Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leon Davis endured racism from teammates and club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 am
Post subject: Leon Davis endured racism from teammates and clubReply with quote

This news deserves its own thread. Leon is one of the nicest blokes I’ve met in footy. Everything he says here explains why the club has a history of racism that it’s struggled to deal with in recent years. Anyone wondering why the club struggles to recruit indigenous talent can wonder no more.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/20/former-collingwood-player-leon-davis-we-dont-want-our-kids-to-have-to-go-through-the-bullshit

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A troubling read.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:21 pm

I have no doubt that Leon's account is true and likely typical. The only issue I have with this reporting is the public perception that this is a particularly Collingwood phenomenon.

Racism is league wide and no worse at Collingwood than anywhere else. probably better than a lot of clubs.

Collingwood traditionally has garnered the most attention for every negative incident because the Pies sell papers and football culture invites hatred of Collingwood.

We're at the centre of the current storm only because we're taking steps to address it. The only club to tackle it head on and the public takeaway has become 'racist Collingwood'.

Even Lumumba said...
"I can guarantee you if the AFL was extensively audited, it would reveal even worse findings than the Collingwood Football Club,”
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-racism-review-would-have-findings-even-worse-than-collingwood-lumumba-20210203-p56z6w.html

We should acknowledge the issues and take action but reject, outright, the attempt to paint Collingwood as 'THE racist club'.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:31 pm

^^ Redlight, that’s why Ed said it was a proud day for the club. I’m still filthy at McLachlan for putting on his fake outrage about it to deflect attention from the AFL and make himself look good. AFL and other clubs have more skeletons in the closet than Collingwood. We’re addressing ours — they’re not, and happy to see us get all the attention. But the fact is, what Leon experienced is shocking and the club should be ashamed. Lumumba and his nickname too, even though as Caff said they thought it had been addressed.

Wellingham’s mum tweeted he experienced racism, and Wellingham himself said he personally didn’t get it at Collingwood. Which puts West Coast under the spotlight. It’s AFL wide, and it’s particularly a problem with elite groups — AFL clubs, SAS, police, etc — where the nail that sticks out (speaks their mind) gets hammered down.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:37 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
A troubling read.

I’m thinking of the players around in Leon’s first year and I just can’t fathom Buckley and Pebbles for example being a part of it. Maybe they did a Shae McNamara, told players they shouldn’t do it once, then got on with focusing on their footy. Like Leon said, he was treated like a snitch for too long but he learnt to be more assertive and call it out when he saw it.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:57 pm

Redlight wrote:
Racism is league wide and no worse at Collingwood than anywhere else. probably better than a lot of clubs.

We have no way of knowing either way.

Sadly, we do know that two presidents have embarrassed themselves and the club with their words. Has any other club had even one (in modern times)?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:50 pm

K wrote:
Redlight wrote:

We have no way of knowing either way.

Sadly, we do know that two presidents have embarrassed themselves and the club with their words. Has any other club had even one (in modern times)?

Jeff Kennett. Others spring to mind, but none of them are as prolific in the media and as nationally well known as Eddie Maguire.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Jeff Kennett. Others spring to mind, but none of them are as prolific in the media and as nationally well known as Eddie Maguire.

What allegedly racist statement has Jeff made? (I reckon the best candidate is Elliott, but I don't know of any racist statement he made either.)
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:01 pm

K wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:

What allegedly racist statement has Jeff made? (I reckon the best candidate is Elliott, but I don't know of any racist statement he made either.)

You didn’t say racism, you just said embarrassed themselves and the club with stupid words.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:02 pm

I mean racism.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:49 pm

K wrote:
I mean racism.

Quite a few, but behind closed doors. Not publicly like our two blockheads
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Why would anyone investigate another club? That isn't newsworthy. Well maybe Essendon.

Not saying Collingwood hasnt been wrong in the past or made any bad decisions in the past few weeks, but another club could have Adolf Hitler in charge and it would get little fanfare.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Have you seen the number of stories about Hardwick’s marriage? Pretty sure the press would be all over it if it was Richmond in our place
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:52 pm

I thought he cheated on his wife with a significantly younger member of his staff and then left the wife for her. Seems pretty straight forward. Or was it more messy than that?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:57 pm

I’ve always been dirty with Mick for dropping Leon for the grand final rematch. I often wondered if it wasn’t about how many kicks he got, but just that Mick didn’t like him. After reading the article, I can imagine Leon still wasn’t accepted by certain people at the club for speaking up about racism and rocking the boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: