Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Andrew Krakouer and the racist joke told by team mate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:28 pm
Post subject: Andrew Krakouer and the racist joke told by team mateReply with quote

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/exmagpies-indigenous-star-andrew-krakouer-opens-up-about-the-racism-he-was-subjected-to-during-his-time-at-collingwood/news-story/1839fed27c572644e95dc655359f31a3

I am disgusted by this. Words fail me.

Last edited by Bucks5 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Paywalled
The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 pm

think positive wrote:
Paywalled

If the Herald-Sun genuinely was concerned about racism, the article would be open for the public to read. But clearly, selling papers is more important to them.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:40 pm

Sorry guys, didn't realise. Here is the intro, hope this is not breaking the rules.

Ex-Magpies indigenous star Andrew Krakouer opens up about the racism he was subjected to during his time at Collingwood

Andrew Krakouer says he will never forget the racial slur that cut him to his core in the Collingwood change rooms.

Standing in front of his locker at the club’s Holden Centre headquarters midway through the 2012 season, the star Magpies forward overheard three teammates sharing a brazen joke about Aboriginals.

“I’ve got no interest in mentioning any names, but there was a group talking and I heard the word ‘Boong’ come up,” Krakouer says.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:39 pm

I really think it's time for Buckley and Maxwell to step down from their jobs at Collingwood. How the coach and captain during this time can still be "representing" the club isn't helping us move forward. And Malthouse shouldn't be given oxygen either.
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm
Post subject: Andrew KrakourReply with quote

Oh Nooooo!!!
It is soo disappointing to hear more stories like this come out. Everyone who was at the club is tarnished by these reports..

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:09 pm

I honestly can't see how Bucks can survive the season, on field it will be difficult, off field even more so.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:25 pm

Buckley wouldn’t have a clue what gets said in the locker room, ffs. Did Krak go and tell anyone? Doesn’t sound like he did. Wish he’d name the players though, publicly shame the pricks. For all we know they were players who were traded, delisted, moved on.

And would it hurt the HS to put “overheard racist joke” in the headline? Guess that wouldn’t get more clicks than making it sound like Krak was abused directly. Still doesn’t excuse what happened, and overhearing racism can be just as hurtful.

I’ve heard worse from players at other clubs (and I know indigenous and players/staff there with a conscience heard it too), but that doesn’t sell papers and if they keep it in the club, no one knows. Our club though, ffs...
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:34 pm

I've been waiting for Kraks name to come up. Leon last week. Who next week?

Agree with Miyagi. No excuse for what was said, but how about telling us who the players were, what season it was, if the coaches knew or did anything about it, etc.

The saddest part of all of this is the people outside judging the club. Sticking the boots in. Saying we're a disgrace. The same people that will be telling a racist joke or listening to Kevin Bloody Wilson songs with their mates on their lunch break.

Does anyone care that I was racially vilified when I worked for ANZ? I doubt it.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:03 pm

I don't have access to the Herald-Sun but, going by your summary, perhaps you can change the title of the thread from "Andrew Krakouer racially villified at club" to "Andrew Krakouer overhears racist joke at club".
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:47 pm

I've read the article and can provide a basic summary.

1. Krakouer overheard three teammates making a racist joke in the locker room in mid 2012 (as per the quote in Bucks5's post).
2. He confronted them and they tried to laugh it off. When they realised he was serious, two of them walked away and he was left to talk to one of the players, who doubled down on why he thought the word was funny (talking about Aboriginal people being hit by cars).
3. The exchange made him wonder what he was doing at the club and whether it was an "unsafe" place. He has only told a "handful" of people the story up until now but told nobody at the time "out of fear of being driven out".
4. He's been inspired to talk about it now because Lumumba and Davis spoke up. He says he stands with them "110 per cent".
5. He's disappointed by the club's response to the "Do Better" report and feels that they were making excuses and don't really "understand or acknowledge what has really happened".
6. He's reached out to the club privately in the past to offer to help with the creation of new policies, but they've never expressed interest, which has made him feel "disregarded" and not valued.
7. He still regrets playing the week after the McGuire remarks in 2013, and says he felt pressured into it. He repeats that he felt that "was the beginning of the end" for him at the club. He says that, after retiring, he later lost complete interest in football until being invited to participate in the Marngrook Footy Show in 2018.
8. He says the question of whether or not Collingwood is a "racist club" is irrelevant, and that the entire country, like the club, has a racist past that it needs to confront.
9. Krakouer and others are unhappy that the twelve-person panel that the club has put in place doesn't involve any former players.
10. He says the treatment of Lumumba on The Project and more broadly was "absolutely disgraceful", but that he has been inspired by the way Lumumba has approached these issues.

themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:50 am

Young men making racist or even sexist jokes, why I never 🙄

Has no one here never put on a scottish, french, indian, italian or chinese accent, especially with their mates?

Is it racist? Apparently in 2021, it is.

Disrespecting an indivual because of their race is not acceptable, laughing at each others cultural differences is human nature, I understand there is a huge grey area depending on comments and who they are direct at, however this is now a witch hunt.
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:17 am

And being an indigenous man you know how this feels because........? Racism is about power imbalance and privilege. How many examples do we need that the people hurt by these issues are genuinely hurt before people stop making excuses. Using history as a precedent is very dangerous as it allows all kinds of things that we now know are wrong.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:11 am

Im just a [snip] that grew up in the 60's & 70's, what do I know about it.

Oh please
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:56 am

That joke is primary school level, no wonder the club can’t win any flags with players that $$%^%%$ stupid. Two of them pissed off too, and the one Krak caught defended the joke — name them if they’re still at the club, we don’t want players that $$%^%%$ dumb in the team. And to think these shitheads are probably on 500k. Maybe we should introduce an IQ test at draft camp.

But I’ve heard racist jokes in lawyers offices, from bankers and people on a lot of money with degrees on their walls too. Asian friend posted a racist joke on Facebook about white people recently and got heaps of laughs and likes. Racism is everywhere, on all sides, within all ethnic groups. Listened to Dr Charlie Teo about his experience growing up and he got as much racism from fellow Chinese as he did whites. Some people are better at hiding their racism than others, but because white people run the system and the footy clubs and politics they’re the ones in the spotlight with the responsibility to stamp it out, and they’re the ones who get the blame. But it’s impossible when other ethnic groups aren’t dealing with their own shit. FFS still seeing [snip] jokes on Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: