Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our system of elections

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:05 pm
Post subject: Our system of electionsReply with quote

Our club's system of appointing a Board and a President is based on the "parliamentary model". In Australia we don't vote for Prime Minister. We vote for a party and the party with the most seats becomes the Government and appoints the Prime Minister. We don't have a separate election for Prime Minister.

Our club operates along similar lines. The Board is elected by the members and then the Board appoints the President. Eddie Maguire resigned and eventually the Board appointed Mark Korda as President. All of this was done according to Hoyle and our Constitution. To those who are complaining about Mark Korda being made President I say - There will be an Annual General Meeting in 10 months or so. If you think that you're the one, stand for election with a slate of proposed new Board members. In the meantime give Mark Korda a chance to prove himself. Complaints from "people associated with Collingwood" are divisive and hearken back to the bad old days from decades ago when there were fights over the management of our club. There is nothing so guaranteed to spell failure as warring factions within and without our club. Carlton supporters would love all of this!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I do however, think it would be a healthy outcome for our club to actually have an election this year. A whole board of appointees, leads to group think and a lack of real connection to our members. That's not good for our club.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:08 pm

Harrysz wrote:
If you think that you're the one, stand for election with a slate of proposed new Board members.

This is the problem, isn't it: what if you like some Board members and not others? Shouldn't there be other options other than 1) letting the Board appoint who it wants and serve for as long as it wants, without any accountability to members; or 2) the disruption and chaos of turfing the entire lot out and scrape together an entire alternative Board from scratch (something that I'm guessing is so difficult that it has hardly ever been accomplished at any football club)?

If those are the only two options, then you've basically got a club in the form of a single-party state. And maybe some people are fine with that, but I see no reason why every position shouldn't be up for election at least once every couple of years with all members entitled to cast a vote.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:26 pm

David wrote:
Harrysz wrote:
If you think that you're the one, stand for election with a slate of proposed new Board members.

This is the problem, isn't it: what if you like some Board members and not others? Shouldn't there be other options other than 1) letting the Board appoint who it wants and serve for as long as it wants, without any accountability to members; or 2) the disruption and chaos of turfing the entire lot out and scrape together an entire alternative Board from scratch (something that I'm guessing is so difficult that it has hardly ever been accomplished at any football club)?

If those are the only two options, then you've basically got a club in the form of a single-party state. And maybe some people are fine with that, but I see no reason why every position shouldn't be up for election at least once every couple of years with all members entitled to cast a vote.

Each year 2 board members come up for re-election. If someone wants to challenge for a board position, they have to win an election over the 2 incumbents. The biggest hurdle is that incumbency is very powerful, as they have the resources of the members mailing list and website etc to promote their re-election, placing an 'outsider', regardless of how good they are, at a significant disadvantage. Any challenger at all, is likely to be labelled a 'disrupter'.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:54 pm
Post subject: Re: Our system of electionsReply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
Our club's system of appointing a Board and a President is based on the "parliamentary model". In Australia we don't vote for Prime Minister. We vote for a party and the party with the most seats becomes the Government and appoints the Prime Minister. We don't have a separate election for Prime Minister.

Our club operates along similar lines. The Board is elected by the members and then the Board appoints the President. Eddie Maguire resigned and eventually the Board appointed Mark Korda as President. All of this was done according to Hoyle and our Constitution. To those who are complaining about Mark Korda being made President I say - There will be an Annual General Meeting in 10 months or so. If you think that you're the one, stand for election with a slate of proposed new Board members. In the meantime give Mark Korda a chance to prove himself. Complaints from "people associated with Collingwood" are divisive and hearken back to the bad old days from decades ago when there were fights over the management of our club. There is nothing so guaranteed to spell failure as warring factions within and without our club. Carlton supporters would love all of this!

Well said, Harry.

I don't think we can afford an EGM at this moment particularly with antagonists from the Browne camp pushing for one.

Korda's been appointed. Now let's get on with it and start building this club back to the top where it belongs.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:00 am

I think some people get confused also between members and voting members. Buying a season ticket doesn't give you the right to vote
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:09 pm

^

Correct. Only Social Club Members get to vote.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Correct. Only Social Club Members get to vote.

Yep that includes Club 5, Legends and other Social Club members.

I think that roughly constitutes 15,000 Collingwood members.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: