Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie Gone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

• No premierships in 10 seasons. No coach in the history of the sport lasts longer than that without silverware.

• Declined from the year before in every single year except 2018 when we had the unexpected rise from 13th to 2nd.

• His coaching record is modest at best. Not terrible, but not great either.

• Graham Wright will play a pivotal role in deciding his future. The new President didn’t instil anything into me to believe Buckley stays beyond this year.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Continual failures from our present coach???

In 2018 he did better than the failures of 16 other coaches.

In 2019 he did better than the failures of 14 other coaches.

In 2020 he did better than the failures of 13 other coaches.

We are all desperate for a flag, but let's not use Bucks as an easy scapegoat. The fact is we have not had a good enough list to win a Premiership for many years, yet Bucks has had us as contenders despite our lack of genuine talent. He is a great coach imo because he consistently get's the most out of our list.

Please Rudeboy - look at it objectively, Nathans had ten years to wheel, deal and do whatever he's wanted.. he got close one year with a lot of 'assistance' which is now no longer with us but the bottom line is he hasn't been able to get it to work while basket case clubs like Richmond (of all clubs..) have become a powerhouse. Time to turn a new leaf, and judging by Mark Korda's comments on SEN, unless Wright sees something that all of us don't Bucks days are done - we can do better...

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Woods wrote:
Just found this long form interview with Joffa talking about Eddie's departure and Harry and racism.

At the time of this post, this interview has had only 483 views since it was posted on YouTube in late February. Incredible, given the saturation media coverage on Eddie's departure.

And don’t laugh off the boy interviewer, this kid is good. So is Joffa.

EXCLUSIVE: Joffa Corfe on Eddie McGuire & Heritier Lumumba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAXswG7k84A

The young interviewer is surprisingly good at his job and does reasonably well under the circumstances, but Joffa comes across in this video as just another angry keyboard warrior who has lots of opinions but hasn't really spent much time investigating the issues he's talking about. It's pretty disappointing that he is so insistent on falsely accusing Lumumba of being a liar, particularly given he can't even back up that charge upon being challenged. His defences of Eddie are fair enough, but otherwise he seems much more exercised by the injustice of people being called racist than, you know, actual racism (also, his claim that there was only ever one racist comment in the cheersquad in his time is unbelievable; given his own participation in this kind of thing back in the day, I think his own judgement of what is and isn't racist might be a little suspect: https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9520).

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:37 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

We are all desperate for a flag, but let's not use Bucks as an easy scapegoat. The fact is we have not had a good enough list to win a Premiership for many years, yet Bucks has had us as contenders despite our lack of genuine talent. He is a great coach imo because he consistently get's the most out of our list.

Sorry but imo, great coaches win you the ultimate prize and not to just get the most out of the list.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:12 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

2014 to 2017 all say hello (now weren't they glorious years)

Buckley is an average coach at best (certainly not great) cos great coaches win flags and not find a way to blow them (2018).

He came to us with zero experience and has been learning on the job ever since. He's had talent and resources at his disposal but has failed to maximise that talent or pushed it out the door with his ego and narcissistic ways. He's a very poor people manager (Heath Shaw and Lamumba)

Rather than sourcing the best assistants and football minds going round, he elects to surround himself with sycophants and yes men mates.

He has us playing a lame, boring standard of football that is taxing and relies on overpossession and when that doesn't work he goes into defensive mode cos he doesn't have a plan B. This is why we rarely get thrashed on the scoreboard.

The sooner he's ousted the sooner the club can start to recover and hopefully bounce back. We need new people with fresh ideas.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Minority view on Nick’s but for what it’s worth, I make a futile post agreeing with everything you said RB. However the Buckley hate club who have been active for many years, since the days of the s_d s_cks, have got their man. Enjoy the moment and let’s appoint a person of your choice as coach.

Last edited by Lazza on Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:59 pm

DP
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:16 am

There is no significant "Buckley hate club" but there are a lot of people who - without any animus whatsoever - think he can't coach. The two things are quite discrete.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:41 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
There is no significant "Buckley hate club" but there are a lot of people who - without any animus whatsoever - think he can't coach. The two things are quite discrete.

Exactly. I am totally sick of all those who think that critique of Bux means hatred of Bux.
This is a distorsion of reality which serves only to defend the status quo.
There is no true Collingwood supporter who hates Bux.
But there are many who have formed the opinion that he is unable to take us forward as a coach.
Why is this so difficult to comprehend for some?

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:54 am

I'm not a Buckley hater either, what I do hate though is how over the last 25 yrs the focus for 90% of the club has been him, and not the club.
CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:28 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Exactly. I am totally sick of all those who think that critique of Bux means hatred of Bux.
This is a distorsion of reality which serves only to defend the status quo.
There is no true Collingwood supporter who hates Bux.
But there are many who have formed the opinion that he is unable to take us forward as a coach.
Why is this so difficult to comprehend for some?

I think it’s the vitriol that’s levelled his way that might be the reason some of us feel there is a “hate club”. Some of it is pretty nasty on this site and whatever people might think about his performance, he doesn’t deserve the type of invective levelled his way by some.

Also, Buckley is seemingly blamed for all the ills of the club. Why? Because he is the only one who regularly stands up and speaks publicly to the issues we face. Hopefully, Graham Wright will provide better media cover than Geoff Walsh did. I’m agnostic about whether he stays or goes, as 10 years is a long gig. I’ll be happy so long as he is assessed for his job performance, not our club diversity approaches, list management, etc.

I dare say he would be happy to still have Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips on the list....if we could afford them. The truth is we now have a bunch of old guys and a group of youngsters, with little depth in between. There is little balance. We are screwed for depth the next 2-3 years. That is a football department responsibility. It reflects a huge list weakness created by crappy recruitment decisions, inept trading (e.g what we gave up for Beamer, Treloar (both in and out of the club)) and poor salary cap forecasting. He is managing with what he has at his disposal right now.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 am

I agree with you 100% CP18.

We can all have differing opinions on Bucks' coaching, but he deserves respect, especially from Collingwood supporters.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:10 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I agree with you 100% CP18.

We can all have differing opinions on Bucks' coaching, but he deserves respect, especially from Collingwood supporters.

Why does he deserve more respect than Davis, Heater, Daisy, Hertier, Jolly or Treloar ?
How much respect has he given them.

I don't hate him but I will smile and do a jig the day his ass walks out of the B&W because IMHO it is inarguable that we will be a better place with him gone. There is doubt whether he has provided any value at all.

No one has taken out more cash from our coffers in the history of the club, even Garry Shaw won finals.

edit: sorry I forgot the owner of The Beach and Ms Minnici
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:07 pm

CrossPie18 wrote:
I dare say he would be happy to still have Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips on the list....if we could afford them. The truth is we now have a bunch of old guys and a group of youngsters, with little depth in between. There is little balance. We are screwed for depth the next 2-3 years. That is a football department responsibility. It reflects a huge list weakness created by crappy recruitment decisions, inept trading (e.g what we gave up for Beamer, Treloar (both in and out of the club)) and poor salary cap forecasting. He is managing with what he has at his disposal right now.

I don't think it is even open to suggest that, let alone that it is a plausible explanation. The notion that Buckley had all these decisions "done" to him is, in my opinion, nonsense. The true position will be that the football department did what it could, on his request, to give him what he wanted.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Its a hard decision to let Buckley go, as he has some admirable qualities as a coach.

Question is who would you replace him with ?

People are too dismissive of 2018 and IMO it was ours if it wasnt for a rubbish umpiring moment. Bux needs credit for that year.

Giving him a totally fresh group of assistants around him and give him 2 more years would be a sensible option , IMHO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32   

Jump to: