Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Yeah, fair point. Considering Chimpanzees and humans share 98.8% of DNA, I guess Carlton Supporters must be around 99.5% Mr. Green
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:17 am

Even AI has gone woke.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/google-apologizes-new-gemini-ai-refuses-show-pictures-achievements-white-people

Big Tech is manipulating AI to support their left wing, white hating agenda.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:17 pm

AI hasn't "gone" woke; it's just a shifting product of programmers and companies that may have biases and rules (or, in this case, overcorrections of biases) in different directions.
I think you vastly overestimate Big Tech's political commitments to, well, anything.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:43 pm

Nah, AI is being programmed as woke. Not condemning pedophilia is no left wing Big Tech.
AI will soon have drag queens read you output.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:02 pm

Maybe I'm over estimating it, but isn't AI supposed to be capable of learning as it goes?
Apart from a few likely hardwired parameters up front, with 10's or 100's of thousands of people running queries every day, wouldn't it's "attitude" start to reflect prevalent societal ones?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:42 pm

This is one of the great ads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amRg2n-L6o

Kia is marketing a new ute that's coming, as yet unnamed, and they make this ad with a bevy of Aus sporting legends as part of a tease campaign. Love it. (I wouldn't buy one, not a personal fan of Kia, my daughter had one, but the Ad I like)
Watch the ad, how many different sporting celebs can you spot? Love the Skull cameo. Laughing

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Maybe I'm over estimating it, but isn't AI supposed to be capable of learning as it goes?

Apart from a few likely hardwired parameters up front, with 10's or 100's of thousands of people running queries every day, wouldn't it's "attitude" start to reflect prevalent societal ones?

One of the interesting things about AI is that it creates a feedback loop – the more AI-generated content appears online, the more the stuff that AI is sampling will itself be AI art and text rather than anything human-generated. So this potentially amplifies mistakes and weird glitches rather than improving its ability to reflect what's being fed in by humans.

I found this a pretty interesting piece on AI's limitations: https://www.wheresyoured.at/sam-altman-fried/

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:42 am

It's hardly a profound or controversial world insight to recognise that most sane adults in most public contexts roughly try to abide by social norms. It's just what functional members of our species do to keep the peace and get things done without bother or controversy — or historically being killed.

These are also products with purpose, one of which is to reduce time spent modifying output. Communicating with extremist groups is just not as lucrative a market as Melon Husk or Demented Donald think.

AI will have to keep learning from actual human language because language is (modestly) dynamic (and more than modestly in some contexts, such as countries between cultures such as South Korea ad multilingual cultures). Relevance will remain as important a factor as it is in search indexing, where a lot of the money is, even if there is some dialectic eventually. But AI has to comprehend input as much as it has to provide sensible output, so it can't fundamentally deviate too wildly or it will degrade its own communication. That said, even AI has variables like tone and register, again showing it already has a superior world understanding than the people going on about woke this and that.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:09 pm
Post subject: Primate breeding establishments and facilities in AustraliaReply with quote

This is not an effort to stir the PETA pot, but I found it interesting there are two primate breeding establishments and facilities in Australia.
A baboon breeding facility in outer Sydney and the National Primate Non-Human Breeding and Research Facility, managed by Monash University in Victoria.
Research includes studies into diseases like HIV-AIDS and much of the research into understanding the human brain and nervous system.

The facility’s permit allows for housing of up to 850 marmoset and macaque monkeys. Very few people have seen inside.
However, recently released (under Freedom of Information) Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) now give a glimpse into the lives and living conditions of the monkeys inside.

So if you live near Lawless Road in Churchill in the Latrobe Valley and your chooks start disappearing, there might have been a breakout...

https://michaelwest.com.au/animal-cruelty-primates-testing/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=2024-03-12&utm_campaign=Michael+West+Media+Weekly+Update

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:29 pm

Interesting, thanks LH. I sit on the fence a bit on animal testing – obviously I'm against it for inessential testing like cosmetics, but if it can genuinely help with saving lives or improving medicines then I think human wellbeing has to take precedence.
I don't mind drawing the line at using some of the more intelligent creatures like primates and dogs, too, but considering the undoubtedly far worse stuff that happens to rodents in labs I'd almost prefer to crack down on that kind of cruelty first.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

COVID claims another victim in Armaguard. Fewer legal cash transactions has made them unprofitable.
Let's be honest, cash is only used for criminal activities these days.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

Oof, that just gave me a "Black Mirror"-style jolt – I wonder how long it is before merely carrying cash on you becomes grounds for suspicion. Shocked

It must be said that credit card transactions are much easier for governments to use for surveillance purposes.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

What'sinaname wrote:
COVID claims another victim in Armaguard. Fewer legal cash transactions has made them unprofitable.

Let's be honest, cash is only used for criminal activities these days.

Trash and treasure markets, garage sales, Bunnings and election booth sausage sizzles.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

^ the latter all have tap and pay these days.
Garage sales have long been replaced by Cash Converters initially, and since then eBay and Marketplace.
Trash and Treasure markets have all but gone by the wayside too.

I know I can go a full month and more without having to handle cash at all.
I also note that in recent trips abroad, I have only used card. Hence why currency converters are disappearing in the suburbs.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Tbh it’s pretty rare for me to handle cash nowadays. I started giving Ingmar a $5 weekly allowance for doing his chores, and it’s been quite an effort to actually ensure I have that (or anything whatsoever) in my wallet at any given time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 30 of 37   

Jump to: