center, and politics is his logical next gig, all this crap will be long forgotten by then, his legacy will be he saved the Magpies from extinction.

Wills? That's Peter Khalil's (federal) seat (he signed the letter and is a Collingwood supporter). And given that electorate and Eddie's history he might be beaten by the local Green candidate. He might have a chance in an outer eastern seat where people are more likely to think comparing a leading Aboriginal footballer to King Kong is okay but I wouldn't put him anywhere near a more politically astute electorate. Plus a lot of local electorates arent going to like him parachuted in over their local favorite either. Maybe a few years out of the spotlight might help him electorally but that not likely to happen either is it? lol

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
There is an extremely safe seat in his old hunting ground of Broadmeadows, maybe the incumbent would step aside for him Wink

I'd love him to get into politics, don't get me wrong, but mainly for the reasons David mentioned, seeing all those people who currently loathe and detest everything Eddie stands for suddenly praising and worshipping him would be gold!

Eddies brother is in State parlt for Labor, and eddie is an old Broady boy, he could well win a safe seat like Wills, for instance. IN two yrs this will all be yesterdays news, like whoever thought Turnbull would lead the LNP ? Most eddie detractors are greens and activists, with a handfull of Labor ones, they dont carry much weight, Labor does have a right wing too. All i can say is, watch this space. Cool

I'd be very suprised if he went to parliament. His brother is well regarded in the seat of Broadmeadows.

My youngest daughter was fortunate enough to get a parliamentry internship in state politics a few years ago as part of her undergraduate degree. She was really impressed with two state politicians: Eddie's brother and the former short lived premier Ted Baillieu. Said they were warm, friendly, encouraging and approachable.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:58 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
David wrote:

Wills? That's Peter Khalil's (federal) seat (he signed the letter and is a Collingwood supporter). And given that electorate and Eddie's history he might be beaten by the local Green candidate. He might have a chance in an outer eastern seat where people are more likely to think comparing a leading Aboriginal footballer to King Kong is okay but I wouldn't put him anywhere near a more politically astute electorate. Plus a lot of local electorates arent going to like him parachuted in over their local favorite either. Maybe a few years out of the spotlight might help him electorally but that not likely to happen either is it? lol

IM not a betting man, really, but id wager $1000 that eddie will run for a Labor seat in at most, two yrs, maybe shorter. You honestly think those comments are going to matter in two long years, FMD, get real be all yesterdays news, how many pollies, both sides, have made dumbshit stupid comments, done dumbarse things, clusterfucks, and still get voted back in, like the sports rorts affair, mass corruption, no body worries bout that shit anymore, Polies get away with blue murder, eddies comments will be long forgotten sorry to disappoint u, long forgotten. U trust the political game far too much, both sides use anything or anybody they can to win seats, corrupt or not, its a game, and the bogan masses cop it sweet. Eddie will run for a Labor seat, and will win, like look at the brainless twats up in Canberra, hed be a friggin genius compared to someone like Beetroot Baaaaarnababy. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 22 of 32   

Jump to: