Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2010 premiership (maybe too late)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:54 am
Post subject: 2010 premiership (maybe too late)Reply with quote

Who here thinks that the 2010 was far too late to win like it took mick too long in his tenure to win. Hence the bs surrounding the hand over to bucks.
I do fair enough 2002-2003 yes runners up then sit out 2004 ok but it was years 2005-2007 we should have won one of these years I just feel 2010 was far to late for mick anyway.
Would have liked it to be say 2005 or 2006 to be honest.
But it’s a hell of a lot better then the 2013-2020 debarcle that’s for sure.
What does everything think about the 2010 do we think it was too late for mick.
I still feel mick should have won 1 more flag with us at least.
Really not sure on our years 2004-2008 I feel we really underachieved in these years and cost mick his job eventually.
And 2011 didn’t matter mick knew bucks was down his neck already for the coaching job which overshadowed the 2011.
My prediction bucks to step down during the season I’m not ruling it out.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I think Mick did just fine - if you don't count the replay he took us to what? 4 GF appearances in what about 11-12 years... We won one, we're robbed in another (A Rocca goal), smashed in one, undermined all year in another (2011, and of course it mattered - the handover pretty much cost us back to back flags).

And we obviously tanked in between the 1st 2 GF appearances and the last 2...

Bucks has never tanked, Micks record speaks for itself.

Nope did just fine all things considered.

My prediction is Bucks will either be sacked, or jump just as he's about to be sacked as he knows that he's toast.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:03 am

Malthouse is the one of the all time best coaches and he is an expert when it comes to blooding raw young talent and coaching them and bringing them through.

Best in the business for the youngsters.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:16 pm

^^^^^

You reckon? Really?

Carlscum fans would beg to differ🙄

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:13 pm

Lazza wrote:
^^^^^

You reckon? Really?

Carlscum fans would beg to differ🙄

It's a different situation. He went to Carlton and convinced them they were in the premiership window, not a developing club. He wasn't there to develop and nurture, he was there to make finals and win a flag.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Not too sure if the fact he achieved neither reflects his inability to do either task or it exposed the pathetically crap playing list he had to contend with.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:58 pm

I think when a bloke coaches two teams to three premierships and holds the record for the most games coached, all-time, it's probably OK to accept that he can coach a bit. If you exclude the periods at the start and end of his coaching career, when he was caching hopeless clubs with no recent finals history, he got West Coast and Collingwood to a Grand Final about once every 3 years, on average. He even got both Footscray and Carlton (with a little assistance from Essendon, of course) into finals, once. More significantly, he coached West Coast to the finals 10 years in a row and took just 3 years to take Collingwood from being perennial bottom-dwellers to playing in a Grand Final. He had Collingwood in the finals 8 seasons out of 12. Plainly he was able to do both tasks. He won premierships at Collingwood and West Coast and he developed the Collingwood list from basically nothing (they were last the year before he took over).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Post subject: Re: 2010 premiership (maybe too late)Reply with quote

90 nice wrote:
Who here thinks that the 2010 was far too late to win like it took mick too long in his tenure to win. Hence the bs surrounding the hand over to bucks.
I do fair enough 2002-2003 yes runners up then sit out 2004 ok but it was years 2005-2007 we should have won one of these years I just feel 2010 was far to late for mick anyway.
Would have liked it to be say 2005 or 2006 to be honest.
But it’s a hell of a lot better then the 2013-2020 debarcle that’s for sure.
What does everything think about the 2010 do we think it was too late for mick.

These arguments were tedious at the time, let alone now! Of course it goes without saying that the handover was a direct result of pressure on Malthouse and the perception that he'd been there for too long without a premiership, as we heard daily on this site from jack_spain and others. But the question of how long is too long without a premiership has always seemed kind of silly to me. The only sensible way of looking at it is to ask how likely it is that the current coach is still the right fit for the job (or still the most likely to deliver a premiership, if you want to put it like that) and whether we could benefit from a fresh face, or whether a superior alternative is available.

The fact is, with a few centimetres' difference here or there, Buckley could have been a premiership coach in 2018, and he'd still be more or less the same guy with the same skillset and same likelihood of achieving future success now in 2021. So, for me, it makes way more sense to look forward rather than back.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:27 pm

Those who think Bucks should go seem to forget there is 18 teams in this comp and for much of his tenure he has had a terrible run with injury.
Winning the thing is very hard let alone if some of your best players are missing a lot of games.

Personally, I think he gets the most of out his players and they want to play for him which is easier said than done. I rarely walk away from a loss thinking we did not have a real crack.

On the other hand, I think he needs to concede his high possession game plan wont' cut it, especially when the game is slippery and on smaller grounds. Too often we lose games because we over possess the ball (2019 prelim is the prime example).

Lets see if he can tweak the gameplan. If he does then he stands a better chance of holding his job imo...

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:06 pm

We went into the 2018 GF playing short and we knew it.... we could have played Darcy Moore, even though he was coming back from injury... he was declared fit to play - we didn't pick him and WC big men killed us, the rest is history.

As for Bucks and injuries - every club has them, because they were ours we tend to focus purely on that and forget the other 17 clubs also have the same issues to varying degrees.. also I'm sure he has a big say on our fitness staff...

He's had his chances, and he's had plenty of opportunities to change the game plan (I mean he even has at times for short periods.. and its seemed to work but then we regress back to the same old sideways over possession rubbish..).

He's had his chances.

The best thing this club could do is to show him the exit door..

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:02 am

We wouldn’t have won it if Mick wasn’t leaving. Maxwell and others have admitted that. Playing more attacking, free footy. Recruiting Ball and Jolly. Extra motivation to win it for Mick (Maxwell’s words) can’t be said enough.

Re Bucks, it’s no coincidence we’ve been recruiting taller since 2018.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 am

As much as I admired Tommy Hafey, I think that Malthouse was our best coach in many decades.
2002 was a brilliant effort. We lost by 9 points to one of the best teams ever to have played and who on paper, had many more talented players than we did.
2007 is often overlooked because we didn't get to the GF. We lost an epic prelim by 5 points with the ball in our forward line when the siren went.
Anyone would've beaten PA the next week.
A criticism of Malthouse I have is in selecting injured players in the 2011 GF. Jolly and Reid should not have played.
I don't see that any of this is relevant to how successful or otherwise Buckley has been.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 am

I just hope our next flag isnt much more of a wait i want one by 2024.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:20 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
As for Bucks and injuries - every club has them, because they were ours we tend to focus purely on that and forget the other 17 clubs also have the same issues to varying degrees.. also I'm sure he has a big say on our fitness staff...

No, only GWS has been at that level in the last 5 years, and over 9 year's we're out on our own. (The two clubs have thrown away about 5 flags in the last decade.)

But, yes, he might have had a huge say on fitness guys.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:44 pm

90 nice wrote:
I just hope our next flag isnt much more of a wait i want one by 2024.

I want one by 2022, but I ordered it through Amazon during the lockdown so who knows how long it will take...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: