Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan says “I will walk”

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will be Nathans fate this year...?!??
What are you talking about? Nathan is the messiah and will lead our club to its next flag!!
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
Nathan comes to the realization that the club is bigger than him and that he needs to fall on his sword and resigns.
40%
 40%  [ 34 ]
Nathan finally gets the sack after another bad season.
42%
 42%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 83

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
It won't be Brad Hodge either. Just saying. Luke Hodge maybe.

lol fair call...

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:30 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
It won't be Choco.. you're safe.

Are suggesting Ross Lyon and if so do you have a source.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:10 am

simon tonna wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
It won't be Choco.. you're safe.

Are suggesting Ross Lyon and if so do you have a source.

No source... just a gut feel and reading between the lines (also he's the best 'available' and 'experienced' coach.. even if he's not exactly my or your cup of tea).

Ross is a good coach, his record shows that - he is 100% going to coach again given the 'right' opportunity - note he put himself out of the running for Nth Melb job - straight away, so he's obviously waiting for the right job to appear i.e Collingwood. He's buddy buddies with Eddie (yes yes I know Eddie's not there anymore but I suspect he still has a lot of influence at the club... and he was obviously 'feeling him out' a couple of years back when it looked like he might have to finally punt Nathan.. (he also felt out Paul Roos..)).

Think objectively at what is available out there and the type of candidate our club would chase in a post Nathan era - untried assistant coach? not going to happen.. poach a coach? apart from the obvious choice in Clarkson who would/could it be? C.Scott? Horse? Hardwick? I suspect its highly unlikely any of these guys would raise anchor and sail over to our club...So what does that leave us... It leaves us with the currently available experienced coaches - Choco, Sanderson, G.Ayres, B.Scott and Lyon (I'm sure there are others but are they even worth a mention...).

I'm just following the dots... its not rocket science

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:27 pm

Lazza wrote:
You are probably right and I need to move on from my unresolved anger from when the bloody captain of Collingwood decided to chase money at a new team interstate. Treasonous low act IMO.😡🤬
However if Collingwood go with Choco, I will never ever give up on my dearest maggies but will take a backseat next season and observe from a distance. The issue is that many young posters here and even some players wouldn’t know about his bastard act and Collingwood probably don’t want to get into a shit fight. So it is quite feasible and likely that they will appoint Choco 🥺😟 And as a lifelong loyal supporter I wish him the very best if he gets the gig. BTW, I never meant Hodge or Mitchell. I meant what I said, get a recently retired player familiar with the ever evolving modern game.

Is it a bastard act to say that someone has committed a bastard act, when they haven't?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:49 pm

Yes I think it’s a real bastard act to accuse an innocent person of committing a bastard act. But having actually lived through the bastard act I’m referring to, I can confidently say that it was a bastard act IMO. It broke the hearts of many Collingwood fans including mine at the time. Let the whole club down at a critical time. It is no coincidence that he has never been part of Collingwood ever since. To me, he was a champion who lacked decency and integrity ☹️
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:41 pm

Except, of course, that it wasn't a "bastard act" at all - many of us were on his side at the time and still hold him in the highest regard. The Club was a basket case - no-one could be blamed for wanting out at that time.

Moreover, the contract they offered him was an embarrassment:

Quote:
The rot first set in for Williams towards the end of 1985 when the club asked him to call the players together and request the team take a 20 per cent pay cut. Under the coach who appointed him, John Cahill, Williams was a powerful figure and a leader whose qualities even surprised his critics.

But he was never close to Matthews, who as an assistant coach had also taken a pay cut, and the pair have never revisited that time nor mutually come to terms with it.

Williams supporters, such as Daicos, believed the treatment of the captain was symbolic of the lack of professionalism at the club at the time. Then president Allan McAlister and football manager Graeme Allan, who together delivered the Matthews ultimatum, believed it was symbolic of the new professionalism at the club and that Williams had been naive.

But the contract the club had offered Williams was seen by the captain not to take into account the sacrifice he had made the previous year - one that Geoff Raines and Michael Richardson had not. He learned he was the eighth-highest-paid player at the club and infuriated Matthews by - in the view of the coach - openly receiving offers from Carlton, Richmond and Brisbane. But he never believed the Magpies would let him leave.

"Leigh would have a different view of it," said Williams, "and being a coach now I can see he had his plans. He won a flag four years later so maybe he was justified."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/choco-faces-his-old-demons-20030530-gdvsjb.html

It is interesting to note from that 2003 article that Peter Daicos also took the view (that I have expressed on Nick's previously) that Williams almost singlehandedly won the 1981 GF for us.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:27 pm

Sensei Grundy wrote:
Buckley stating the obvious.

What a f.....g genius.

Ok. So...putting yourself in his shoes, what pearls of wisdom would you espouse?

Give us the full press release Oh Great One!!

<Snip - Let's avoid personal criticism, please. Pies4shaw for BBMods>

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:32 am

The Clarkson rumour mill has begun.
I'm sure we'll figure prominently.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/hawthorn-could-release-alastair-clarkson-from-contract-jake-niall/cb350e45-cd8a-4f4b-8573-a2c3b4550557
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:09 am

Yes and how timely where both Dorks & Pies cannot guarante their coaches another season

One wonders what Mr Wright came to us in his work satchel with ways he saw to improve u

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:38 am

Yes and how timely where both Dorks & Pies cannot guarante their coaches another season

One wonders what Mr Wright came to us in his work satchel with ways he saw to improve u

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Without having been averse to replacing our present coach at any time since the middle of 2015 (and without wishing to open up any further debate on that particular issue - we all have our views and I think we almost all know what they are), one couldn't help but wonder what would move Hawthorn to release Clarkson early. The guy coached them to 4 premierships inside a decade, so you'd want to understand their thinking in letting him go and be reasonably satisfied that they weren't off-loading a problem of some kind.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:03 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
one couldn't help but wonder what would move Hawthorn to release Clarkson early

Maybe they realise he's not going to be there for their next flag? 16 seasons I think, bottom 4 the last 2 - no need to hang on until the bitter end surely, like a bad divorce

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:40 am

Yes but lets say the dawks let him go in a mutual decision at the end of the season and the stars align and our coaching position becomes vacant - will he be hungry enough (not to coach, but to coach totally committed to a new challenge at a new club)? and for how long if he is?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:57 am

Eh, why would he make the switch otherwise, he's got nothing to prove after 4 flags in a row. As far as I'm concerned he can retire after he gets us 1 if he wants
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:23 am

He makes a lot of money being a senior coach and maybe he sees his 'life expectancy' at the dawks is limited (for a number of reason both in and out of control), where as it would be far longer at a new club and as you say - he's got nothing to prove. I'm not saying it would be as bad because I don't think it's possible but remember when the Saints grabbed Blight as coach, he also had nothing to prove.

Maybe getting Clarkson will prove to be a master stroke and he coaches us to a couple of flags, but than again he might just go through the motions and we get a whole lot of hope but not much delivery.

We just need to be careful, specially with our next appointment - but i expect if he was free we'd go for it..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 6 of 49   

Jump to: