Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies punish Blues. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ Rudeboy

Yes, Sier was very serviceable. If he continues to make that sort of contribution for longer during the game, he would become a real asset in close.

Callum seems to have regressed a little over his last dozen or so games. I personally think a month in the VFL playing as an inside mid would be the best thing for his development. If he dominates, he comes back in and if he doesn’t, he stays there until he does. It’s not like he’s irreplaceable in the seniors. I don’t think his defensive forward role and short term bursts on the ball are doing him any favours.

Tyler is going nicely for a 10 game veteran. The modern day wing is a tough role. You have to get the ball and you have to know where your opponent is at every contest. You will probably cover as much territory as anyone else on the ground. His opponents against Carlton included Walsh and E Curnow ( both were second and third in last years B and F ) Walsh was a number one pick and Curnow has likely completed 5 more pre seasons than Tyler. He would have learnt more in that game about the role than he would have in his entire preseason in front of the whiteboard.
Despite what some people seem to think, ten game players will make mistakes. When they start making more mistakes than their previous games, is when you start worrying. If making mistakes wasn’t an accepted part of their learning curve, we wouldn’t have development coaches. In one more uninterrupted preseason and 20 more games experience, I’m backing him in to become a much improved version of what we’re seeing now.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:10 pm

Another "delicious" aspect, -to quote McAveney- of our win, was that the Bluescum had some of their old bastards there, to celebrate their heartbreaking win over us in the 1970 GF, for 50 yrs Anniversary. Saw many of the old farts up in the stands, cheering on the young Bluescum, very cocky at 3/4 time. Was great these old bastards saw us tear their mob to shreds in last qtr, hope it ruined their night, at least marred it somewhat. I never forget, or forgive, stuff em. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:35 pm

Three votes from me to Jordan Roughead.

The first Collingwood player to bury the knee into an opponent in a marking contest since Cooper and Worthington in the late 1970's.

Not sure who the Carlton player was, but Roughead knocked the stuffing out of him.

Minor payback for all the times Fevola did it to our boys in his career at Carlton...

More, please starting with Joe Daniher this week...

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:48 pm

warburton lad wrote:

The first Collingwood player to bury the knee into an opponent in a marking contest since Cooper and Worthington in the late 1970's.

Not sure who the Carlton player was, but Roughead knocked the stuffing out of him.

Minor payback for all the times Fevola did it to our boys in his career at Carlton...

This. I stood up and applauded in my home. We’re like 3rd or 4th last on the suspended players’ list over the past decade cos we’re too nice. I’m all for discipline, but nothing wrong with being a C within the rules.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:23 pm

Im starting to warm to Noble, makes a few errors, but never gives up, keeps going on and on. I think most teams have types like him, not stars, or champions, but solid types that keep on keeping on. Hes getting better in my book, slowly but surely.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:17 pm

Not sure on Nobel but I’m liking Tyler brown though got nice poise and polished disposal skills and fairly quick
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
warburton lad wrote:

This. I stood up and applauded in my home. We’re like 3rd or 4th last on the suspended players’ list over the past decade cos we’re too nice. I’m all for discipline, but nothing wrong with being a C within the rules.

Agreed. I've said this about Cox. I know he isn't a brickshithouse, but if he hit packs hard, then he would be more effective even if he didn't mark the ball
Pie as a Kite 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:50 pm

warburton lad wrote:

The first Collingwood player to bury the knee into an opponent in a marking contest since Cooper and Worthington in the late 1970's...

Bravo! Not that I'd condone intentional violence, but I'm still waiting for someone to return the favour to Tom Hawkins for his knee into Alan Toovey's kidney 10+ years ago.
Pie as a Kite 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:51 pm

dp, so I'll add something else.

I was pretty happy with Sier's game. I think he had a reasonable presence at the coalface. I'd like to see more of that sort of effort form him.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:29 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
warburton lad wrote:

Agreed. I've said this about Cox. I know he isn't a brickshithouse, but if he hit packs hard, then he would be more effective even if he didn't mark the ball

Magro’s bump on Jezza years ago should be compulsory viewing before each game against Carlscum. I shall never forget being there to watch it and laugh at all the whinging scum fans going off their nut😜Brilliant memories😆

JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:13 am

For the first time in 40 years since 1981, Collingwood have edged Carlton in the head-to-head record and recorded their first win of the 2021 season in convincing fashion by 21 points. The Magpies played a breathtaking brand of footy that set the tone for the remainder of the night. It was a contest that had numerous momentum swings, yet Collingwood were able to respond to each challenge that the Blues gave them, especially after Carlton reduced a 30-point lead early in the second term to 8 points before the Woods booted a settling goal to take a comfortable, yet moderate lead into half time. The second half had fewer goals kicked by both sides, yet Collingwood found a way to score enough goals to extend their lead, before ultimately icing the game late in the final term to secure the points. The Magpies delivered what I wanted from them, which was winning the contested ball, and feeding it to runners on the outside to maintain possession, which then gave the forwards adequate opportunities to take marks and convert goals, when it was a very prominent in the first half, before being slightly wasteful in the second half with a number of dropped marks and missed goals to kill the game off earlier, not that it mattered. I also wanted Brodie Grundy to extract his digit after a poor game against the Bulldogs, and got the desired outcome that he and I would've been wanting and looking for. The third and final bullet point was forward half territory, and forward half stoppages where the Magpies were able to get enough supply and opportunities to create goals they were not able to produce in their previous game. Pleasingly, to convert 16 goals and double their score (106 after scoring 53 in the opening game) is a testament to the character of the team and club. Collingwood won't lose any or very many matches if they're able to conjure and produce 16 goals per game going forward.

Collingwood had ascendancies in disposals by +25 (371 - 346), kicks by +17 (231 - 214), handballs were won by +8 (140 - 132), while contested possessions had a differential of +19 (145 - 126), and intercept possessions had an advantage of +5 (71 - 66). Hit-outs were won by +34 (55 - 21), +24 for tackles (65 - 41), uncontested marks had a margin of +2 (83 - 81), with a differential of +4 for Contested Marks (14 - 10). Carlton's gains came for clearances by +5 (40 - 35), centre clearances were won by +5 (17 - 12), Tackles Inside 50 were won by +4 (9 - 5), and Inside 50s had an advantage of +12 ( 60 - 48 ). The statistical categories in dispute were uncontested possessions (217 each), stoppage clearances (23 apiece), and Marks Inside 50 (13 all).

Scott Pendlebury (30 disposals @ 67%, 372 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 14 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 2 goal assists, 11 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) put on a clinical display, which also had uncharacteristic skill errors.

Taylor Adams (29 disposals @ 62%, 519 metres gained, 18 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal assist, 10 score involvements, 13 clearances, 8 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 9 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was involved in absolutely everything. Won the contested ball, got clearances, laid plenty tackles, set goals up and kicked an improbable goal of the night from the pocket on his non-preferred foot which was reviewed before being given as a goal.

Steele Sidebottom (20 disposals @ 70%, 415 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) got an early goal, before creating numerous scoring chains where he was influential, damaging and impacted the play at every opportunity that came his way.

Brodie Grundy (16 disposals @ 56%, 160 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 51 hit-outs, 7 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 4 Rebound 50s) got better the longer the game went after a slow start. Impacted the play a lot more with his follow-up work after winning his taps. This should be his standard for the remainder of the season.

Jack Crisp (36 disposals @ 69%, 788 metres gained, 15 contested possessions, 21 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) displayed his most prolific game for the club, with stints in the midfield and on the wing, allowing him to be much more dangerous when he wasn't stationed across half-back. Isaac Quaynor's emergence as a rebounding defender is enabling Crisp this lease of life as a midfielder, which he would not be having if Quaynor was not making progress.

John Noble (23 disposals @ 78%, 310 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) is becoming an important playmaker behind the ball with his leg speed, and steady ball use becoming more than useful. Noble is getting an additional role on the wing to provide separation from opponents and packs whenever he gathers the footy.

Darcy Moore (22 disposals @ 91%, 245 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 18 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 6 marks, 3 Contested Marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) has taken his game to a new level this season after an excellent season in 2020. Moore's aggressive and daring ball use to generate scores after taking intercept marks is a sight to behold in every game I watch Moore play. Moore's mark between two opponents in Harry McKay (Moore's direct opponent) and Levi Casboult was one of the biggest highlights and moments of the evening.

Jeremy Howe (22 disposals @ 82%, 345 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) found his feet after an indifferent return to AFL football the previous week against the Bulldogs. Howe was much more assured with his decision-making behind the ball and took his fair share of marks with confidence. Complimented Darcy Moore nicely, and long may that continue in 2021.

Isaac Quaynor (16 disposals @ 75%, 510 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) had a very slow and pedestrian half of footy, before generating significant rebound and transition off half-back in the second half to demonstrate he is ready to take the next step.

Jordan De Goey (16 disposals @ 62%, 283 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 5 Marks Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 12 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 4 goals) had an absolute blinder against Carlton in his 100th game. He was Collingwood's best player at half time in my opinion. De Goey was not able to rage on in the second half as he would have liked or wanted, but the damage he created in the first two quarters (including 3 majors in the second quarter) was very telling and significant.

Josh Daicos (16 disposals @ 88%, 332 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 7 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) got involved when he got introduced into the midfield, and built momentum from there. He became busy, got involved in scoring chains, and converted a classy snap in the second term to open his account this season.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (12 disposals @ 83%, 242 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 8 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) found some much needed form and touch after struggling for most of 2020, and the opening game of the season in 2021.against the Western Bulldogs. Hoskin-Elliott was able to steady the ship in the second quarter with a settling goal when Carlton came back hard. Glad to see Will amongst the marks, score involvements and the scoreboard.

Mason Cox (10 disposals @ 60%, 107 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 4 hit-outs, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 tackles, 8 score involvements & 2 goals) had an unusually sloppy night, where he dropped simple marks and missed goals he would normally convert. Solid effort to kick two goals on an indifferent night for him. Make sure you convert more than you miss, Mason!

Brody Mihocek (9 disposals @ 100%, 316 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 goals) made the most of his limited opportunities and provided an avenue to goal for his teammates at all times. Excellent composure and poise to soak 30 seconds and convert the snap from the Olympic Stand pocket to seal the deal.

Jamie Elliott (5 disposals @ 100%, 114 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 3 contested possessions, 4 kicks, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50 & 2 goals) looked set for a huge night, before landing on his ankle and cracked his fibula, which means he'll be out for 3 months. Elliott kicked 2 goals the previous week against the Dogs, and kicked 2 early majors against the Blues to suggest he was going to kick a bag. Alas, that did not occur and he will be missed.

Collingwood's next game will be against the Brisbane Lions on April 1 at Marvel Stadium. The Lions have been told to stay in Victoria indefinitely. Huge opportunity to knock off a quality opponent in premiership contention on our dunghill in Melbourne. The Lions are surprisingly vulnerable right now, but are highly capable of getting the win that will get their season going in 2021. Collingwood's mission is to delay that outcome for the Lions by another week.

Last edited by JC Hartley on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Magro’s bump on Jezza years ago should be compulsory viewing before each game against Carlscum. I shall never forget being there to watch it and laugh at all the whinging scum fans going off their nut😜Brilliant memories😆[/quote]

Buttsy would have got 10 weeks for that these days. It was a shirtfront. My mate had a transistor radio in his ear and we were on a tram going to Flinders Street and standing as it was packed. Bob said "Thats sad, Jezza had a heart attack and has died" With that the next tram stop half the tram empties with people crying and ran back to Ponces Park. I said is that for real but he said no but I wanted a seat.

Other compulsory viewing should be Banks belting Jones at the G.

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:33 pm

A bit rich what Robbo wrote in Friday's Herald Sun about Carlton losing.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:13 am

Pie as a Kite wrote:
dp, so I'll add something else.

I was pretty happy with Sier's game. I think he had a reasonable presence at the coalface. I'd like to see more of that sort of effort form him.

he must be dropped never to return!! He is useless. Watches the ball too often, simply doesnt want it badly enough.

He needs to be forced to watch 24 hours of Taylor Adams highlights. Massive unit. baby scaredy cat.

And has no tank so we get burnt when he is on the field.

in my opinion, he cost us the 2018 premiership because we were a man down when he was on the field in the second half.

which is sad, because when at a contest and when he can be bothered, he can be a gem with creative handball!

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:24 am

^ Yes but what do you really think

Don't sugar coat it this time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11   

Jump to: