Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Energy market deregulation in Texas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:08 pm
Post subject: Energy market deregulation in TexasReply with quote

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-22/texans-stuck-with-high-electric-bills-after-winter-storm/13177926

A small rethink may, perhaps, be required.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that there's a lot of rethinking about renewal energy with the next big thing not being wind turbines and solar cells on the ground, but satellites being used to beam solar directly from the sun to earth, 24/7. One satellite will collect, then beam to another which will transmit it to earth. Apparently China are well advanced with this and there is a joint project between a US and Australian company that's been going on for a while, and they're about to address a parliamentary committee about it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:42 pm

It was actually the market deregulation issue that I was raising. Any system in which ordinary people have to pay $1,000 per day for electricity to keep themselves from dying of hypothermia is self-evidently broken.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm

the federal government has to do something, they have to make them accountable, charge them with homicide

https://abc13.com/hypothermia-deaths-freezing-to-death-texas-cold-weather-winter-storms/10357317/

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:44 pm

In any half-sane deregulated market, there are set maxima. Failing to have a regulated safety net maximum price is completely insane.

Beaming power from space is likely to be a ridiculously expensive boondoggle. It is far more sensible to use a mix of proven, cost-effective technologies to achieve the same goal: the two key ones are

(a) pumped hydro (and various broadly similar storage technologies) to move energy across time from when it was generated to when it is needed, and

(b) HVAC to move energy from place to place. HVAC is so efficient that it is perfectly sensible to consider use solar power from Australia to cook pre-dawn breakfasts in India. Already we have very long (many thousands of kilometres) HVDC lines in successful commercial use all around the world, and even longer ones are under construction.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 pm

Tannin wrote:
In any half-sane deregulated market, there are set maxima. Failing to have a regulated safety net maximum price is completely insane.

Beaming power from space is likely to be a ridiculously expensive boondoggle. It is far more sensible to use a mix of proven, cost-effective technologies to achieve the same goal: the two key ones are

(a) pumped hydro (and various broadly similar storage technologies) to move energy across time from when it was generated to when it is needed, and

(b) HVAC to move energy from place to place. HVAC is so efficient that it is perfectly sensible to consider use solar power from Australia to cook pre-dawn breakfasts in India. Already we have very long (many thousands of kilometres) HVDC lines in successful commercial use all around the world, and even longer ones are under construction.

Glad you're not in charge then!
The educated estimates are that beaming solar from space will be 7 times cheaper than current measures. The talk is that within 10 years that will be the way that things are.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:23 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It was actually the market deregulation issue that I was raising. Any system in which ordinary people have to pay $1,000 per day for electricity to keep themselves from dying of hypothermia is self-evidently broken.

Yes, I knew that, but the story you referred to was a follow up to other stories about Texas decommissioning traditional power plants and replacing them with wind and solar. Good in theory, bad in a blizzard.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:56 pm

This story explains how the de-regulation came to be, as well as how Texas was leading the country in Wind and other renewable energy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-19/texas-power-fails-and-people-are-freezing-to-death/13166870

Apart from the regulatory failures in pricing, the lack of a back up power grid is clearly the big one

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:55 pm

About 20 years ago I was quoted $28k by the power company to bring power to my front gate then it was up to me to get it the next 200m or so to the house. I am only about 30km from the Melbourne GPO.

I decided to go with a wind and solar hybrid system instead. The house is on top of a hill, I can see the CBD, Kinglake and the Dandenongs. For a budget of $30k I was told I was wasting my time and that unless I had a big generator backup I would be blacked out when I really needed power.

Mains power was my obvious choice.

Texas found out why wind power only survives around the world, with a 44% government subsidy on average, to keep it viable.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:16 pm

Oh dear, I sense a new climate denier in the room.

Betcha I'm right.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Tannin wrote:
Oh dear, I sense a new climate denier in the room.

Betcha I'm right.

No, I definitely agree with you. I am sure there is a climate. I won't deny it.

What makes me a climate denier, whatever that is, by saying that the future is in solar, not wind?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:48 pm

It is a standard practice of climate deniers to seize on some pie-in-the-sky future technology (fusion is a popular choice, but there are many others) and pretend to spruik it as The Answer To Everything. The actual aim, of course, is to deflect calls for practical action using technologies that (a) are available now, and (b) actually work.

Carbon capture is another favourite kick-the-can-down-the-road meme. Now it might be that this isn't the purpose of proposing this doesn't-work-yet technology. Benefit of the doubt and all that, but I get suspicious whenever I see something walking like a duck and saying "quack".

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:52 pm

Your argument sounds like something out of Monty Python. Specifically, the witch drowning scene.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:41 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
About 20 years ago I was quoted $28k by the power company to bring power to my front gate then it was up to me to get it the next 200m or so to the house. I am only about 30km from the Melbourne GPO.

I decided to go with a wind and solar hybrid system instead. The house is on top of a hill, I can see the CBD, Kinglake and the Dandenongs. For a budget of $30k I was told I was wasting my time and that unless I had a big generator backup I would be blacked out when I really needed power.

Mains power was my obvious choice.

Texas found out why wind power only survives around the world, with a 44% government subsidy on average, to keep it viable.

My personal opinion is that wind and solar are only viable as either top ups to a solid grid, or you store it in batteries which wasn't an option 20 years ago.

With a decent battery you could go completely off the grid with a combination of wind and solar. Shit, in regional NSW you could make a profit selling excess power back to the grid once your battery was charged

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:05 pm

There were batteries back then but the capacity was nowhere near as good as they are now. At the same time our neighbour who had only a big solar set up , had the generator running every night over wiinter. The problem was that there wasn’t enough sunlight south of the Great Dividing Range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: