Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Andrew Krakouer and the racist joke told by team mate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Monk, I'm also a [snip] who grew up in the 60's and 70's. A [snip] who , sadly, told racist jokes in the distant past.
Unless they've been living under a rock, people of our age have been exposed to plenty of information since the 60's to enable them to understand that an indigenous person's experience in this country is vastly different to their own.

I can't pretend to understand what it's like to be in Andrew Krakour's shoes but I can easily accept him at his word when he states that overhearing the racist joke was extremely hurtful. I don't understand why you can't.

I know a few blokes our age that have probably responded the same way to this report that you have. In their cases I know them and I know that it's due to their lack of empathy and\or their inability to admit that their casual racism is wrong.

GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 am

Hear hear!
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am

Yawn.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 am

npalm wrote:
Hey Monk, I'm also a [snip] who grew up in the 60's and 70's. A [snip] who , sadly, told racist jokes in the distant past.
Unless they've been living under a rock, people of our age have been exposed to plenty of information since the 60's to enable them to understand that an indigenous person's experience in this country is vastly different to their own.

I can't pretend to understand what it's like to be in Andrew Krakour's shoes but I can easily accept him at his word when he states that overhearing the racist joke was extremely hurtful. I don't understand why you can't.

I know a few blokes our age that have probably responded the same way to this report that you have. In their cases I know them and I know that it's due to their lack of empathy and\or their inability to admit that their casual racism is wrong.

Think what you like but I am not racist, in my job I work with individuals from all races and I respect people based on their professionalism and output, nothing else.

However, if as people we can't laugh at the obvious differences based on our background and up bringing then life is a little sadder.

I'm good thanks, sorry that's racist.
npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 am

"...laugh at the obvious differences based on our background..."

That's not what we're talking about here. And I suspect you know it.
Or do I need to dredge up a list of racist jokes from a some sewer hole on the net to show you.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:51 am

Quote:
That joke is primary school level, no wonder the club can’t win any flags with players that $�$%^%%$ stupid. Two of them pissed off too, and the one Krak caught defended the joke — name them if they’re still at the club, we don’t want players that $�$%^%%$ dumb in the team.

So, if players who committed the crime of laughing at a racist joke shouldn't be at the club, what about a player who kicked a man into a coma? Should he have been at the club?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 am

You know who went to jail for assault and played for Collingwood? We can play this game all day.

Fact is, racist shit continued at Collingwood even after Lumumba gave his talk, Leon spoke up about it, and the club educated players.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:15 am

What about a player who currently has sexual assault allegations against him. Should he be at the club?
I'm just saying, if we're establishing a regime of moral perfection at Collingwood, what's in and what's out of scope?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:19 am

Indecent assault, not sexual. Has he been found guilty in a court? Do we know what the exact accusations are? Patting a woman on the butt is indecent assault. Telling a woman, “nice tits!” is indecent assault. JDG is also co-accused, there’s another guy facing the same charge.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:59 pm

themonk wrote:
this is now a witch hunt.

There's a lot to disagree with in your post, but I think this is the thing that's most arse-backwards about it. Krakouer knows exactly who the player is who defended the joke (and the two who were laughing along at it), but he makes it plain that he's not interesting in naming names. Pretty weird kind of witch hunt where people are focused on changing the culture and behaviour instead of pointing to scapegoats, isn't it? It's almost like it's ... the exact opposite of a witch hunt.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:53 pm

David wrote:
I've read the article and can provide a basic summary.

1. Krakouer overheard three teammates making a racist joke in the locker room in mid 2012 (as per the quote in Bucks5's post).
2. He confronted them and they tried to laugh it off. When they realised he was serious, two of them walked away and he was left to talk to one of the players, who doubled down on why he thought the word was funny (talking about Aboriginal people being hit by cars).
3. The exchange made him wonder what he was doing at the club and whether it was an "unsafe" place. He has only told a "handful" of people the story up until now but told nobody at the time "out of fear of being driven out".
4. He's been inspired to talk about it now because Lumumba and Davis spoke up. He says he stands with them "110 per cent".
5. He's disappointed by the club's response to the "Do Better" report and feels that they were making excuses and don't really "understand or acknowledge what has really happened".
6. He's reached out to the club privately in the past to offer to help with the creation of new policies, but they've never expressed interest, which has made him feel "disregarded" and not valued.
7. He still regrets playing the week after the McGuire remarks in 2013, and says he felt pressured into it. He repeats that he felt that "was the beginning of the end" for him at the club. He says that, after retiring, he later lost complete interest in football until being invited to participate in the Marngrook Footy Show in 2018.
8. He says the question of whether or not Collingwood is a "racist club" is irrelevant, and that the entire country, like the club, has a racist past that it needs to confront.
9. Krakouer and others are unhappy that the twelve-person panel that the club has put in place doesn't involve any former players.
10. He says the treatment of Lumumba on The Project and more broadly was "absolutely disgraceful", but that he has been inspired by the way Lumumba has approached these issues.

im at a loss for words, i know they are dumb footballers, not rhodes scholars etc, but $$%^%%$ hell, he had the guts to confront them and 2 walk away and the other argues his point? what the **** kind of people were/are managing this club?

im just so close to done with the AFL, collingwood, and sadly, some of the people here. how $$%^%%$ dare you trivialise this?

there is just too much out there.

yes ive copped it too, for more reasons than where i was born, so what, this isnt my story, and it makes their story no less valid.

until we stop with the bullshit excuses, we are $%$ed, the karma bus???? its gone way past our stop! just stop it. im so embarrassed, sad angry, you name it. pathetic.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:22 pm

A little perspective peeps. There are probably around 100 people (players, coaches, medicos and admin staff) employed by our club. Is anyone really surprised that there might be a handful of drongos amongst them, capable of uttering racist/sexist or other disgraceful language occasionally? I dare say every other sporting club, organisation, business, public or private, would contain some neanderthalism within its ranks. It's a legacy of a shameful past throughout our society where such language and behaviour was more widely overlooked/allowed/condoned by those in authority. The fact that such behaviour is now widely condemned and called out demonstrates, not how racist we are, but rather, how such racism is no longer tolerated.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Back in 2011, Mick Malthouse spoke at a Penfolds lunch at Brisbanes home of Rugby, Ballymore. I always thought it strange Mick flew up during the week of the Qualifying Final.

Queensland Rugby stalwart and Hall of Famer Dick Marks delivered a dated and strained introduction to Malthouse, containing old stories and racist jokes that if it did belong to any era, was long past.
Mick, clearly unimpressed, on opening said "I don't care if a player is black, brown or brindle. If he shows commitment and earns his spot, I'll welcome that player into my side"

The room, fully of Rugby die-hards went very quiet. They could clearly sense Malthouse didn't suffer fools nor the tone of the introduction and the audience clearly was embarrased, particularly by the comments post the event.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:52 pm

People are so precious. Three guys were having a joke between themselves. It was never meant for Andrew Krakouer and it's sad that Andrew overheard them, but the point is it was never directed at him and people say silly things all the time. Footballers are adolescents and say the wrong thing. If it was the captain, vice captain or coach it would be different. Unfortunately we're now living in a society that is itching to condemn the slightest thing that anybody says. People need to harden up because at some point in all our lives we face tragedy, financial hardships, loss of friendships, broken romances, adversities in the workplaces and many setbacks. We either face it all head on or we blame others for the mistakes we make and use it as an excuse to fail.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:59 pm

think positive wrote:

im at a loss for words, i know they are dumb footballers, not rhodes scholars etc, but $�$%^%%$ hell, he had the guts to confront them and 2 walk away and the other argues his point? what the **** kind of people were/are managing this club?

It's mind-boggling isn't it TP. This was in 2012 too, not that long ago, but well into the 21st century would you believe. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
im just so close to done with the AFL, collingwood, and sadly, some of the people here.

I've felt that way through much of the off-season, starting way back with the treatment of Treloar. Totally demoralized because of the actions of the club I love (d) and believed in, combined with the complete corporatization of the game I love and the importance of the almighty dollar.

It took the kindness of a member here who sent me a link to watch the practice match that prevented me from deserting the ship altogether
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: