Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Another twist in this unsavoury saga – it's just been revealed that Lehrmann has been charged with another rape (this time, in Queensland in 2021).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-26/bruce-lehrmann-toowoomba-court-rape-charges/102962680

Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
fair points, but the fact that the article was pulled is BS and if it costs him his job, that's proof the world has gone insane.

I'd look at the rise in fascism and the dangerous road many far right groups (and the just right in general) are travelling down as proof the world is already insane and about to get far worse.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:21 pm

^

Left, Right, Left, Right.......

There's always been nutters on the extremes of both sides, there's not necessarily anymore than there ever has been, they just get a fuckload more airplay with all the social media options now.

And yeah, back to David's post, that's an interesting one.

The article lacks a few points that i saw on 7 news.

1. The implication is that the sex was consensual but the lack of wearing a condom wasn't which is the basis of the rape charge (if I heard it right)

2. He allegedly gave her a false name when they hooked up in a night club, she only realised who he was when she recognised him on TV with the publicity of the Higgins rape case.

Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Left, Right, Left, Right.......

That's garbage, the right is the only one going down this path, in fact they had to weaponize a word that means general enlightenment and equality in society because those values of fairness were really hitting profits.

They've worked out their values are outdated in the modern world and it's time to take the reigns by any means to do what's 'best' for the people.

Left right left right is the goose step we'll all be doing if the right doesn't get back to it's core values of democracy and free markets.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:09 pm

I'm all for presumption of innocence, but it's getting ridiculous at this point. How can he possibly win this case?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/nov/29/bruce-lehrmann-defamation-trial-the-six-lies-he-admitted-to-under-cross-examination-ntwnfb

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:13 pm

Defamation Cases do have a habit of backfiring. Look at BRS. This isn't over. https://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-education/bruce-lehrmann-named-in-toowoomba-rape-charge-20231026-p5efdz#:~:text=Queensland%20Supreme%20Court%20judge%20Peter,refusing%20an%20earlier%20suppression%20application.
Quote:
Queensland Supreme Court judge Peter Applegarth on Thursday afternoon said Mr Lehrmann, charged with two counts of alleged rape in Toowoomba in October 2021, had failed in attempts to argue a magistrate in a lower court had erred in refusing an earlier suppression application.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:16 pm

I don't have a lot of sympathy for this bloke, whether guilty or innocent, he comes across as a sleazey douche.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I don't have a lot of sympathy for this bloke, whether guilty or innocent, he comes across as a sleazey douche.
He's clearly loaded with money judging by his huge legal team. I'm all for due process and in saying that I have friends in Vic Pol and the legal fraternity who simply say "sexual assault" is the hardest case to prove guilt as in most cases it's one person's word against another. This is why many women simply don't come forward and report sexual assault.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I agree he doesn't across as a very likeable person, but Higgins has been no better through this whole process.

It's one giant shitshow from both parties.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:56 pm

^ I don't see how there could be equivalence. She's not been accused of raping anyone - and certainly not in two different cities.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ I don't see how there could be equivalence. She's not been accused of raping anyone - and certainly not in two different cities.

No, but they're both known liars.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:13 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It's all a conspiracy, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:12 pm

Jezza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

No, but they're both known liars.

yep. You wouldn't trust either of them as far as you could throw them.

Good advertisements for the characteristics required of Political Staffers.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:59 pm

All of them, even the boyfriend comes across as Carlton supporters.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:15 am

David wrote:
In other news, Guy Rundle may have published his last piece at Crikey, who have been in damage control over the past couple of days over an article on the Higgins case, which has also been scrubbed from the internet after Higgins herself took to Twitter to denounce it – the only trace of it exists here now: https://pastebin.com/DG1XTaWa

The issues are, specifically, that Rundle got his facts wrong (he claims that Higgins received a $3 million payout from the government, which is apparently way over what she actually received, though the exact amount is unknown), and more generally that he was out of line and acting disrespectfully towards victims of sexual assault by casting doubt on Higgins' allegations and suggesting that she's profited from the claims.

Seems "way over" was a bit of an overstatement:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/details-of-brittany-higgins-2-4-million-settlement-with-commonwealth-revealed-20231207-p5epyx.html

Quote:
The Commonwealth agreed to pay $2.4 million under a settlement with Brittany Higgins that included $1.48 million for lost earning capacity, a formerly confidential deed released by the Federal Court reveals.

The deed of settlement was tendered as an exhibit and released by the court on Thursday in former federal Liberal staffer Bruce Lehrmann’s defamation case against Network Ten and Lisa Wilkinson over an interview with his former colleague Higgins, aired on The Project on February 15, 2021.

Higgins, who was called to give evidence by Ten and Wilkinson as part of their defence to the claim, told the court she received about $1.9 million under a settlement with the Commonwealth finalised in December last year, once legal fees and taxes were subtracted.

The deed breaks down the gross settlement sum into five categories: $400,000 for hurt, distress and humiliation suffered by Higgins arising from alleged conduct during her employment; $1.48 million to cover lost earning capacity; $220,000 for medical expenses; $100,000 for past and future domestic assistance; and $245,000 for her legal costs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 39 of 42   

Jump to: