Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie Gone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:

Conversely, sources familiar with the situation believe that some individuals on a heavily corporate board [b]with reputations to protect would have considered stepping down themselves if Eddie did not quit then[/b].

Thanks for posting those excerpts K. It seems that this saga has been rife with individuals and corporations wanting to protect their image. I understand that's just how it is in modern society Sigh.

Here's another angle on Eddie's departure from the National Indigenous Times:
https://nit.com.au/collingwood-actions-not-words/. Written by an indigenous leader.

Quote:
Over the weekend I thought maybe I was being too sympathetic towards Eddie and the Collingwood Football Club, so I rang some prominent Indigenous former AFL players and businesspeople who have spearheaded stamping out racism in the AFL and society as a whole.

Each and every one of them said that Eddie had said a stupid thing and should have apologised sooner. However, they had a tremendous amount of respect for Eddie and his efforts in the Indigenous space — especially since the Adam Goodes saga.

They said that Eddie had made good on his promise to do more for Indigenous communities. They were, however, reluctant to make any public comment in support of Eddie for fear of being ripped apart.

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:08 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
^ Didn't this lecture to law students take place within the club headquarters?

No, it was at Jeff’s Shed.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:10 pm

^ Thanks for the reply, 5 from the wing on debut.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:12 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
K wrote:

Conversely, sources familiar with the situation believe that some individuals on a heavily corporate board [b]with reputations to protect would have considered stepping down themselves if Eddie did not quit then[/b].

Thanks for posting those excerpts K. It seems that this saga has been rife with individuals and corporations wanting to protect their image. I understand that's just how it is in modern society Sigh.

https://nit.com.au/collingwood-actions-not-words/. Written by an indigenous leader.

Quote:
Over the weekend I thought maybe I was being too sympathetic towards Eddie and the Collingwood Football Club, so I rang some prominent Indigenous former AFL players and businesspeople who have spearheaded stamping out racism in the AFL and society as a whole.

Each and every one of them said that Eddie had said a stupid thing and should have apologised sooner. However, they had a tremendous amount of respect for Eddie and his efforts in the Indigenous space — especially since the Adam Goodes saga.

They said that Eddie had made good on his promise to do more for Indigenous communities. They were, however, reluctant to make any public comment in support of Eddie for fear of being ripped apart.

Of course they have to protect their images.
They commissioned a report that said they were directors of a club that was systemically racist for a long period of time and that the board should be vetted.
They are on the board on an honorary basis and most have other successful commercial business interests. If Eddie was not made the public scapegoat it could have been them. It still may be.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:13 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
^ Thanks for the reply, 5 from the wing on debut.

My pleasure
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:29 pm

Just an aside. When I visited the States on the nineties, I was intrigued (for want of a better word) that the African Americans were happy to call each other the n word but were upset if another non African American person did this🙄 If this was such an insulting word, why would keep its usage going? And if it’s a matter of being selectively offended, why is this? You cannot be half pregnant? I found this selective use offensive and illogical. Go figure🙄
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm

It's funnier if you find out for yourself
https://tinyurl.com/2mc8fa5g

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:37 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
It's funnier if you find out for yourself
https://tinyurl.com/2mc8fa5g

You're right!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:47 pm

Lazza wrote:
Just an aside. When I visited the States on the nineties, I was intrigued (for want of a better word) that the African Americans were happy to call each other the n word but were upset if another non African American person did this🙄 If this was such an insulting word, why would keep its usage going? And if it’s a matter of being selectively offended, why is this? You cannot be half pregnant? I found this selective use offensive and illogical. Go figure🙄

Interesting Lazza, isn't it. Blowed if I know. Maybe they use it in a sarcastic (of whites), or cynical (again, of whites) or political (remember what the whites call us) way?
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Lazza wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/15/opinion/the-nwordand-richard-pryor.html

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:49 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

They commissioned a report that said they were directors of a club that was systemically racist for a long period of time and that the board should be vetted.
They are on the board on an honorary basis and most have other successful commercial business interests. If Eddie was not made the public scapegoat it could have been them. It still may be.

Yes, that is exactly true. Eddie is currently the scapegoat for the entire board, because it is the entire board that is responsible for leadership of the club. It is not just Eddie but the entire regime over which he presided which failed to address the issues of racism in the club and allowed it to fester. Eddie's string of "mis-steps" as the Age refers to, that is, a series of embarrassing and offensive remarks in public, were the expression of this unhealthy culture. It is also true that some of the board members may still be targeted by the media.
I hope in fact that the entire board undergoes radical change, because I think this could bring very positive change for us moving forward. The time has come for the ancien regime to make way for the new social order.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:37 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

Yes, that is exactly true. Eddie is currently the scapegoat for the entire board, because it is the entire board that is responsible for leadership of the club. It is not just Eddie but the entire regime over which he presided which failed to address the issues of racism in the club and allowed it to fester. Eddie's string of "mis-steps" as the Age refers to, that is, a series of embarrassing and offensive remarks in public, were the expression of this unhealthy culture. It is also true that some of the board members may still be targeted by the media.
I hope in fact that the entire board undergoes radical change, because I think this could bring very positive change for us moving forward. The time has come for the ancien regime to make way for the new social order.

Whilst you are organising the new social order, can you have a word to Assange about releasing the Murphy report? Only if you have time though.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 pm

They commissioned a report that said they were directors of a club that was systemically racist for a long period of time and that the board should be
Whilst you are organising the new social order, can you have a word to Assange about releasing the Murphy report? Only if you have time though.

I have requested the release of this report by Wikileaks on numerous occasions, but so far no success. Apparently, far reaching redactions are required to protect the security ofall information sources. May take some years before the report can be safely released.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:29 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
K wrote:

Quote:

I have an aboriginal mate who got called a coconut for saying Eddie deserved better — by a woman who thinks she’s a world authority on indigenous people and racism because she has an aboriginal great-grandparent. A lot of people are too scared to speak up. Especially aboriginal folk who are shy of media and attention to begin with, it’s bloody hard for them.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:58 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

They commissioned a report that said they were directors of a club that was systemically racist for a long period of time and that the board should be

I have requested the release of this report by Wikileaks on numerous occasions, but so far no success. Apparently, far reaching redactions are required to protect the security ofall information sources. May take some years before the report can be safely released.

I understand.
They don’t want the well kept secret that NB isn’t a great coach to get out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 26 of 32   

Jump to: