Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Andrew Krakouer and the racist joke told by team mate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

neil wrote:
What has pissed me off isnt the casual racism or who said what. It is not the fact that Collingwood has a racist past as does Australia. It is the fact that the Collingwood football club has not had a system in place to deal with racism.

This is not the 1970's when casual racism in the workplace was still the norm it is the 21 century. Every place I have worked in the last 20 years has had a no harassment policy with established procedures.

That Collingwood did not bring one into being until 2019 shows the size of the problem.

yup

themonk 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 am

neil wrote:
What has pissed me off isnt the casual racism or who said what. It is not the fact that Collingwood has a racist past as does Australia. It is the fact that the Collingwood football club has not had a system in place to deal with racism.

This is not the 1970's when casual racism in the workplace was still the norm it is the 21 century. Every place I have worked in the last 20 years has had a no harassment policy with established procedures.

That Collingwood did not bring one into being until 2019 shows the size of the problem.

Do other clubs have the policy? are we the last to implement?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 am

themonk wrote:
neil wrote:

not the question that needs asking. We should do better regardless of our standing,

usually when something like this happens the woodwork opens, but i dont see many indigenous players form other clubs coming out into the discussions, do you?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:10 am

What'sinaname wrote:
No, when players aren't named, the club's name is tarnished. If the players were named, we would be talking about those players and their conduct and whether they are remorseful. Look at Michael Long and Damien Monkhorst. That was a Monkhorst, Long issue, not a Collingwood one. The young girl who called Goodes an Ape. We have an identity to discuss, not say this is a Collingwood supporter problem.

Precisely. Individualising the problem. Krakouer doesn’t want to do that, and I respect him for it. What he’s saying is that it’s not just a [Player X] issue, and he doesn’t want it to become a [Player X] issue. Because the issues are much broader than that.

Honestly, the sooner the club and many of its supporters let go of their defensiveness, stop worrying so much about the club’s honour and start to care more about what’s being said and what can be done to fix it, the better.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:47 am

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
No, when players aren't named, the club's name is tarnished. If the players were named, we would be talking about those players and their conduct and whether they are remorseful. Look at Michael Long and Damien Monkhorst. That was a Monkhorst, Long issue, not a Collingwood one. The young girl who called Goodes an Ape. We have an identity to discuss, not say this is a Collingwood supporter problem.

Precisely. Individualising the problem. Krakouer doesn’t want to do that, and I respect him for it. What he’s saying is that it’s not just a [Player X] issue, and he doesn’t want it to become a [Player X] issue. Because the issues are much broader than that.

Honestly, the sooner the club and many of its supporters let go of their defensiveness, stop worrying so much about the club’s honour and start to care more about what’s being said and what can be done to fix it, the better.

yup

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:50 pm

David wrote:

Yup X 2. You're on a roll today David! Very Happy
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 pm

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Generalising throws everyone into the same box which is pretty unfair and
disrespectful to the individuals within the club who don’t have a racist bone in their body.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:40 pm

slangman wrote:
David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

disrespectful to the individuals within the club who don’t have a racist bone in their body.

Spot on.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm

This story really upsets me that bloke's said this to Krak what a f%cking disgrace , Rock Against Racism.

www.facebook/the hybernators
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:30 pm

slangman wrote:
David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Is there a person alive who "doesn’t have a racist bone in their body"? Too many seem to be obsessed with who people are (i.e. racist or non-racist) rather than what they do.

Surely the only relevant thing here is that one of our very few Indigenous players in the last decade felt isolated as a result of aspects of the club’s culture, and didn’t have any pathway to getting such issues rectified when he was playing. That’s the headline here. But again, people seem to be more annoyed by the fact that he’s bringing it up, or that he’s not doing so in a way that they would find more satisfying or less confronting. But he’s not the one saying that so-and-so should be sacked, or the club should be boycotted, or that all Collingwood players are racist; he’s just talking about what happened to him and using it as an example of what he’d like to see changed for the better.

themonk 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:14 am

think positive wrote:
themonk wrote:
neil wrote:

not the question that needs asking. We should do better regardless of our standing,

usually when something like this happens the woodwork opens, but i dont see many indigenous players form other clubs coming out into the discussions, do you?

So you seriously think this only happens at Collingwood and not at other AFL clubs?

😂
slangman 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:17 am

David wrote:
slangman wrote:
David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Is there a person alive who "doesn’t have a racist bone in their body"? Too many seem to be obsessed with who people are (i.e. racist or non-racist) rather than what they do.

Surely the only relevant thing here is that one of our very few Indigenous players in the last decade felt isolated as a result of aspects of the club’s culture, and didn’t have any pathway to getting such issues rectified when he was playing. That’s the headline here. But again, people seem to be more annoyed by the fact that he’s bringing it up, or that he’s not doing so in a way that they would find more satisfying or less confronting. But he’s not the one saying that so-and-so should be sacked, or the club should be boycotted, or that all Collingwood players are racist; he’s just talking about what happened to him and using it as an example of what he’d like to see changed for the better.

If AK intention was not to name and shame then he also could have just said that Collingwood didn’t have procedures in place to deal with issues that players and staff might have had without specifying racism.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 am

^ And then a whole lot of people on here would have dismissed his comments for being vague and unsupported by evidence of any problem that requires correction.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:01 am

I didn't know the five stages of grief model would be applicable here, but yeah, looks like we've reached "bargaining".
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 pm

slangman wrote:
David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Leon talks about this in the latest Age article, that it’s unfair “champion blokes” get the reputation, but he also explains exactly what David thoughtfully wrote. It’ll be unfortunately messy at the start, thing is for us supporters to not take it personally (yeah I have trouble with that too!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: