Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Players on our list that should not be

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:58 pm
Post subject: Players on our list that should not beReply with quote

They are:

Josh Thomas
Tom Wilson
Darcy Cameron
Max Lynch
Chris Mayne
Nathan Murphy
Will Hoskin Elliott
Jack Madgen

These 7 i was thinking should have been delisted and in the case of Mayne go back to play out his career in perth.

Are we surprised we still have these players on our list still.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would you have replaced them with?
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:48 pm

We ran a fair broom through the list just months ago, would've been drafting under 12's if we cut all these!

Although I was surprised Mayne buttered up
Alex 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:28 pm

We lost 13 players this offseason, you wanted more?

Thomas - Back up player for injuries, Bucks probably hopes he can get back to 2018, i think this will be the last year for him though
Wilson - This will be his third year on the list, he was always going to be a long term prospect, hopefully he can debut this year
Cameron - Back-up ruckman and key forward.
Lynch - Not sure why he wasn't delisted, only one of this list that I would have moved on from too.
Mayne - Back-Up
Murphy - Very talented, hopefully he can get on the field this year.
WHE - Borderline best 22, kicked 42 in 2018, hopefully he can find some form in 2021.
Madgen - Breakout 2020

So for me, one of the 7 should have been delisted, and he probably wasn't because of the amount of delistings we had already gone through before him. The answer is no, I wasn't surprised.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm
Post subject: The explanationReply with quote

Another theme is the “I hope they get back to their 2018 form””

These players will not even get close to that “2018 form” that we keep praying they will.

It’s 2021 we must plan for the future not 2018
Alex 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 pm

I agree, I dont think any of these players will get back to their 2018 form, I do think that all of these players have a role for at least 2021 or longer (except Lynch) which is why they were kept on the list this season.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 pm

Alex wrote:

Thomas - Back up player for injuries, Bucks probably hopes he can get back to 2018, i think this will be the last year for him though
Wilson - This will be his third year on the list, he was always going to be a long term prospect, hopefully he can debut this year
Lynch - Not sure why he wasn't delisted, only one of this list that I would have moved on from too.
Mayne - Back-Up
WHE - Borderline best 22, kicked 42 in 2018, hopefully he can find some form in 2021.
Madgen - Breakout 2020

So for me, one of the 7 should have been delisted, and he probably wasn't because of the amount of delistings we had already gone through before him. The answer is no, I wasn't surprised.

agreed

Madgen in particular was immense in crucial momnets last year- no fuss so missed by many.
I would add that mayne is a great perosn to keep around as back up- an amazing clubman who sets a great example on and off the field
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:15 pm

Because 44 Gary Abletts are available.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:49 am

Presti35 wrote:
Because 44 Gary Abletts are available.

That would be the most hated team ever Smile

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 am

Alex wrote:

Mayne - Back-Up
Madgen - Breakout 2020

Hard to argue against this synopsis. I do agree with 90 nice comments about "returning to 2018 form", though. Even if that were likely, Thomas' form in 2018 was not outstanding. In the words of the late Jack Dyer, "he's a good ordinary player".

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:41 pm

I tend to agree with the majority of responses here - of the players mentioned in the OP, Lynch is the only one I would have thought possibly lucky.

FWIW my thoughts on those mentioned.

Josh Thomas - depth player able to fill in and do a job if injury requires. No fuss, no frills experienced player

Tom Wilson - from all reports has been outstanding in preseason. This kid was a highly regarded underage prospect before choosing basketball. Give him some time - he could be a star or he could flame out - he deserves a continued chance and should debut this season

Darcy Cameron - Showed some signs last season and is a solid back up option. Cox is clearly viewed as a key forward which indicates if Grundy were to go down, Cameron is the 1st ruck back up.

Max Lynch - given a run last season and didn't look up to it. Has played some good footy at VFL level and may be just that - a good VFL player. Is still young and developing (bigs can take longer). Has very good size and stays on the list purely for the mullet.

Chris Mayne - will be fringe best 22 this season. Has been very good after his initial debacle. He may be slow of foot and with ball in hand, but he gives everything and provides inspiration with his effort. Has bulked up in the offseason so a new role may be in the offing... will wait and see.

Nathan Murphy - immensely talented and when debuted early, showed his class. Needs a good run of injury free footy. Could very well become an automatic best 22 selection. Too early to give up on such a talented youngster.

Will Hoskin Elliott - has been out of form for probably 2 years interspersed with glimpses of good footy. I like him best as a deep forward or isolated one on one on the arc - hasn't had a lot of opportunity in those roles recently. Should start as a best 22 player and that spot will be his to solidify or lose.

Jack Madgen - really???? Did the OP miss last season completely? Along with Daicos, was the most improved player and biggest success story of our last season.

Thing about list management is that the entire group cannot be best 22 stars - you need depth players. Teams pushing in the top half of the ladder (like us) need depth players with experience who can be relied upon to perform their role. Rebuilding teams have the luxury of youngsters as depth.

We appear to be trying the rebuild while remaining competitive i.e. we have depth with experience that can do a job and we also have exciting youngsters.

Following the fallout of the salary cap mismanagement, I think we've rebounded extremely well and the list is in very good shape. We have 20 of last seasons best 22 still running around and allowing for internal development from fringe and untried youngsters, you can expect those spots (and more) to be taken.

I'm far more bullish than most it seems, but I believe there is justification.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:22 pm

every club needs backup players, and they need to be of a standard high enough to not do too much damage to the team overall. This works as long as you only have a few of your backup players in.

Perhaps a better title for this topic would be 'Players you would prefer not to see in your best 22'.

that being said

Murphy - i really know nothing about him, some posters call him extremely talented, would like to know on what this is based

Wilson - same, ex basketballer, give him a chance

Madgen - perhaps Jack Dyer's description would fit him, because he was very good last year, and will continue to perform well if asked to play. If you want to win a premiership, you may want someone a bit more classy, but he is a good pick up as a Cat B basketballer
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:23 pm

Pretty crap thread IMHO. Hate the negativity. I reckon the less posts like this the better the overall energy around how we feel about these young blokes just trying to carve their path in AFL at the mighty Pies.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:47 pm

Supporters at our club that should not be ...
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:44 pm

dalyc wrote:
Supporters at our club that should not be ...

Post of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: